Recommend me a van!

Nelwdn

Hi

I currently have a 1994 VW 2 berth which is just two small for us now. (We have a 3 year old who sleeps in a stretcher style bed across the front seats.)

I have been looking at replacing it with a Romahome R40, but after reading threads on here about them are not so sure. A number of members seems to think it is very overpriced and that better vans can be had, but don't mention which ones.

We have a number of 'musts' for our new van which the R40 seems to tick. Can anybody recommend any others?

Musts:-

Less than 6m long. (We live on the Isle of man so need to get it on the ferry at a sensible price several times a year. It will also be my wifes daily drive.)

A double bed that is at least 4" 6', preferably wider, and at least 6" long. (We are both 6" tall)

3 berth minimum.

4 belted seats, with 3 point belts on all seats, not lap belts.

We will use it for a little winter camping, but mainly summer, with at least 4 weeks continuous touring in Europe / further afield each year.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks

Will

Will all users are different so what may be one users utopia is another's slum. In your case moving from a VW to the R40 you would find it spacious myself coming from a Hymer 644 would find it more constrictive.

The test carried out by Jonathon Llyoyd for MMM was very positive.

Get your wants and dislikes for the new van sorted out clearly before even looking at vans and that will help you decide.

Good luck

Hi Will and Welcome to the forum where you will find lots of Friendly advice, I would suggest you take a look around any local Motorhome dealers to see what's on offer and what would suit your situation, you could start by looking at Motorhome for sale on e bay, most have photos of the lay out and list things like number of seat belts etc., four seat belts would put you in the Newer Models post 2006 I think, It all depends on your price Bracket too.  Everyone has a preference to Engine make, Choose wisely it can be an expensive mistake if you get it wrong.  Good luck.

Guest JudgeMental
kids don't stay kids for long and 3 in a sub 6 metre van will become tight especially if your child wants to bring a friend. There are 5.4 meter vans around, but to me they are to much of a compromise.....a 6 meter far more comfortable......trying to get a van thats OK for commuting gets difficult once you move away from a VW

If the romahome ticks all your boxes then it's the van for you.

But I would point out a few things, as it's a coachbuilt on a dispatch body it comes out as pretty much the same size as a LWB Ducato panelvan so have a look at these to see if anything suits, as these will in many cases offer a better payload, although few if any with 4 traveling seats will give you as long a bed.

Your VW is very little different in every day use to a car, an R40 size van is a fair bit bigger and for every day use things get a bit more difficult, where with the VW you can fit in pretty much any spare parking space the R40 will struggle, it won't fit entirely within a single bay so you will need two spaces or clear space behind for the overhang.

If you want 4 belted seats then the auto cruise range will give you the three berths you want but on a much larger van than you have been used to, and parking will be a nightmare mostly out of town or park & rides or very long walks . While the child is still small why not go for a T5 with the roof bed option you wont get the 4.6 bed but you will be able to park any were . We came from a T5 to a auto sleeper symbol The extra space is fantastic But we have to plan our trips to towns where we know we can park & campsites that are a short bus ride from towns or use bikes ( not an option with a three year old ) The R40 is a good van but you will still find it is not a practical option for ever day use . Good luck but take your time its a big step from the old V W we took over a year looking before we changed & have travelled over 40000 miles so it was a good choice for us .So many good vans around all with good and bad points all are a compromise in some areas, make a wish list of 10 things you really want then see with van tics the most boxes and what you need the van to do for you over a whole year not just a holiday.

I think Romahomes are very well built vans, the R40 has a monocoque (one piece) fibre glass body, which includes some of the internal habitation area, very strong ! I had a good look at one when it was first released, and I was impressed with the quality of the finish. Good for 2, not so sure about a family though.

I would get all the bedding out and assembled, to see how it would work practically before buying.

Ray

Hi and welcome.

It is always subjective to "recommend" a van.

One which nobody has yet mentioned that will fit your requirement is an Auto-Sleepers Nuevo ES., both the pre 2007 (old shape Peugeot Boxer) and the post 2007 (new shape Boxer).

I have not owned either but do did consider one and know that the size and berths/seats are appropriate. The lounge coverts into 2 single beds (front to back) or a transverse double; there is a double transverse bed over the cab.

As with any motorhome, it will be essential to check the build quality very carefully.

Archived