/Gas piping in the Orange pipe

Alibaba

Hi I'm new so bear with me.

I have a few gas leaks in my van a 2000 BESSACARR E425, who ever fitted it out must have had very hairy knuckles, long arms and a prehensile tail. the wiring isn't much better, but I can sort that out, I used to be Corgi registered many many years ago so no problems in doing the re-fit, but access is a real pain of course and I was thinking of getting a few metres of the orange LPG pipe and feeding that through, I know it has a life of about 10 years, and I don't have an issue with changing it and of course putting notices for a new owner should I sell it so they are aware.

Are there any regs I should be aware of first?

My car has an LPG conversion on it and all the under bonnet piping is in a flame retardant rubber, which I can get easily enough, the back of a fridge is a much nicer environment than under my Landys bonnet when we go off road.

If there are any regs could someone please link to them, as a Google just brings up tons of unrelated stuff.

Thanks in advance.

Kev.

BS EN 1949:2002

Specification for the installation of LPG systems for habitation purposes in leisure accommodation vehicles and in other vehicles.

Don't think you will find a free copy.

Found this but do not know if it is a direct quote from the regs.

Current regulations for hoses:

Low Pressure: Should only be long enough to reach the regulators on a two cylinder installation in the gas locker.

High Pressure: a MAXIMUM length of 450mm, except for motorhomes with slide out tray mounted cylinders where 750mm is permitted.

As lennyhb advises, there is a standard for LPG-system installation for leisure vehicles. The document is not in the public domain and not cheap to purchase.

http://shop.bsigroup.com/ProductDetail/?pid=000000000030266158

A preview of its contents can be seen here

http://tinyurl.com/onc9uvb

There is a complete chapter on gas supply systems in John Wickersham's book "Build Your Own Motorcaravan" that includes advice on gas pipework.

You are proposing to replace a good deal of your motorhome's rigid metal gas pipework with flexible 'rubber' high-pressure hose. JW's book advises that "Only one length of flexible hose is normally permitted and that's used to couple a cylinder to the fixed supply system."

I've never seen a motorhome or caravan that had flexible rubber gas-hose other than between an LPG bottle/tank and gas-regulator or between a gas-regulator and the rigid metal gas pipework. Everything tells me that what you are proposing to do would be prohibited by EN 1949 but, as I have not got access to that document, obviously I can't be certain.

There probably is a regulation against it, I have a lpg cooker in the house & can't have any rubber pipework in the house only copper,

I would be tempted to persevere with the copper as you only have to do it once, the orange rubber needs changing every few years, if it's out of the way would you bother or just forget

lennyhb - 2014-02-14 1:35 PM

BS EN 1949:2002

Specification for the installation of LPG systems for habitation purposes in leisure accommodation vehicles and in other vehicles.

Found this but do not know if it is a direct quote from the regs.

Current regulations for hoses:

Low Pressure: Should only be long enough to reach the regulators on a two cylinder installation in the gas locker.

Above is snipped a bit !

I wonder how this translates for 3 to 4 metres of gas hose from a BBQ point to the BBQ on a caravan or m/home ?

Rgds

I don't know where the information lennyhb provided came from, but it's in several on-line places. For example

http://www.caravantalk.co.uk/caravan-advice/gas/lpg-safety-and-connecting-a-gas-supply

http://www.abacusflame.co.uk/downloads/lpg%20safe%20connecting.pdf

I'm doubtful from the wording that this is a direct extract from EN 1949, but you'll see from the Calor Gas link I gave in my 16 November 2013 9:53 AM posting on this earlier forum thread

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Pigtails/33203/#M398359

that EN 1949 and the 450mm length is mentioned there. Despite not having access to the EN 1949 standard itself, I've no reason to suspect that the 450mm/750mm recommendations are incorrect.

EN 1949's scope is explained in its title.

"Specification for the installation of LPG systems for habitation purposes in leisure accommodation vehicles and accommodation purposes in other vehicles"

Although it might be anticipated that the installation of a BBQ-point in a motorhome or caravan might be covered by EN 1949, it would be illogical to expect EN 1949 to extend to the BBQ itself or to the gas-hose connecting the BBQ to the BBQ-point. This limitation should be plain from EN 1949's title - the standard deals with LPG systems IN leisure accommodation vehicles and BBQs and their connection hoses will be OUTSIDE the vehicle.

So, although it might be unwise to use 20 metres of rubber gas hose to connect a BBQ to a motorhome's BBQ-point, you would not be in conflict with EN 1949 by doing so.

Archived