Long term travel on the continent

KrisGee

Thanks for allowing me on this forum.

I/we are planning to sell the house, buy a MH - about 35k, LHD, registered, taxed and insured in UK - and travel 'sur le continent' for about six months or until we find that plot of land ready to plant our turnips. I have seen that house insurance does not cover you if you are away for over 90 days but since we would be registered for residence at out daughters house I guess this doesn't matter

Question is, how long are we allowed to travel on the continent (we are UK passport holders). We would plan to 'do' Europe anticlockwise starting at Calais, then down to Italy, across the South of France and into Spain.

(?)

Six months is generally the legal stay time in most countries without registering but many stay longer,years in some cases,just Bob from country to country if it worries you,no problems as long as you dont come to the notice of police or other authoriies,unless we leave the EU of course,out gets my vote,,My advice to you would be,be sure you know what you are doing before you sell up and live in a van,many regret that decission,my insurance gives me 180 days unoccupancy for my bungalow CCC. 

If your buy a van over three years old, be aware that you will need to get it MOT d each year in England and also keep it road taxed ,registering an English van in Spain for instance is very difficult and a mine field as it must comply with their regulations and spec etc.it is very easy to drive a right hand drive vehicle on the Continent so think before going for left hand drive as if you try and sell a left hand drive in England you will lose money on it ,you can get vans for a lot less than 35 k,pay less loose less methinks.

EU rules are quite specific. You are allowed to stay in any EU country as a tourist for 90 days after which you should register with the local Police. If you stay in any country for more than 180 days in any calendar year, even with breaks, you are considered resident and must file taxes. Hopping borders is fine as long as you do not go back again and exceed the 180 day limit. Of course many people stay in a country even on one site for 6 months without problem, but technically you should not without registering. All sites log your stays so it is easy for the local police to ascertain who has been there too long, fortunately they seem to be unwilling to actually do this. But be aware the EU masters have a plan that states that all EU citizens will be resident and pay taxes in one EU country at all times.

I also ask you to be careful in what you do to actually leave the UK. Are you thinking about being a non resident and if so, there are strict rules. If you receive benefits or a State Pension then again you need to inform the authorities what you are doing. From a personal point of view being the subject of an investigation by HMRC is not something you ever want. You have to prove innocence. Get an accountant to run through the scenario with you first.

Plus of course, as others have mentioned once you sell up, you are off the ladder and if you ever decide to return for whatever reason, you may find things difficult.

Do take professional advice, selling up and sailing away is not as simple as it once was. Then you can enjoy the trip

Thanks to all.

The replies confirm my thoughts! I plan to be resident - for tax, NHS etc - in UK. I have returned from a 13 year stint in China and I was traveling back and forth every few months (work related). Same rules apply over there BUT you must have a valid visa!!

I'm thinking that the 90 day probably applies to Shengen rather than to each country, but I could be wrong.

Thanks very much for the comment about RHD vs LHD. Makes it easier don't it! (lol)

I'm looking forward to the excitement/experience/challenge. After all, what else is there to do when you've just retired!

Archived