---

richard10002

Boat related, but im sure its relevant to motorhomes - Another 5 minute job that's going to take ages

Bought a new TV aerial with a 4 way mast head amplifier, so I can have TV in the saloon and in the bedroom. Fitted the aerial but discover that the power supply for the amp is 240v input, which converts to 12v. It seems the amp takes no more than 100mA.

I don't want to have an inverter running all the time I want to watch TV, so is there a masthead amp power supply that works with an input of 12V - I'm convinced that a mobile traveller, (land or water based), somewhere will have dealt with this previously?

Many Thanks

Richard

Just a very quick search I found this. So yes you can get although this is only a 2 way splitter.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Maxview-12-24V-Variable-Aerial-Signal-Booster-Caravan-Motorhome-Canal-Boat-HGV-/290753262905?pt=UK_Campervan_Caravan_Accessories&hash=item43b23eb539#ht_1971wt_1393

p.s. Ahh Sorry, you said masthead, so presumably needs to be water proof!

...can't find anything with a 12v to 12v masthead power supply, but you might be able to rig something up with a power injector and a separate 12v dc feed. (e.g. Spaun FSW5 or Kingray PSK06F - though this latter would need the (separate) 230v supply cutting off first).

Not many options for multiple outputs in this solution, though if the amp is decent, the signal will probably survive a splitter.

Should probably have considered one of the caravan/boat 12v specific aerials with multiple output boosters.

Not into boats so forgive possible ignorance.

Could you not use an interior 12v one and just bring the Aerial cable inboard to feed it, what you seem to be a suggesting is having the amp up the mast then bringing two cables down, which seems to be a bit ott to my none boating mind.

Brambles - 2014-02-22 12:43 AM

Just a very quick search I found this. So yes you can get although this is only a 2 way splitter.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Maxview-12-24V-Variable-Aerial-Signal-Booster-Caravan-Motorhome-Canal-Boat-HGV-/290753262905?pt=UK_Campervan_Caravan_Accessories&hash=item43b23eb539#ht_1971wt_1393

p.s. Ahh Sorry, you said masthead, so presumably needs to be water proof!

Ordered a splitter which might work if the signal without the amp is strong enough. Otherwise, I might buy the one you found, or a Status power and amp thing. I only need to inject the 12 V into the cable to the mast, so hope that turning down the amplification on the power thing would work.

Thanks for looking

Alibaba - 2014-02-23 3:34 PM

Not into boats so forgive possible ignorance.

Could you not use an interior 12v one and just bring the Aerial cable inboard to feed it, what you seem to be a suggesting is having the amp up the mast then bringing two cables down, which seems to be a bit ott to my none boating mind.

I can see where you are coming from.

It's neater to feed one cable through the front of the boat for the lounge TV, (this is the existing cable), with the other cable running along the roof about 25ft, before entering the bedroom via a roof vent.

If both came into the boat at the front, it would be a weeks job to feed the cable through the boat to the bedroom.

Thanks for te thoughts

All this just to achive the equivalent of this circuit below. How are you with building a simple circuit?

edit - L2 is optional as it is there to protect the signal input to recievers form getting 12 volts should C1 fail because of voltage surges. L2 provides a path for the voltage to ground and the fuse blows.

powersupplyaerial1.JPG.fb8e41bb610e8e117702e1e6bcf2d55e.JPG

richard10002 - 2014-02-23 11:09 PM

I only need to inject the 12 V into the cable to the mast, so hope that turning down the amplification on the power thing would work.

.....well, I gave you a few hints above on doing this, but the following looks very viable.

One of the "inserters" on the Satcure page here: (£7.95 or £3.95)

http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/page3.htm#inserter

(towards the bottom of the page, or search for "inserter")

...powered from your 12V system (preferably, I would think, via a cheap regulated 12V to 12V supply - probably less that a tenner).

With the splitter you've already bought, jobs a good 'un.

;-)

Archived