Stupidity of local councils

CliveH

With Local Councils and various government agencies getting flack for lack of flood defences - it is nice to see that one Local Council springs to even greater heights of stupidity after housing a mother with a wheelchair bound disabled child in a house with three sets of steps leading up to the front door.

Oh well! - it was only £40,000 of tax payers money.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/mum-wityh-disabled-daughter-campaigns-for-wheelchair-ramp---and-gets-£40-000--slalom--eyesore-143242677.html#d2Iici1

8-)

I agree with the sentiment Clive, but to be fair it is really the fault of the 'Elf and Safety' brigade who insist on ramps being at certain elevations and lengths. The Council had no choice or they faced being sued by someone. It might have been easier to re house the family but then again why should they have to move from their home?

However I do think a bit more thought might have produced a better idea, something similar in principle to a stairlift perhaps.

Or even better Dave - perhaps try to find a house without three sets of steps?

And i have no doubt at all that the "rules" had to be applied.

Still - look on the bright side - apparently the local skateboarders think it wonderful.

Listening to the Jeremy Vine show today, it appears that the cost was under £27,000 - this was suggested by a chap who worked for a company that had tendered for the job and hadn't won it as it was awarded to a cheaper bidder.

What I don't understand is WHY they were ever housed there in the first place? It appears that they moved in around 2 years ago so whoever offered them the house should have been sacked for putting them into what was obviously a totally unsuitable property!

As for moving them, easier said than done! Council properties on family estates do NOT come up that often, and trying to find one that was suitable would be very difficult as I would imagine that a lot of the properties round there would have some sort of 'levels' issues.

I'm not a fan of the solution though, totally stupid in my view and I would LOVE to hear from whoever actually designed it ... *-)

Mel B - 2014-02-14 6:35 PM

What I don't understand is WHY they were ever housed there in the first place? It appears that they moved in around 2 years ago so whoever offered them the house should have been sacked for putting them into what was obviously a totally unsuitable property!

I'm not a fan of the solution though, totally stupid in my view and I would LOVE to hear from whoever actually designed it ... *-)

Totally agree Mel.

And yes I take on board your comment re suitable housing being difficult - I am sure it cannot be easy. BUT - whoever actioned and approved this bizarre "solution" should be allowed to put their point across................

From what I understand the family insisted they should be moved to that area, they where offered the only available house which they decided to accept, after moving in they then insisted the council install a ramp at that house. What I don't know is wheter they where ever offered alternative housing.

colin - 2014-02-14 8:14 PM

From what I understand the family insisted they should be moved to that area, they where offered the only available house which they decided to accept, after moving in they then insisted the council install a ramp at that house. What I don't know is wheter they where ever offered alternative housing.

Sounds most likely ... I just hope they never want to buy it though! Councils are not allowed to sell their housing stock for LESS than they've spent on improvements to it, so even if they got a maximum 60% discount it would still have to cover the cost of the ramp as well as anything done in the house, so in effect they could have just added £20k+ whatever their tenant purchase price would be! My Mum recently bought her council flat and so although she was 'entitled' to a 70% discount as she's lived there for well over 20 years, because they'd spent money on improvements in the last 10 years in effect she had this reduced to around 67%, not a massive difference fortunately.

Archived