Fiat Ducato PVC - help with problems

johnlc

I've now noticed three things on the used van we bought privately at the weekend. It's a 2008 SWB.

It would seem that, as well as the two ignition keys we got, we should have received a key code. I didn't know anything about this. Is it essential?

When sitting in the back the rear doors seem really rattly but they close/lock properly and don't let in any drafts or water. Is there something I should be looking for to try to stop this, or does it come with the territory in panel vans?

The passenger window doesn't work. Is there something that I could try before taking it to a Fiat dealer who would, no doubt, suggest a new window motor?

Finally, looking at the roof from my bedroom window it has green stuff on it in places and looks like it could do with a good clean. What would you suggest using that won't damage the paintwork, or affect seals on the rooflights?

Thanks - there is a lot to learn quickly being new to a motorhome

Guest JudgeMental

Doesn't sound that well looked after! What is it?

Yes you will need key code if you loose keys.....

If it's blind rattle try closing them with socks stuffed down the back....

The key code is a credit card with electronic and mechanical code, try the last owners they should have it.

Are you saying the doors rattle whilst in motion or whilst on site? Is it the doors or could it be the blinds fitted to them? these often have stays or springs that rattle and might need some attention.

Nick might advise on window, but note the wiring loom to them pass's over a sharp edge in the door pillar, check for cuts.

For cleaning I would personally use a road film remover type car wash.

Its possible your rear door hinges need adjusting :-S not sure but I've read on here or elsewhere that people have done this themselves.

The key key code is usually on a red plastic card ( I think)

And any good caravan cleaner will soon wash the algi off the top the caravan over the road has a good coating this year !! I've never noticed it as bad as this winter ! it soon builds up if you don't keep on top of it.

A roll of sponge drought excluder can come in very handy in a motor-home we always put it under anything that bumps when moving.

Lenny is right. If it was a UK supplied vehicle, you will not have the electronic code.

It will have been registered with ISR (International Security Register) and is available to AA patrols and Fiat dealers in the event of needing an emergency start up or new key. Replacement keys cannot be programmed without it.

The electric window will be one of two things; the passenger side is renowned for problems associated with lack of use and may be seized up. If, when the switch is pressed you can hear something try to move in the door, the regulator mechanism will need to be replaced. If you don't hear or feel anything trying to move it could be the switch but if neither the switch on the passenger door nor the driver's door do anything then you have a wiring fault or blown fuse which could be as simple as a break where it passes through between the door and the front wing or fuse 48 which is on the driver's side of the dashboard and is the fourth one up in the middle row.

The rear doors on these vans are pretty good normally but can be adjusted to make sure that they are tightly closed. If the nearside door rattles too much and has been left like this for a long time you may need a new lower rod as they are prone to wear if left out of correct adjustment.

Nick

Thanks for your help. It's definitely not a blinds problem as there aren't any fitted on the rear doors. The noise only occurs when driving, but when stationery is draft free and doesn't let water in. This made me think it wasn't a misalignment but thanks for the suggestion Nick I'll look at that. I'll also just try stuffing something in it!

The passenger window switch does make a noise when pressed so it must be the regulator - thanks Nick.

I hope the vehicle is registered with the ISP if I can't get the key code. I hope the RAC also have access to it as well as the AA, as that is who our breakdown cover is with.

Thanks

I had a Saab 9000 which developed a rattle in the door after a while. The dealer fixed it by spraying the seals with a silicon spray. A friend with the same model told me about the rattle he had. He thought I was joking when I told him to spray the seals because he was convinced it was a mechanical problem and then he thought I was a genius when it worked. The SLD on my T4 also got noisy as the seals dried and I used to spray that too.

Archived