drive or ferry to spain?

Ste 1984

hello everyone, just joined the forum, this is my first post. had a great read through a load of threads and some really great info and help out there. only purchased our motorhome last year so still learning the ropes. heading for spain one day next week. have previously driven from calais however im playing with the idea of getting the ferry to santander/bilbao. just wondering what most people tend to do in regards to costs and experiances. thanks.

Looking at the various news reports, do you really want to be a sea in this weather? It will be bad enough crossing the channel, unless you go by tunnel, but to venture out for a day and a half in those conditions you are brave soul.

I enjoy the drive down through France and although, like much of my drive down through England, it can be a bit much of the same. I prefer that to a day and a half looking at blue sea, blue sky but then everybody has their own choices.

If you are short of time, don't like driving and have plenty of money then the ferry is your option.

Edit Ferries also get cancelled and last year if you wanted to return it could have been a wait of 10 days for next ferry

Guest pelmetman
I spent 10 years n the Navy ;-)............certainly wouldn't pay good money to cross the bay of biscuits :D................

If you want to shorten the journey try ferry to St Malo. If you book Santander and the ferry is cancelled due to the weather in the Bay of Biscay you'll probably be offered St Malo for the same day anyway, or Santander in a week's time. Southern Spain is doable in two days from St M.

Thanks very much everyone, much appreciated. I think the drive from Calais makes more sense then cost wise. Don't think the girlfriend would be too happy out at sea in these conditions also. Gonna spend the next couple of months travelling clockwise round spain and Portugal. Chasing the sun is the idea. Thanks again guys.

I also spent 10 years in the Royal Navy and been across the bay of Biscuits many times but there again we did dive but any way we are taking a trip on the Ferry next week end didn't fancy a drive through France then al the way through Spain may be next time this is our first trip abroad

Guest pelmetman
DavyT5 - 2014-02-07 10:37 AM

I also spent 10 years in the Royal Navy and been across the bay of Biscuits many times but there again we did dive but any way we are taking a trip on the Ferry next week end didn't fancy a drive through France then al the way through Spain may be next time this is our first trip abroad

Welcome aboard........so another ex Matelot on the forum ;-)...........there's not many of us ex forces on here :-S...........or not many that'll admit to it :D......

Although does crossing the Bay in a submarine count?.........as you miss the lumpy stuff on top (lol)

Well good luck with your 1st trip abroad Davy. I'm sure you'll have a great time. I'm on no time scale myself so the drive is more apealling, however I will have to try the ferry out at some point. Not sure how the weather is in France but if it isn't the great then I'll have to put my foot down. All the best, happy travels.

Hi joe. Yes I think there's a lot more to see on land and stopping off at a few places on our way down. I don't use the toll roads so although it takes longer we get to see a more little traditional French villages which are quite cool. Cheers, enjoy!!

Dover / Calais for us every time. £110 there and back with an open ended return date. Driving France is soooo good. Spain not bad either ! Above only applies of course if you have the time ! Have a good one which ever way you decide.

Archived