Ducato headlight

maxautotrail

colin - 2014-02-19 3:56 PM

I'm not sure if this allies to the x250 headlight, but for some headlights if you look at the 'glass' from front there may be an arrow, if this points to right it may indicate a rhd

Aaah - found it!

The headlight is actually off the vehicle (it failed its MOT because of the headlight and FIAT are not interested) and has been replaced with a new one.

On the front under where the bonnet would close there are some markings. There is an arrow pointing to the left of the vehicle and in a circle the characters E3.

So putting 2 and 2 together it does look like this is for continental use.

Many thanks to all who replied

Keith

JudgeMental - 2014-02-19 4:44 PM

so was this a new to you autotrail? or if bought used maybe someone broke the original and picked one up on ebay....

We had the Auto-Trail from new. What was strange was that it passed 2 MOT's and failed on the 3rd. I guess they were more thorough on the 3rd MOT. I almost wanted to go back to the first 2 MOT stations and complain. It was quite painful having to replace the headlight. We rarely drove in the dark and even when we did I didn't notice, nor did the oncoming drivers.

I tried complaining to FIAT but they were not interested and simply said it could not leave the factory like this and must have been in an accident or repaired.

Yes, its about to go on eBay.

Keith

Guest JudgeMental
Your contract with the dealer who sold you the van not Fiat......So Fiat basically called you a liar? I would not let them get away with that nonsense! *-)

colin - 2014-02-19 5:58 PM

E3 or E13 ? I think (of top of my head) that E3 is side or indicator, E13 is a headlight spec, but I'm sure the MOT station is correct as it would show up on the headlight test, how the other MOT stations missed it is hard to explain.

Hi, The actual wordings are down the lip of the headlight ......

011a

----->

02A

00HC

00HR

PL25

E3 (CIRCLED)

---->

I have no idea what all this means but from previous post am assuming the arrows indicate the driving position (or do they mean the throw of the beam) this is getting to me now.

Keith

JudgeMental - 2014-02-19 5:57 PM

Your contract with the dealer who sold you the van not Fiat......So Fiat basically called you a liar? I would not let them get away with that nonsense! *-)

I tried and was even speaking to a manager at the FIAT faults line, but got no-where. They were asking questions like "has it been in a garage out of your view" and "Is it stored when not in use"

I could see where that was going but yes they where calling me a liar.

Wouldn't buy a FIAT again!

Keith

maxautotrail - 2014-02-19 6:13 PM

colin - 2014-02-19 5:58 PM

E3 or E13 ? I think (of top of my head) that E3 is side or indicator, E13 is a headlight spec, but I'm sure the MOT station is correct as it would show up on the headlight test, how the other MOT stations missed it is hard to explain.

Hi, The actual wordings are down the lip of the headlight ......

011a

----->

02A

00HC

00HR

PL25

E3 (CIRCLED)

---->

I have no idea what all this means but from previous post am assuming the arrows indicate the driving position (or do they mean the throw of the beam) this is getting to me now.

Keith

I'll be under the bonnet of the van in the next couple of days, if I remember i'll have a look at mine. Whilst a letter of complaint to Fiat UK might help, the fact two MOT stations have previously passed the van might have seemed odd to the phone operative.

It is defnitely the case that the odd vehicle gets one LHD, and one RHD, headlamp fitted. Fiat will know this, as will other manufacturers. Denial on their part is pointless, but I guess they are just relying on the fact that after six years you can't prove whose is the fault - which, unfortunately, I'd guess you can't. :-( The easiest way to tell is to drive up square to a wall after dark, and look at the dipped beam patterns on the wall. As above, the "uptick" on both beams should be to the left. It is quite unmistakable.

Brian Kirby - 2014-02-19 11:35 PM

It is defnitely the case that the odd vehicle gets one LHD, and one RHD, headlamp fitted. Fiat will know this, as will other manufacturers. Denial on their part is pointless, but I guess they are just relying on the fact that after six years you can't prove whose is the fault - which, unfortunately, I'd guess you can't. :-( The easiest way to tell is to drive up square to a wall after dark, and look at the dipped beam patterns on the wall. As above, the "uptick" on both beams should be to the left. It is quite unmistakable.

Yes, that's what went through my mind too. I can see their point that if it passed the MOT the first two times something must have change during the final year. It didn't, and I suppose there is nothing to gained by complaining to the previous MOT stations.

Unfortunately, it is not on the 'van as I had to get it changed to get it through the MOT. In fact we have now sold the 'van and are waiting for the new one in March. I was just trying to recoup something by advertising it on eBay but am reluctant if I can't prove it is for a LHD vehicle.

Thanks anyway.

Keith

Slightly off topic, but I have had a new car (a Rover) which was supplied with a left-hand drive, driver's door mirror (the passenger mirror was correct).

The supplying dealer tried to tell me that the reason that I could not see properly was due to me sitting in the wrong position!

This link provide information on vehicle-light markings

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/lights/codes/codes.html

There is the potential for confusion regarding the arrow marking but, if you look at the headlamp from the front of the vehicle and the headlamp carries a 'low beam' single arrow pointing to YOUR RIGHT, that headlamp will have been specifically intended for use on roads where traffic is driven on the left as in the UK. In this case the single arrow points towards the road's verge.

If there's NO 'low beam' arrow, the headlamp will have been specifically intended for use on roads where traffic is driven on the right as in Continental Europe.

The headlamp arrow markings are explained in paragraphs 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2 on this link

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2010:230:0264:0319:EN:PDF

Derek Uzzell - 2014-02-21 9:19 AM

This link provide information on vehicle-light markings

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/lights/codes/codes.html

There is the potential for confusion regarding the arrow marking but, if you look at the headlamp from the front of the vehicle and the headlamp carries a 'low beam' single arrow pointing to YOUR RIGHT, that headlamp will have been specifically intended for use on roads where traffic is driven on the left as in the UK. In this case the single arrow points towards the road's verge.

If there's NO 'low beam' arrow, the headlamp will have been specifically intended for use on roads where traffic is driven on the right as in Continental Europe.

The headlamp arrow markings are explained in paragraphs 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2 on this link

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2010:230:0264:0319:EN:PDF

Hi

Looks like my reply has got lost somewhere....

Thanks for the reply.

Reading your text and that of the link you sent it looks like my headlight is actually a UK headlight as the arrows point to my right (the left of the vehicle).

So I'm off to the garage to complain!

Thanks again.

Keith

OK I'm looking at the headlamp, you didn't say which one, but it's obviously the right hand side as viewed from the front. The top arrow confirms this, the bottom arrow and 2448 seem to confirm it is exactly the same as ours. I have previously posted a photo of beam pattern for ours and it is definitely rhd, so I can only conclude that yours is also rhd .

colin - 2014-02-21 1:35 PM

OK I'm looking at the headlamp, you didn't say which one, but it's obviously the right hand side as viewed from the front. The top arrow confirms this, the bottom arrow and 2448 seem to confirm it is exactly the same as ours. I have previously posted a photo of beam pattern for ours and it is definitely rhd, so I can only conclude that yours is also rhd .

Many thanks - you confirm the previous links that have been posted and my reading of them.

Someone cannot carry out light tests at the FIAT dealership MOT station!

Just another reason why my next 'van isn't going to be based on the FIAT.

Thanks again.

Keith

colin - 2014-02-21 1:35 PM

Many thanks - you confirm the previous links that have been posted and my reading of them.

Someone cannot carry out light tests at the FIAT dealership MOT station!

Just another reason why my next 'van isn't going to be based on the FIAT.

Thanks again.

Keith

Archived