Three score and ten!!!!

Don Madge

Those fast approaching the three score and ten mark might find the following information useful. Three years ago I was unable to pass that dreaded over 70 medical. I can still drive vehicles up to 3500kg without taking a medical. On my current license (which must be renewed every three years when you are over 70) I have the following categories. B. Motor vehicles with a MAM not exceeding 3500kg having not more than 8 passenger seats with a trailer up to 750kg. Combinations of towing vehicles in category B and a trailer, where the MAM of the combination does not exceed 3500kg and the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen mass of the towing vehicle B+E. Combinations of vehicles consisting of a vehicle in category B and a trailer, where the combination does not come within category B f Agricultural tractors k Mowing machine or vehicle controlled by a pedestrian l. Not listed on DVLA site n. Not listed on DVLA site. p. Mopeds with an engine capacity not exceeding 50cc and a maximum design speed not exceeding 50km/h Full details of what you can or can't drive and definition of a motorhome can be found at http://tinyurl.com/qtf4y Regards Don

There is a current EU proposal, which is likely to get through, to restrict NEW holders of the B (or B Auto) only to combinations not exceeding 3500. That means that a 3500 MAM motorhome will no longer be able to tow a trailer of up to 750 MAM unless you take the extra test to get a B+E. However, it will affect NEW drivers only, and is unlikely to come into UK law until about 2012.

Archived