Route home from Germany

Guest JudgeMental

Guest JudgeMental
Will be driving back from Munster area of Germany at weekend and heading to Brugge for a night or two......, sat nag recommends via Antwerp, but from memory it's a pretty busy and an awful route so thinking of going via Brussels. Anyone been that way recently?

Brussels & Antwerp on a bad day both worse than the M25 on a bad day, I would go for Antwerp working on the theory that it's ½ hour shorter route so if you get stuck in a jam won't take any longer than the Brussels route.

I always try to avoid Brussels after spending 1½ hours stationary on the ring road a couple of years ago, never been stationary around Antwerp for more than ½ hour. (lol)

If you are actually driving at the weekend either route will probably be OK, roads won't be full of HGV's like the UK.

Could take the easterly route around Antwerp through the Lifkenshoektunnel on the R2 my satnav routed me that way when we got stuck, clear route but expensive about €20 toll but you are in a PVC so should only be about €7 I think the tolls are based on height 2.75m being the limit for car/van.

You could try splitting onto the mid way between Antwerp and Brussels, via Duffel, Battel, and Bornen. It basically sticks to the Antwerp route, but diverts south around Antwerp. Adds about 30 minutes to the estimated 4 hour trip. It's a gamble, you could get hold-ups anywhere on that route; around Duisberg for example. Best to travel mid morning and avoid most of the peak traffic, I think. Say leave Munster around 10:00, lunch near the Belgian border, Brugge around 15:00.

Guest JudgeMental
Bojitoes - 2014-02-19 3:41 PM

Brussels ring road is always a nightmare, avoid at all costs! If you have not been to Brugge before its quite nice for a day but no longer. If you have not been before I'd suggest going on to Ieper (Ypres) and the Menin Gate.

Bob

have been to Brugge many times, not to big with nice walks and plenty of great restaurants and bars...my kinda town :-D

Bojitoes - 2014-02-19 3:41 PM

Brussels ring road is always a nightmare, avoid at all costs! If you have not been to Brugge before its quite nice for a day but no longer. If you have not been before I'd suggest going on to Ieper (Ypres) and the Menin Gate.

Bob

Agreed, used Brussels ring road last year.....never again, anywhere but there eddie.

Archived