MS AUTOROUTE......anyone?

Bulletguy

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
lennyhb - 2014-02-20 4:34 PM

When you buy a download from Amazon it stays in your account and you can log on and download at any time, so if you screw up your installed version you can reinstall.

If you really don't like a download buy the DVD for 50 quid. (lol)

Well as you can see Lenny.....thanks to "enodreven" (Brian) i've got my 2007 back up and running. :-D

I just wondered what the 2010 looked like compared to the 2007 that's all.

Why would i pay fifty quid for something i can buy for less than a tenner? OK i know the US market is bigger than the UK.....obtuse defenders of 'rip off' prices will always quote that as an excuse in support of greedy profiteering. But we had this kind of 'row' before if you remember over the extortionate over pricing of CD prices in the UK....until Distributors relented and eventually dropped their prices.

What MS are doing (re. software applications) is simply stamping a new year date 'on the box' of rehashed old versions, updating their OS with 'blocks' to stop currently installed apps running, so most folk then rush out and buy the "latest" version. It's a licence to print money without having to work.

Bulletguy - 2014-02-20 6:00 PM

I just wondered what the 2010 looked like compared to the 2007 that's all.

Why would i pay fifty quid for something i can buy for less than a tenner? OK i know the US market is bigger than the UK...

Because European maps might be more useful than North America ones. :D

Hi,

I have 2007 and 2010 and I downloaded the evaluation version of 2013 and to be honest I could get away with using any of them they would all suit my needs, and we do use Autoroute on a laptop to navigate with.

But I suppose I will be drawn in to buying 2013, for no other reason than I have nothing better to spend £33 on at this moment in time, but do I need it and could I do everything I want with my older version of 2007 of course I could, albeit other people may have different needs.

Glad the fix worked for you.

Hi,

To be honest we always turn off the Automatic re-route as we prefer to manually reroute as it gives us time to look at where we are and decide if we should perhaps turn around or head in perhaps another direction. I suppose its a habit we have got into since using the earlier versions

While on this subject have any of you found an alternative "Travel Planning Software" that can be used like Autoroute on an Android tablet, I have a GPS navigation but I'm really looking for something more akin to Autoroute for planning, any suggestions would be really helpful.

Thanks

Brian

lennyhb - 2014-02-20 8:19 PM

Because European maps might be more useful than North America ones. :D

Sorry to burst yer bubble Lenny but they are the European version. :D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/310844597741?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

enodreven - 2014-02-20 8:35 PM

Hi,

I have 2007 and 2010 and I downloaded the evaluation version of 2013 and to be honest I could get away with using any of them they would all suit my needs, and we do use Autoroute on a laptop to navigate with.

But I suppose I will be drawn in to buying 2013, for no other reason than I have nothing better to spend £33 on at this moment in time, but do I need it and could I do everything I want with my older version of 2007 of course I could, albeit other people may have different needs.

Glad the fix worked for you.

That's good enough for me then.

I've more than happy with 2007 and from first hand accounts of those who shelled out for the "new" 2013......they are just looking at 2005 issue mapping that's been 'dressed up' a bit.....oh and says "2013". *-) :D

lennyhb - 2014-02-20 10:00 PM

Bulletguy - 2014-02-20 9:51 PM

Sorry to burst yer bubble Lenny but they are the European version. :D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/310844597741?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%

Gee wizz I'm impressed with postage £26 you will save a whopping 4 quid for an old 2010 version.

Oh dear.......about to burst yer bubble again Lenny! :D

It's postage free within the States.

One of my cousins lives and works in Texas but 'commutes' to UK on average around twice a month. :D

lennyhb - 2014-02-20 10:49 PM

OK you are still only talking about 20 difference for the latest version, with the amount of travelling you do you can't be that hard up.

I'm a Pensioner Lenny! (lol)

And 20 quid will give me 150 - 175 miles of touring.......outside of UK prices. ;-)

After reading the thread from beginning to present, I find that my head is 'spinning'  and I need to lay down. The odd thing is that I started my working life as a computer operator!  In those days they filled a room and yer desktop wasn't invented. Happy days.....

bob b - 2014-02-20 11:53 PM

After reading the thread from beginning to present, I find that my head is 'spinning'  and I need to lay down. The odd thing is that I started my working life as a computer operator! 

You can imagine what my head was doing after that crazy 8.1 "upgrade" then! *-)

bob b - 2014-02-20 11:53 PM

In those days they filled a room and yer desktop wasn't invented. Happy days.....

A bit like this? :D :D

http://oi61.tinypic.com/2akabdf.jpg (Front view)

http://oi62.tinypic.com/znsis7.jpg (Rear view)

The Worlds first fully electronic digital programmable computer originally built by Tommy Flowers of Bletchley Park fame.

Tony Sale began painstakingly rebuilding the Colossus in 1993 at Bletchley. As virtually all hardware and blueprints remaining after the war had been ordered to be destroyed by Churchill, this was one hell of a task to take on. There were only two complete machines remaining after the war but they were whisked off to GCHQ and demolished in the late 50's.

It's never switched off due to the masses of sensitive valves.

The sad part about the Colossus history is due to the UK's obsession over post war secrecy and Cold War paranoia, Flowers achievements were never fully recognised and he was fobbed off with a meagre £1000 which he shared with the engineers who had worked with him. Imagine how he felt when in 1948 America declared they had developed and built the worlds first computer......and Flowers could say nothing!

I admire Flowers as he came not from a background of high academia (son of a bricklayer), but worked his way up from an apprentice engineer in the GPO. My daughter-in-laws father was apprenticed to Tommy Flowers.

Archived