what problems/costs for touring abroad with a 4 tonner?

birdybiker66

I have read on here a while ago that touring abroad is best done in a sub 3.5 ton MH, from what i can recall Toll costs are dearer and I think parking was an issue! I have a Bessacarr E480 (4 ton) and wondered how significant are the costs/problems that I'll encounter when i venture to France, Germany etc, Thanks, Dave

I have a 4.5 ton plus I tow a 2 ton trailer, no problems what so ever apart from the normal which you would have experienced already. With regards to tolls in France yes over 3.5 it's a higher charge, however they don't know and I have never been charged anything other than class 2 campingcar at maned tolled booths. At unmanned if you see the charge will be class 4 then there is an assistance button and they will change it to class 2 for you.

Don't worry it's easier life with a motorhome in France then here, just relax and enjoy.

Roy

We have been touring in Germany and France with a 5 tonne 'van for the last 16 years and have only once or twice come across an "Aire" / "Stelplatz" which was not big enough to accommodate us. And even then there have been alternatives nearby.

Some French towns have 3.5 tonne weight limits and have the "Aire" within the restricted zone - even those have not been a problem as, in typical French fashion, the sign for 3.5 tonne weight limit is usually too late to avoid the area and we have gone in to the "Aire" anyway.

Costs in Germany - Nil

Costs in France - Occasionally heavier tolls but again there are alternatives to the toll roads.

Guest Peter James
In 20 years of full time driving abroad I never even heard of anybody getting weighed. Since your vehicle is not obviously over 3.5 tonne I think you have so little chance of getting into trouble with it the risk can be safely ignored.

We spent 6 weeks touring France last year in our 4.5 ton van. We set ourselves the challenge of not traveling on motorway, so no toll payments and that included getting into Paris.

We had no problems at all, we stayed on a mix of Aires and campsites.

Lenny is right, some small villages are taking over 3.5 ton vehicles on 'a route avoiding village centre', we think we did it 4 times in 2,000 miles, but they are small villages and the route may add a extra minute on your journey.

So go for it.

Intransit

If the 3500KG weight restriction has a picture of a lorry on it when entering a French village or town then it only applies to HGV's. This is normally what they are trying to avoid entering their villages. If it just has the 3500KG on it then it applies to all vehicles. However nobody seems to take any notice and its unlikely you would be pulled.

However in the Alps or Pyrenees if your heading up a pass or mountain and see a 3500KG limit on a road outside a village then I usually take this to mean its going to be very narrow and very steep and probably best avoided anyway. I still go up them though. I work on the wheelie bin principle in the mountains. IF you can see a wheelie bin then they must be able to get a bin waggon up so its probably alright for a MH!

I've never had a problem with our Swift 4T 7.3 metres long travelling in France and Germany. We would expect to divert around small villages but I don't recall it ever happening.

The only indication from the outside as to the weight is the Fiat Maxi badge.

I had a tag axle Hymer for 10 years 4.5tonnes until recently and never had any problems at all in France or any where else for that matter,I seldom used toll roads,and if I did I just paid the toll asked for,some roads have a 3,5 tonne weight limit on them I ignored this often but if it worries you just avoid them we wild camp most times and that is no problem,lots of converted busses doing it with no problems and on the campsites we did use there were often huge American RVs here,I was once refused a campsite in Holland due to the tag axle but that was no problem,another campsite close let us in, cheaper than the first as it happened.We did a tour of Norway recently and over 6 metres length you pay more on the ferries but hey ho thats how it is,so Don,t worry you will have no problems with a 4 tonner.

Guest Peter James
AliB - 2014-02-06 10:30 AM

The only indication from the outside as to the weight is the Fiat Maxi badge.

Lots of Fiat Maxi vans are plated at 3.5 tonnes, so even if you leave the badge on it proves nothing, even to those who know what it means.

lennyhb - 2014-02-05 11:57 PM

One other thing if over 3500kg you are restricted to 80 kph (50mph) on autoroutes in France & autobhans in Germany. Also more and more French villages are banning vehicles over 3500.

Those are the speed limits for goods vehicles, Lenny.

If passenger carrying, which is how motorhomes are classified, and over 3.5 tonnes but under 12 tonnes, the limits are 110 on autoroutes, 100 on dual carriageway major roads with a central reservation, and 80 elsewhere, outside built up areas, unless subject to to lower signed limits. Code de la Route, Article R413-8-1.

If towing, where the combined MAMs of towing vehicle and trailer is over 3.5 tonnes, the limits are 90 on autoroutes and 80 elsewhere.

Brian Kirby - 2014-02-06 6:57 PM

lennyhb - 2014-02-05 11:57 PM

One other thing if over 3500kg you are restricted to 80 kph (50mph) on autoroutes in France & autobhans in Germany. Also more and more French villages are banning vehicles over 3500.

Those are the speed limits for goods vehicles, Lenny. .............(snip)

.....though, to be fair, Brian, France (and to a lesser extent Germany) is one of the European countries that differentiate between goods and passenger carrying vehicles in this respect, many don't..

So, relevant to the original question, you will find yourself limited to 80kmh (and sometimes less) in many European countries, even on motorways, if over 3.5t.

http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/media/7707021/speed_limits.pdf

Archived