Routes into Italy

azziedriver

Guest JudgeMental
timing is everything..avoid weekends and try and hit it as early as possible or even during the night. have used it 7-8 times over last 10 years and only had a serous hold up once on return leg on an august saturday.... you can avoid it completely by going via Austria

We always go through Chamonix up the valley through St.Bernard Tunnel down through Aosta .

The veiws are great and mostly tourist traffic enroute, few hairpin bends, no lorries few coaches - never had a hold up in last 20 years even when snow on ground. Done the Gotthard once no hold up, but very hot and stuffy.

Went back to Venice last year (first time in 5 Years) M/h parking very easy now on edge of lagoon near coach park, 5 mins away from 'The people Mover' 1 euro takes you right to the edge of the main canals for waterbus into centre, or you walk to the waterbus and go up main canal but a bit choppy.

David

azziedriver - 2014-02-13 3:37 PM

Intend to travel down to Italy for the first time this Spring in our 6m van conversion and have read some horror stories about using the Gotthard Tunnel.

Would appreciate advice about that tunnel and alternative routes; we are initially heading for Venice.

Cheers

We are planning the same thing in, hopefully, early Spring (depending on how long this bad weather spell that most of Europe is suffering lasts).

We haven't crossed the Alps for some years so this information is very useful. We did the Austria route a few years ago, but I thought it was a overly long. Mind you, we did discover our all time favourite airee de

rosta (aires) on the route. But now it's more of a campsite - 12 euros!! Even so, wouldn't mind going back.

Depending where you are crossing I would head for Luxembourg, Germany, Austria ( Innsbruck & over the Brenner) and down to Italy that way. Cost is I think about €15 or so for vignette and bridge and about €12 down to Verona and then you decide from there. Nice views and easy roads. Belgium,Luxembourg, Germany all toll free

Mike

Guest JudgeMental

lots of previous threads on topic.....I like swiss route but austria can be OK albeit a little longer and risk of HEAVY traffic delays during high summer.... can be done without any cost, look for Brian Kirbys route. but again timing critical....

http://tinyurl.com/qdv92qy

A few years ago we entered Italy via the Mont Blonc tunnel en route for MIlan and Venice for Greece,stunning trip.coming home from Italy last year we entered France near BRIANCON,we used the Italian motorway pay but cheap enough again a stunning trip through and over the mountains,all depends how time rich y ou are I guess.

JudgeMental - 2014-02-13 9:24 PM

lots of previous threads on topic.....I like swiss route but austria can be OK albeit a little longer and risk of HEAVY traffic delays during high summer.... can be done without any cost, look for Brian Kirbys route. but again timing critical....

http://tinyurl.com/qdv92qy

As the whole site is running slowly, and the search even slower, here's the route.

If you go down to Fussen in Bavaria and then south into Austria, and take the Fern pass to Reutte and Imst, and then the B171 to Landeck (avoiding the A12 for which a maut/vignette is required), you can take the Reschenpass into Italy at Resia, and then south via Merano and Bolzano. The first toll motorway you will hit will be at Bolzano. You can then do Trento, Verona, Padua, Venice by autostrada, or go via "state" roads to Trento, Primolano, Bassano del Grappa, and Castelfranco Veneto.

The Italian tolls are well worthwhile, as driving any distance off motorway can be slow and frustrating, but you do get to see more of the country as you go.

The Fern and Reschen passes are not dual carriageways, and are fairly busy, so will be slower than the Brenner, but you avoid the tolls, so it depends on your cost vs time preferences which way you go. Easy gradients, good roads, generally free flowing, pretty scenery, some scope to overtake, and only becomes tediously slow if caught behind a truck. Once to Merano you hit the SS38 "Mebo", which is fast dual to Bolzano. A good sat-nav should route you through easily if you set it to avoid tolls until you get to Resia (good car park stop by lake), then allow tolls from then on. The spaghetti junction where the Mebo hits the A22 Brenner motorway at Bolzano needs a good sat-nav! That is about the only complicated bit.

There is another alternative, not particularly quick, but scenic & relatively free of the jams on the Tunnel routes. The basic route goes to Chur, then a choice of 3 routes. I've done them all in the last 3 years, when friends were stuck in jams in the tunnels we sailed through.

Go towards Mulhouse, cross into Germany, onto the E35 then bypass Basel on the E54, coming out at Reinfelden into Switzerland. Then onto the Swiss Autoroute 3 to Chur. Then there is a choice dedending on the weather & snow conditions in the mountains.

A) Onto Route 3 out of Chur, into the mountains through Churwalden over the Julier pass down to Silvaplana, Chiavenna, Lecco & Bergamo then across to Venice.

B) Or a tweak on the above - leave Chur on the route 13 to Splugen, if the pass is open, then over the Splugen Pass to Chiavenna etc

C) Or from Chur take route 13 to Belinzona over the San Bernadino pass, then route 2 to Como, the across to Venice. (Note it gets very busy around Lugano)

The Julier pass is easy & is kept open.

The Splugen pass is great scenery, but not quick & not for the nervous, but is very short.

The San Bernadino is not a real pass - I took my Citroen 2CV over it 3 years ago with no problems - (Even got up to 75mph on the way down the other side - scary!)

You can check the state of the Swiss motorways using this Swiss Government site http://www.truckinfo.ch/index.php5

But, you will need a Swiss motorway vignette for Jeremy's route.

The splugen is great fun, if Butlin had built it he'd have made a fortune! :-) However, it is closed to caravans, so check whether a van conversion would be restricted. There is a rock-cut tunnel on the Italian side that has some fairly "snug" dimensions from memory, so I'd also suggest checking whether there are weight or size limits.

Brian Kirby - 2014-02-14 11:53 PM

But, you will need a Swiss motorway vignette for Jeremy's route.

The splugen is great fun, if Butlin had built it he'd have made a fortune! :-) However, it is closed to caravans, so check whether a van conversion would be restricted. There is a rock-cut tunnel on the Italian side that has some fairly "snug" dimensions from memory, so I'd also suggest checking whether there are weight or size limits.

Brian, you are correct but there are two roads down on the Italian side, one through the tunnels, one without tunnels. We went over there in 2012 in my Benima with no problems. It is all well signed with length restrictions of 5 metres for the route through the tunnels and no restrictions on the detour .

(Basically it is a short detour around Lake Isola on the SP41, rather than staying on the SS36 down to Campodolcina)

The photos are taken from the same spot on lake Isola, one looking back up the pass, one over the lake. Look at the lake one just below the skyline and you can see the tunnels!

As far as the Vignette goes, we are 3850 Kg, thus HGV and we bought a 7 day vignette pass at Rheinfelden for £16.79 (about 20ChF). No problems at all.

isola.jpg.624a453b2a8ed5fd5b64e00cb06ef255.jpg

isola1.jpg.60375fa6f8af6f6ea3d11b2e093f46ab.jpg

laimeduck - 2014-02-15 10:14 AM..............Brian, you are correct but there are two roads down on the Italian side, one through the tunnels, one without tunnels. We went over there in 2012 in my Benima with no problems. It is all well signed with length restrictions of 5 metres for the route through the tunnels and no restrictions on the detour . ..............

Then I think you missed the best bit, though probbaly wise in your Benimar! We did the Butlins big dipper route in a car, and I laughed all the way town. Simply brilliant! :-D

Guest JudgeMental
If you are time restricted I think swiss route quicker and offers good value, as tunnels and motorways covered for 12 months. We stay overnight in Como at the port (always a hand full of vans there) and leave early in morning, reach tunnel and straight though....

Archived