Mercedes instability in wind

guskenny

I use a hymer S820 on a mercedes 416 chassis(twin rear wheels) .It becomes unstable in high wind or when being overtaken by large vehicles. It has a hefty anti roll bar as standard. Anybody any experience of this van. I am considering "air rides" or maybe uprated shocks.

Just a thought check the front anti-roll bar half round fixing brackets ! Sprinter vans have been known for these to crack we went through them and we ended up making some from twice the thickness metal solved the problem. With a big van like yours there’s a lot more tension on these brackets.

I am comparing to a large fiat with al ko chassis. I realise that the front wheel drives are generally more stable on the road . My vehicle is very high and even when sleeping without having the rear steadies down the vehicle sways a lot. Would seem that the rear suspension would benefit from been stiffened up.

Hi It's unlikely that anything is wrong. Mercedes are renown for their rock and roll ride as compared to the Sevel group of vans their track is narrower and their suspension softer all in all a recipe for 'instability' Mercede owners seem to tolerate it for the other 'benefits'. Just compare a Mercedes and a Fiat based Hymer side by side to apreciate the problem. The new Mercedes is a slightly wider track but still narrower than a Fiat and a lot narrower than an Alco chassised van. I tried Mercedes and Fiat in the Rapido before I settled on the Fiat Alco; the difference is simply amazing. Bill Ord

Archived