Site with good access to Manchester

Tea Cup

I need a site for a couple of nights with good access to south Manchester next week. I found a site near Knutsford that looks OK but has quoted £24 per night. This is way above what I am normally comfortable with even in high season, but spend many more nights in France than here. It's about 3 years since I camped on a club site so it is probably the going rate.

Suggestions welcome

Not many sites around South Manchester especially ones open now, but have a look at this google list of pubs that allow overnighting. Zoom in on the area you want and then click on the beer glasses for details..

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=http:%2F%2Fmaps.google.com%2Fmaps%2Fms%3Fauthuser%3D0%26vps%3D5%26ie%3DUTF8%26msa%3D0%26output%3Dkml%26msid%3D203913049334888237522.00049af91baebfd18ebc7&hl=en&ll=53.943155,-2.658691&spn=7.336193,21.643066&sll=53.908497,-3.202421&sspn=7.887647,19.753418&t=h&z=6

otherwise a bit more detail of which area and mileage radius you need would help.

Hi Tea Cup...

Not much help from me I'm afraid, other than to say that, if you've found a decent enough site, that is pretty much the area you want and is open(..AND that doesn't, on closer inspection, look like a Traveller site!)..then I reckon that you've done alright... (lol)

My daughter lived and worked in central Manchester(for 5-6years) and we also approached from the south but we never really did find a site that was close enough in to make it worth while using(...car&caravan maybe but not for a MH).

Thanks for these replies. That explains the price, and on balance perhaps I should go with the one I found, it is a least reasonably located and I could easily spend more on diesel than any saving I might make on the quoted price. I don't know the area at all, the last time I visited Manchester was as a child, when I lived in Yorkshire. It's just that £24 off season is a bit of a shock.

The pub idea is interesting, it's something I have never tried. I had a look at the link, it is very useful, if not for now certainly for the future. I'm still investigating one pub. By coincidence I am staying at a pub site next month, but that's darn sarf.

....just an off-chance.

http://www.well-i-holefarm.co.uk/index.htm

I used to drive past quite regularly, and being to the North it is well placed for access to Central Manchester and onward links, being 30 minutes by train (£4.20 return) after a 5min walk to the station (but I don't know if you were planning on Public Transport use).

Somewhat cheaper at £13 (or £15 if over 25ft).

I'm not sure of their season, however (a quick browse of the website doesn't reveal) - though they do have hardstandings.

Robinhood - 2014-02-21 2:49 PM

....just an off-chance.

http://www.well-i-holefarm.co.uk/index.htm

I used to drive past quite regularly, and being to the North it is well placed for access to Central Manchester and onward links, being 30 minutes by train (£4.20 return) after a 5min walk to the station (but I don't know if you were planning on Public Transport use).

Somewhat cheaper at £13 (or £15 if over 25ft).

I'm not sure of their season, however (a quick browse of the website doesn't reveal) - though they do have hardstandings.

I need to go to the UH Withigate, there's parking at the hospital, so if I go in the van I have the choice of driving straight back home if released early, so Knutsford is handy being close to the motorway and West Didsbury. I'd rather stay to the south, not knowing Manchester, and not liking Cities. I worked in London for decades!! That's enough for me.

There was an offer, now expired, for a room at W Didsbury Premier Inn for £29, but I didn't want to book at that time. That's another thing that made the campsite seem expensive. Thank you for your suggestion, though.

paulmold - 2014-02-21 1:56 PM

Not many sites around South Manchester especially ones open now, but have a look at this google list of pubs that allow overnighting. Zoom in on the area you want and then click on the beer glasses for details..

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=http:%2F%2Fmaps.google.com%2Fmaps%2Fms%3Fauthuser%3D0%26vps%3D5%26ie%3DUTF8%26msa%3D0%26output%3Dkml%26msid%3D203913049334888237522.00049af91baebfd18ebc7&hl=en&ll=53.943155,-2.658691&spn=7.336193,21.643066&sll=53.908497,-3.202421&sspn=7.887647,19.753418&t=h&z=6

otherwise a bit more detail of which area and mileage radius you need would help.

Thanks for the link looks very useful.

Allow plenty of time for getting there. The roads and motorway around Manchester Airport can snarl up very quickly and gridlock is not unusual in the rush hours. During normal hours, the roads tend to flow OK.

The M6 in Cheshire can be a car park in patches from Stoke on Trent to just south of Preston even off peak. It's almost a no-go on early Monday mornings or Fridays from about 3pm.

When we come back from the south west, we come off the M5 for Kidderminster and take the scenic route via Whitchurch up to the M56 whether we are back to the Wirral or family in Stockport. It takes longer but hold ups are rare outside peak times.

If you mean Wythenshaw Hospital, then East Manchester out on the Cheshire Plain to Warrington will bring you in on the M56 which is OK most of the time and flows freely off peak. I'd look to the East, not to the South.

CC has plenty of CLs to choose from but I reckon a pub site might be a good idea!

The only site I know near the East Lancs road (Liverpool-Manchester) is at Culcheth although nearer the East Lancs than the village. It's run by Jane and Ian Grimshaw, phone 01825 768160. Nothing smart about the site, but they have loos and showers and have put in almost all hard standing with electric. However, no transport near the site and I think you would have to go to Leigh, about 5 miles, to pick up either a train or certainly a bus. I haven't tried parking the 'van in Leigh though so you would have to make enquiries.As this is the only site near to Culcheth where we have friends and our son and family near Leigh this means that it is always wise to book as there seem to be people staying in all seasons.

I would look at CLs etc south of Manchester though and nearer to Wythenshaw.

Good luck.

Brock - 2014-02-21 6:01 PM

Allow plenty of time for getting there. The roads and motorway around Manchester Airport can snarl up very quickly and gridlock is not unusual in the rush hours. During normal hours, the roads tend to flow OK.

The M6 in Cheshire can be a car park in patches from Stoke on Trent to just south of Preston even off peak. It's almost a no-go on early Monday mornings or Fridays from about 3pm.

We are going up the day before, and leaving a couple of hours to get there the next day, so anticipate that should be enough. It's actually called Withington hospital.

Archived