New Speed Limits in France...Maybe.

nowtelse2do

Have just been emailed this but it's in pigeon French....I'll try to decipher.

Must stress, this is not on their Motorway system.

Manuals Valls announced on the 21 Jan that he wanted to experiment with a 80 kph (50 mph) in some departments. Less than 3 weeks later the National Council for Road Safety proposed to the Minister of the interior to decide on two options. Either an application of 80 kph directly across the land or in Half of the Departments.

In either case it will start from the beginning of this Summer.

I'm only the messenger so don't shoot me. Any of you that live in France that are aware of this direction, then please tell us if it's correct. Thank You.

Dave

lennyhb - 2014-02-16 3:31 PM

6 mph not worth worrying about, the French will drive at whatever speed they want anyway.

I think the French are better at sticking to the limits than we are and French roads now are an awful lot safer than they were 30 odd years ago. Roads like the RN 7 had horrific accidents.

Muswell - 2014-02-16 5:25 PM

lennyhb - 2014-02-16 3:31 PM

6 mph not worth worrying about, the French will drive at whatever speed they want anyway.

I think the French are better at sticking to the limits than we are and French roads now are an awful lot safer than they were 30 odd years ago. Roads like the RN 7 had horrific accidents.

Not my experience I find if I cruise at 90kph every Frenchman & woman has to overtake you even had a 40 tonne truck do it on a single carriageway last year and they are supposed to be limited to 90 kph. :D

France is truly a foreign country. Compulsory daytime headlights and the breathalyser kits were both voted for and kinda excepted/rejected in recent years. Speeding has moderated massively in France in recent years contributing to the huge drop in deaths there.

A little background to this...

In mid-2013 a group of French road-safety experts provided the CNSR (Conseil national de la sécurité routière) with a report proposing a reduction in the current 90km/h national speed limit on French 'secondary' roads. This reduction could involve a hard (but simple) line - with an 80km/h limit applied to every secondary road - or a softer line with the limit of some secondary roads remaining at 90km/h. The report estimated that the former option could save 350-400 lives and the latter option 210-240 lives.

These proposals need to be formally debated by the CNSR which will next meet on 16 May 2014. If the CNSR votes unanimously that the speed-limit be reduced, it will then recommend to the French government how and where the reduced limits be introduced experimentally. The French government alone will decide whether or not to implement the recommendations and this decision could occur as early as June 2014. If it's decided to go ahead with the reduction, the experiment could begin soon afterwards.

(European countries with a national speed limit below 81km/h are Holland, Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Malta and Cyprus. The UK, Spain, Germany and Austria have a national speed limit above 90km/h. All the rest have a national speed lmit from 81-90km/h.)

pilgrim55 - 2014-02-18 11:22 AM

Can't see a problem myself your in a MH enjoy the journey, more importantly lower speed saves lives, lower speed saves fuel.

If your in a hurry sell the MH and try Easy Jet etc

On that basis, why not have a Europe-wide speed-limit of 50km/h? Then there'd be no need to reduce speed when entering an urban environment.

Archived