"TRUCKING" Satnav

crob

I've used a conventional car satnav for the last 7 years throughout Western Europe with very few problems. I have a 25' motorhome, 5 tonnes approx.

I am wanting to update my maps, and know that there are "trucking" maps available, obviously designed for the 40'/40 tonne HGV. Has anyone had any experience of using this type of map in their satnav device, please? Are they "overkill" for a motorhome? I know that this is a matter of personal preference, but I would appreciate any views on this subject.

Thanks to all who respond.

I have no experience of trucking type sat navs, but have been using a Garmin unit for about five years, so am familiar with the "usual" sat nav sense of humour! :-) However, I have investigated the basis on which the truck variety work.

What I found is that that electronic mapping in sat navs tends to come from one of only two providers. Either TeleAtlas, owned by TomTom, or NavTeq, owned by Nokia. At present neither prodice maps that contain information on road widths, so the trucking variety of sat navs have to use alternative means to guide large vehicles to avoid narrow roads. Most seem to rely on some form of prioritisation of major road routes (the equivalent of UK "A" roads or "E" routes) until the last possible moment before arrival. This can result in less direct routes being taken. As you will by now have realised there are miles of UK equivalent "B" roads that are perfectly adequate for larger vehicles, often more direct between smaller places, that would be likely to be rejected by the device.

What the mapping does contain, however, is information on legal width and weight restrictions, so you should never get routed down roads where you would be violating these. Height information is also included on some maps, but on others seems to be in the form of an overlaid database. Both should work well enough to keep you out of trouble. So, you should never be taken down roads where there are low bridges etc, or where a weight or width restriction would exclude you (for example many town and village centres) - but you may still finds yourselves being directed down a goat track if there is nothing specific restricting its use!

I would suggest looking for a sat nav with lifetime map updates, since the legal restrictions, including speed limits, seems to change quite frequently, and you presumably wouldn't want to pay the extra premium for a truck sat nav, only to find it dumps you in front of a weight restricted bridge with no turning facility eighteen months after purchase. Hope this helps.

We have the Trucks map on our Go 720 and can confirm that it tends to route mainly on A type roads it is set to warn on dead ends, bridges and roads with weight limits(may be handy for you).

We tell the device that we are longer, wider and heavier than reality, so far it's worked out OK for us.

Hi , I was in the Market for another sat Nav, the built in one we have was getting old and I could not get Map updates,  after a lot of searching and asking fellow M/H owners when out and About On three occasions I met someone who was running the same make of Sat Nav ,one Chap said he met the guy who sells them in the Midlands and he had his for over 12 month and it worked well, so I bought one late last year ,had it plugged in and working it appears to function well , but not really put it to the test as yet, But it may be of interest for you to have a starting point, have a look at link below,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7-Truck-Sat-Nav-2-in-1-Navigation-Bluetooth-Mp3-Movie-Player-Lorry-HGV-Car-/260903648566?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_GPSSystems_GPSSystems&hash=item3cbf11bd36

As Brian says, motorhome/ truck sat navs don't give road width, but mine (snooper) does warn of sharp bends, steep gradients, speed restrictions, and keeps you away from low bridges. It also has campsites built in, which is useful, but I select the campsite or Aire first, and then use the sat nav to get me there. No substitute for a detailed map though.

Archived