Over cab GRP and windscreen Repair (update)

Cliffy

Well I have repaired the damage to the over cab. It went very well following the advice give by CFS of Redruth Cornwall.

All went in accordance with how Alex on their forum said it would right down to it not being an exact colour match as can be seen in the photo.. I could over spray it but I think that would look worse. I am considering putting a vinyl stripe across the front of the cab over the repair but that will be at a later date.

It cost me around £30 for the filler, acetone and abrasives plus another £20 for Farecla restorer and wax It may not be as good as a professional repair but it saved me £230 and I learnt a new skill and have the gear to patch up elsewhere if I ever need to.

The windscreen replacement has not gone smoothly the first repair leaked they refitted it and it cracked after a week in storage, they replaced it with a new one and now it squeaks, so it looks like it is going back again unless it stops squeaking when the seal is full hardened.

94712433_Overcabrepair.thumb.jpg.86a09847016226843ffb8e9b47c0114e.jpg

Not bad Cliffy :-) Nice tidy job by the looks

See, I knew you could do it!

I can see a slight difference in shade [that's where the skill really comes in] but just leave it to 'weather' - in a couple of months you won't even notice it.

Hope you get the screen sorted........

Cliffy - 2014-02-06 10:55 PM....................The windscreen replacement has not gone smoothly the first repair leaked they refitted it and it cracked after a week in storage, they replaced it with a new one and now it squeaks, so it looks like it is going back again unless it stops squeaking when the seal is full hardened.

Good repair job, Cliff. As said, leave for a few months and see if you can still spot it then. I too think it will tend to disappear.

The sealant for windscreens is rapid hardening, and they usually discourage moving a vehicle for an hour after the new screen is fitted. After that it is, to all intents and purposes, cured and any further cure has minimal further impact on its strength.

The first leak suggests that the screen partially detached duringthe initial cure. That the second cracked suggests they clamped in place to prevent it springing away again, and over-did that. That the third squeaks suggests it has de-bonded and the de-bonded part is rubbing against the surround, meaning it will be liable to leak. All of which suggests to me that the screen profile doesn't match the rebate into which it is being fitted.

It may be a dud batch of screens, they might, I suppose, have mis-identified the screen, or possibly the force of the impact on the original screen has distorted the edges of the surround, so that the standard screen will not fit. Have you kept your insurer informed on this, as I assume they will have paid for the original repair?

I think you should get whoever is doing the job to get a senior technician to attend while the next attempt is made, to determine whether it is the workmanship, the screens, or the surround that is the cause of the problem. An odd failure is accepted, but not three in a row. If these are bona fide replacements and not "el cheapo" jobs, the fit should be near perfect. If the workmanship is up to standard, the result should be right first time. Something is clearly wrong here. Give the head office a ring and ask to speak to someone more senior. Are they doing these replacements at your home/the storage compound, or have you taken the van to their depot? If the former, I would suggest the latter. At present, they are wasting your time. It may be that you should go elsewhere for the replacement, but you will need your insurer to sanction that.

Archived