Xmas Holiday

scoutse

Hi all We are thinking of going away for christmas but not sure on were to go .WE have just come back from Les Get in france and are now thinking of going back for christmas skiing has anyone been and done that and how did the motor home cope with the cold weather ? We are also thinking of going some were warm spain or south france how warm is it there? can any one give some advise on the two thanks mark

[QUOTE]scoutse - 2006-08-30 7:02 PM Hi all We are thinking of going away for christmas but not sure on were to go .WE have just come back from Les Get in france and are now thinking of going back for christmas skiing has anyone been and done that and how did the motor home cope with the cold weather ? We are also thinking of going some were warm spain or south france how warm is it there? can any one give some advise on the two thanks mark[/QUOTE]

For winter sking you'll neet a fully winterised 'van, ideally with no outside (underslung) water or waste tanks.  The temperatures get well below freezing, -15C or lower, and stay there.

You will consume larger quantities of gas that you might imagine.  Make sure supplies are available, remember - no Calor!

You'll have to learn to manage condensation by opening all windows wide, at least once daily, or you'll all drown!

You are likely to find that the aires near the resorts will not have water available.  Many turn off the supply to prevent it freezing.  I believe sites are a virtual must for this reason - and their heated shower/toilet blocks.

You'll need some kind on porch awning for wet outdoor gear.

You must move your hook up cable once daily, or be prepared to abandon it to the ice when you leave!

You asolutely must have, and know how to fit, chains, spiked tyres or w.h.y. or you probably won't get to the resorts.

Oh, and skis!

Enjoy.

Michele

The pic was in Southern Bavaria, near Fussen, in mid April this year!  We arrived, no snow.  Next morning, snow!  What you see is the product of just one overnight snowfall.  Now, that was a surprise!  Ah, well, if we will go to these foreign places!

If we'd had some chains we could probably have got more than halfway up the 100 yard hill out of the site, but I probably wouldn't have fitted them just for that distance!  The site owner towed us up with a 4 wheel drive VW Combi, without chains or spikes - just winter tyres!  I blame Michelin's gripless Camping tyres.  It wasn't that much of a hill and I'm sure we could have got to the top with decent rubber.

Re chains, I really don't know costs, but they are advertised from time to time in MMM.  However, I gather the best place to buy is Germany, where supply is plentiful. 

We met a German chap, just into Austria, who'd nipped back to Fussen to buy himself some, because the Austrian roads hadn't been cleared.  We had to turn back because we had none, and I found 3.5 tonnes of figure skating motorhome a bit unnerving!  Even if I'd had chains though, I think I'd still have turned back and waited for the roads to be cleared.  The road was just one sheet of wall to wall, polished, ice, and there was a humungous traffic queue with everyone sliding all over the place. All cleared by next morning though, including the passes!

Fantastic Picture. By the sound's of it you had fun . You have more gut's than me . I used to have with the snow on a London Double Decker but then I was younger . Also it did not belong to me . Ha Ha . Oh to be young again ...no cares worry free . back to the chains if my son continues to like this snowboarding lark we are going to have to invest . I better start looking ... Cheers Michele.

[QUOTE]Michele - 2006-09-01 3:46 PM Fantastic Picture. By the sound's of it you had fun . You have more gut's than me . I used to have with the snow on a London Double Decker but then I was younger . Also it did not belong to me . Ha Ha . Oh to be young again ...no cares worry free . back to the chains if my son continues to like this snowboarding lark we are going to have to invest . I better start looking ... Cheers Michele.[/QUOTE] Michele, I've got a set of Konig Heavy duty snow chains details at http://www.skidrive.co.uk/chains/index.php T2 Heavy Duty. My tyres are 205/70 R15. I've got the Konig T2 heavy duty 225 chains. They are very easy to fit (if you know what you are doing) we have never used them in anger, yet. We've come close a couple of times. In some countries it's compulsory to carry chains at certain times of the year. I was a bit concerned about damaging the alloy wheels but it's not a problem. As an after thought don't even think about using them if you get bogged down in mud. Regards Don

Don, cheers will look at that . No the old man is not the chatter it's me who chat's for england as someone pointed out . He's the do- er .& really rather talented at anything . Clever boy. So no probs with fitting them . Thanks again. Don, quite cheap then I see what a suprise . will be getting some .

[QUOTE]Michele - 2006-09-02 11:15 AM Don , Showed the old man the chain's Thanks for the link. Also showed him what Brian said... Q do you and Brian think that we would be better off with different tyres ? or are these chains a must... As Brian said a bit unnerving sliding everywhere. Cheers [/QUOTE] Michele, I personally would go for the chains, It will cost about £90 for the chains but a great deal more for tyres you might only really need once a year. Don

[QUOTE]Michele - 2006-09-02 11:36 AM Don, £89 do you need front and back's ?[/QUOTE] Michele, You need just one set for the drive wheels. The boss is "Vertically Challenged" so she uses the box as a foot rest in the cab. Often we don't bother with the chains we use the curtains, we pull the curtains and go to bed until the snow has gone or the roads are cleared. Don

[QUOTE]michele - 2006-09-02 11:15 AM Don , Showed the old man the chain's Thanks for the link. Also showed him what Brian said... Q do you and Brian think that we would be better off with different tyres ? or are these chains a must... As Brian said a bit unnerving sliding everwhere. Cheers [/QUOTE]

Michele

As Don says, go for the chains.  Much cheaper and more practical.

Most Germans, Swiss etc, who live in areas where snow is a regular feature of winter, have to have two complete sets of wheels/tyres.  One for summer use, the other for winter, with winter, M+S type, tyres.  Even then, they can only use the Alpine roads with their winter tyres if they fit chains, or have had the tyres studded.  Their alternative, is to garage their cars for the winter.

Studded tyres are a subject in themselves, and there is varying legislation about how fast you can travel on them when the roads are snow free, with some combinations not being legal unless the road is actually snow bound.  With the latter, you need to travel with your five spare wheels and tyres stowed somewhere!  Not really practical, and very expensive, but some ski, and ice climbing, freaks do just that.  Aren't we lucky with our mild climate?

Chains!

Brian , Thanks for that . We will probably purchase a set for the drive wheel's , Hopefully at some stage we will give it a try . Although I think on our own. Your bottle goes when you get older . Dont fancy skiding everywhere. regards. Husgand say's god they must be enthusiast's ?

Archived