Heavy duty clutch?

bob b

My clutch is slipping on my 2003 Ducato 2.3 JTD. When I say slipping...it has slipped briefly on the odd occasion and then no probs. That does suggest its on the way out. The motorhome has done 32,000 miles and I don't abuse the clutch...using it to hold it on a slope, etc. I do tow a heavy motorbike on my travels though.

It maybe that the slave cylinder is 'dicky' and has leaked thereby contaminating the clutch plate perhaps. My question is that should I fit a heavy duty clutch?  Assuming that such a component exists. I have a quote for £958.00 for the ordinary clutch. That quote includes a new master & slave cylinder. I thought it would be prudent to replace the master cylinder as well to have done with it. At that price though I'll probably leave the master and do it myself later on.

On a 2003 Ducato the slave cylinder is external to the bellhousing, not a concentric type and certainly not a difficult job to replace, likewise the master cylinder is not an overly arduous challenge to replace so if they're not leaking leave them alone would be my advice. If the clutch is occasionally slipping then it is probably on its last legs so replacement before total failure would make sense. If there is a heavy duty unit available then yes I'd fit it but I'm not convinced there is such a unit available.

D.

Well I got the complete clutch assembly replaced. The clutch plate was actually only half worn, but apparently there were some 'hot spots' on the plate. The flywheel was slightly rusty and pitted, obviously due to condensation where the motorhome is sitting around. So that was cleaned up.

The cause of the clutch slip, momentarily now and again, was because the release bearing was 'catching' on the input shaft because of lack of lubrication. Copperslip has been applied to the shaft to help that. I do remember that a 'squeak/squeal' when the clutch pedal was depressed on the trip where the clutch slip was first apparent. The slave cylinder was also replaced and I'll wait for the master cylinder to start playing up before I replace it.

Tried to book a Caravan Club site for Easter & both the two I tried are full!

Archived