steering on a transit

duetto owner

I bought a Hymer van....2.2 transit in 2007. In 2009 during the big freeze the power steering failed. Was told that the oil had frozen and the pump had burnt out.

Cost me the guts of 550euro. Fought hard with ford as there was only 13000 miles on the van ......to no avail. I still maintain it shouldn't have froze......ya learns as you go :'(

duetto owner - 2014-02-13 5:12 PM

got the van back new streering belt, pump and some other bit cost £330 in the end only had 21000 miles on the clock disappointed it failed so early. But the belt must have been slipping slowly for a while the feel of the vehicle is so much better now.

thanks again for all that helped with advice.

Could this be a case of " lazy van" again, a work horse only doing 4K a year.

duetto owner - 2014-02-13 5:12 PM

got the van back new streering belt, pump and some other bit cost £330 in the end only had 21000 miles on the clock disappointed it failed so early.

BIFFO - 2014-02-13 6:44 PM

I bought a Hymer van....2.2 transit in 2007. In 2009 during the big freeze the power steering failed. Was told that the oil had frozen and the pump had burnt out. Cost me the guts of 550euro. Fought hard with ford as there was only 13000 miles on the van ......to no avail.

Must admit i'd be more than disappointed at these sort of mileages, though it does have to be said OP your van annual mileage is just 4200 miles. I've recently sold my car for this reason alone. My van was standing too long and of course whenever i was away the car didn't get used..When i looked at the mileage on my cars MOT, i didn't hesitate.....it went up on Gumtree and four hours later was sold. Now i use my van as sole transport and it's certainly much better.

My van is a 2000 reg Transit Mk5 model but even that has some 'pricey parts' which can go wrong compared to the Mk3/4 which was way more basic with straightforward 'simple mechanics'. The silly 'fly by wire' electronic accelerator fitted to Mk5's onward is a daft idea IMO. After all, on the Mk3/4 if your accelerator pedal suddenly dropped to the floor and you lost power, you knew instantly what was wrong and all it cost was twelve quid for a new cable, fitted in a matter of few minutes.

But to have a major fail as you had on a five year old vehicle just isn't on.......'Biffos' 'experience' is even worse!

My old Mk3 didn't have PAS and must admit to being hesitant when buying it, but it was a SWB model and after i'd driven it a few miles was surprised at how well it handled and naturally anything above 20mph you forgot you had no PAS!

Archived