MS Autoroute with Garmin Nuvi 50

candapack

I put a thread up last week didn't get one response.

Export you Autoroute gpx file open it in TyreToTravel export to Garmin.

TyreToTravel is a free route planning program it uses google maps so needs to be on line. Don't know if you can import and export a route without being online I will try tomorrow as this could be very useful.

lennyhb - 2014-02-20 10:58 PM

I put a thread up last week didn't get one response.

Export you Autoroute gpx file open it in TyreToTravel export to Garmin.

TyreToTravel is a free route planning program it uses google maps so needs to be on line. Don't know if you can import and export a route without being online I will try tomorrow as this could be very useful.

OK. Exported route to TyreToTravel. That worked fine.

Then exported to my Garmin. Got message saying it was successfully sent to my Garmin device.

But, I can't find it anywhere on said device. In fact, I can't find anywhere to even look for it!

Firstly I gave you duff information you don't need to bother with TyreToTravel.

Just copy the GPX file straight into the GPX folder on your Garmin.

Where has it gone, with my nuvi2597 it goes into the "Trip Planner" folder, with my older nuvi1470 it went into the "Extras" folder and you had to tell it to make it into a route, with older Garmins it goes into the "Data" folder.

candapack - 2014-02-21 4:53 PM

Mine doesn't have a Data or a Trip Planner Folder, and the Extras folder is empty!

Any ideas?

Actually don't worry about it Lenny. Have signed into Garmin, my device seems pretty basic, only "Extra" available is speed camera info. Thanks for your help though.

I have an older 760. On this model, if you go to Tools, you get a two page menu of items including "Routes" and "My Data".

Logically, if the route is recognised as a route (but I'm a bit doubtful it would have been), it should be in "Routes". Otherwise, I'd expect it to be in My Data, in which there is an option to "Import Routes from File", from which it will then search for routes in memory. My final thought is that it is in "Favourites". AFAIK, when a route is transferred it does not transfer as a route, but just as a series of co-ordinates, that the device is likely to interpret as POIs. Those should be in your "Extras" folder, along with any other POIs you have loaded. However, you say Extras is empty, so presumably they did not actually transfer, or they have gone elsewhere.

Did you name the route for identification? If you connect the Nuvi to your PC, so it goes into mass storage mode, can you find your named file on the device memory anywhere?

Be aware that the route proposed by the Nuvi will not be identical with that set by Autoroute. The routing logic is different, so different roads are liable to be selected.

It may be worth contacting Garmin technical to check whether you can transfer routes to a 50, as it is marketed as a cheap unit, and may not have full functionality. If it is, ask them what program you can use on your PC to build routes to transfer. My guess they will suggest BaseMap. If they do, see below.

If your Nuvi is the 50NMT version, with lifetime map updates, when you download an update you can set it to install maps to both device and PC. Select this option, and let the download complete. Then go to the Garmin website and look for a download called MapSource (they try to push BaseCamp in preference, because it is Mac compatible, but I still think MapSource the better program, even though it is a bit "clunky"). You will also find a downloadable MapSource user manual, which will help a bit. Download and install MapSource and, when you first run it, it will search your PC for the already installed mapping. If it doesn't automatically find it, you may have to browse to it. It will then open with the same mapping as is installed to your Nuvi, so you can create routes in MapSpurce on the PC and transfer those to the Nuvi. But, as above, the logic on the device will be different to that of MapSource, so the Nuvi will not follow exactly the same route as MapSource. To "force" the route to go where you want it to go, you insert waypoints. You can also create POIs in MapSurce and, if you create directories to keep them in, you can transfer these to your Nuvi using POI Loader, which is another free download from the Garmin website. Those you will find in your Extras directory on the Nuvi, under whatever name you gave the directory on your PC.

See if any of the above work. If you e-mail Garmin tech I have found them very informative, and frequently send links to bits of their website for downloads that are otherwise difficult to find. Don't give up, they are great little machines - once you get to know their quirks. :-)

Thanks Brian. And Lenny.

I'll have a go at suggestions when I get a minute, but to be honest, it all seems like too much faffing about with computers than I can generally be bothered with. :-D

I can still use AutoRoute to plan, and put the coordinates into the Nuvi manually.

Or revert to maps with OH navigating - it's worked pretty well for the last 40 years.

Except for that time we were really confused as to where in France we actually were, because it transpired we were in Germany. :D

Like Brian I am a great fan of Autoroute can't beat it for route planning never realised before I started playing around that I could download a route to my Garmin.

I will now try a complicated route and see how it comes out on the Garmin, it should be fine as I have done quite a few routes in TyreToTravel and all that does is download a GPX file with Route/Waypoints and they have always come out true.

In which case you'll have to build the route on the Nuvi. Go to Garmin's website and download the Owner's Manual. Page 6 tells how, under "Adding a stop to a route". It seems this can only be done with a "live" route by adding a Via Point, which is a bit messy and slow. You'd need to pre-plan the route and create a number of Via Points for critical locations you wish to pass through, then save those to favourites. Then select Where to, select the ultimate destination, and allow tye Nuvi to generate its route. Finally, do as instructed on page 6 to add the further places you want to visit adding them from favourites as Via Points.

This seems a quite limited device for the money. It has only UK and Ireland maps, and apparently won't save routes. The 2400 series seem the cheapest that provide trip planning functionality, 2500 series if the 5" screen was a necessity.

Brian Kirby - 2014-02-21 6:44 PM

In which case you'll have to build the route on the Nuvi. Go to Garmin's website and download the Owner's Manual. Page 6 tells how, under "Adding a stop to a route". It seems this can only be done with a "live" route by adding a Via Point, which is a bit messy and slow. You'd need to pre-plan the route and create a number of Via Points for critical locations you wish to pass through, then save those to favourites. Then select Where to, select the ultimate destination, and allow tye Nuvi to generate its route. Finally, do as instructed on page 6 to add the further places you want to visit adding them from favourites as Via Points.

This seems a quite limited device for the money. It has only UK and Ireland maps, and apparently won't save routes. The 2400 series seem the cheapest that provide trip planning functionality, 2500 series if the 5" screen was a necessity.

It is limited, but from memory I paid about £50 in Tesco 2-3 years ago.

Have since bought full European mapping with free lifetime update - think that was c. £70. Presumably if I upgrade the device I keep the maps?

That would be handy to know. (!)

Cheers,

lennyhb - 2014-02-21 8:22 PM

Fairly certain your map updates will be tied to the device, also if you do not update for 18 months they take your device is no longer in use and cancel your updates.

Only paid £140 for my 2597 with lifetime maps & traffic.

Yes, it turns out that "Lifetime" updates refers to the lifetime of the device.

And for Brian, as it happens there was a map update available, so I chose the "download to device and PC" option. For the PC option, Garmin compelled me to download BaseCamp, which is then where the map was saved. However, having never used either that or MapSource, I'll see how I get on with the Garmin choice.

Thanks again for your help.

lennyhb - 2014-02-22 11:38 PM

Base amp is so slow and cumbersome it is unusable . ....................

Which is why I still prefer MapSource. Instant linkage to Google Earth, which works way better than the Bing link in Autoroute, so positioning POIs very easy. Bit clunky (one has to learn it), and less fluid than Autoroute for route planning, but so easy to edit and create POIs for transfer to Garmin devices. Also creates .gpx files that can be exported/imported to/from Autoroute.

Archived