chip on windscreen

duetto owner

I think if it's within the sweep on the wipers it will(may?) fail..but if you're fully comp', you'll probably find that a repair will be free/cheap anyway.

I had two chips repaired on our Hiace, arranged through insurance, for a tenner.

(..and it didn't affect the ncb).

Sorry-crossed posts

....if it really is the size of a pinhead, then wherever it is it won't be an issue for the MOT test.

(See clarification of rules below).

If, however, you can get free chip repair via your insurance, it is probably worthwhile doing to avoid the possibility of it developing into a crack at some future (and usually inconvenient) time.

WindscreenMOT.JPG.3acc844ef75bea1b1a7a804679706403.JPG

....as an aside, you will note that the guidelines say that the specified damage will "normally" result in MOT failure.

As in a number of areas of the MOT, the tester has some discretion.

My last 'van (an 'A' Class) had a chip in the designated 'A-Zone' from the diagram which was slightly greater than 10mm. The nature of the 'A' Class driving position, wiper geometry and screen depth meant, however, that though it technically could have been a failure, it would never appear in a driver's eye-line during driving, and the tester (for several years) simply (knowingly) discounted it.

I'm with the get it mended brigade. Had a chip in my last A-class and spent months wondering whether to get it done. What persuaded me was a chip that appeared on the trip home in a hire car I had at the time. The following morning, the windscreen was cracked from top to bottom. It was the second hire car I'd had in less than 6 months where the windscreen cracked following a chip - the car was delivered with a chip on the first occasion. Both were blamed on temperature variations, searing heat and cold nights.

just rang caravan guard they give free repairs for windscreen chips [worth noting]. anyway got passed to the glass repair dept of the ins who said if under 3mm and no cracks to ignore.

they also said if passing an autoglass, stop for a second opinion, but needs to be 3mm or cracked for the resin to stick.

• 4 months later...

Not my camper but my car.

Had the windscreen replaced in April by Autoglass then a couple of weeks ago picked up a very small chip in the new windscreen. The original replacement didn't affect my no claims bonus but did result in an increased premium on renewal.

National Windscreens said they would repair it for £36. Autoglass said that because the damage is internal (although I can feel a chip on the outside of the window) they couldn't repair it - the pressure of injecting the resin would almost certainly make it worse. Told me to watch it and if it started to expand they would reassess it and I would probably need a new windscreen.

Went back to National Windscreens who were a bit nonplussed and said it was no different to lots of chips that they repair, although there is a small chance that the windscreen would be damaged.

Has anyone got experience of repairs that go wrong? I've always understood that any damage to glass is likely to get worse, particularly if there are extremes of temperature.

Peter

Archived