changing the ringpiece on a toilet

duetto owner

our thetford cassette toilet started to leak, so bought a new rubber ring piece. But what a nightmare putting it back together.

I would suggest dismantle very carfully recrding how bits go, The instruction leaflet shows how to remove but is very poor on putting the thing back together.

in the end went to store and we spent ages trying to figure it out but got there in the end.

the ring goes in easily but its putting the slider arm and closing disk back that bamboozled us,

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First law of taking things to bits : always make a drawing, or get hold of a Diagram of how it goes back together. saves a lot of heartache.

http://www.leisurespares.co.uk/files/c200cwe.pdf Like this !

Changed the 'lipseal' before now, without too much hassle. Don't recall a 'ringpiece' being listed as a spare,

perhaps the whole backside will need replacing ?? 8-) Ray

Guest JudgeMental
peter - 2014-02-22 8:11 PM

Dave (pelmetman) will be along in a minute, he knows all about ringpieces from his time in the navy. :D

Indeed.......its very sad when the old ring piece goes, can be very messy.......

Can't see any mention of "ring piece" replacement in that link , Derek. (lol)

A ring piece is a medical term used to describe the opening of the rectum on the ... The word ring piece is a slang used in British meaning the anal sphincter :D

duetto owner - 2014-02-22 5:59 PM

our thetford cassette toilet started to leak, so bought a new rubber ring piece. But what a nightmare putting it back together.

I would suggest dismantle very carfully recrding how bits go, The instruction leaflet shows how to remove but is very poor on putting the thing back together.

in the end went to store and we spent ages trying to figure it out but got there in the end.

the ring goes in easily but its putting the slider arm and closing disk back that bamboozled us,

I have a 2008 Duetto and changed the toilet sealing ring recently without any trouble. It is indeed a slightly messy job as you have to open the cassette and undo about 6 screws holding the seal and its mechanism in place which are covered in a somewhat disgusting film of material, but it was not at all difficult.

The sealing ring on the older version of the Thetford cassette was much quicker to change and could be done from the outside without any dismantling at all, just 6 screws to undo, change the seal and replace the screws.

Rayjsj - 2014-02-22 8:31 PM

First law of taking things to bits : always make a drawing, or get hold of a Diagram of how it goes back together. saves a lot of heartache.

http://www.leisurespares.co.uk/files/c200cwe.pdf Like this !

Changed the 'lipseal' before now, without too much hassle. Don't recall a 'ringpiece' being listed as a spare,

perhaps the whole backside will need replacing ?? 8-) Ray

Here we go B-)

Guest JudgeMental

Dave (pelmetman) will be along in a minute, he knows all about ringpieces from his time in the navy. :D

Very strange......Pelmet is keeping very tight lipped on this topic...

peter - 2014-02-23 7:12 PM

Can't see any mention of "ring piece" replacement in that link , Derek. (lol)

A ring piece is a medical term used to describe the opening of the rectum on the ... The word ring piece is a slang used in British meaning the anal sphincter :D

It's hardly surprising that Thetford would not include a slang term in their toilet repair instructions.

When I read the original posting I asked myself what a "new rubber ring piece" meant. Did it refer to a seal in the top of the removable cassette, or to a seal within the fixed part of the toilet? I also wondered which of the several models of Thetford cassette toilet was involved.

Having looked back through earlier postings by 'duetto owner' I assumed that he still owned a 2009 Auto-Sleepers Duetto, and photos of such vehicles suggested it would be fitted with a Thetford C-402 bench-type toilet. Thetford's repair instructions have a good deal of information about the C-400 toilet - including replacing the various seals - and should have helped decide which bits went where.

As the forum's amateur proctologists had by then chosen to entertain themselves rather than be useful, I just decided to provide a link to the repair instructions as these might help anyone else planning to carry out work on Thetford toilets.

derek yes still got the 09 duetto. Perhaps its me not being mechanical minderdbut both the store owner and myself spent ages trying to put the arm and the plastic disc back right so it would open and close. the pics in the leaflet were very dark and hard to followed. The thing fell apart as i undid the screw before i had a chanceto note anything.

i presume 5 years is an average life of one of these.

duetto owner - 2014-02-24 6:37 PM

The thing fell apart as i undid the screw before i had a chanceto note anything.

can last a lifetime if not abused, and rubbed with olive oil on a regular basis. 8-) Ray

Guest pelmetman
Rayjsj - 2014-02-24 8:13 PM

The thing fell apart as i undid the screw before i had a chanceto note anything.

can last a lifetime if not abused, and rubbed with olive oil on a regular basis. 8-) Ray

24 years and still going strong ;-)..................and never felt the need to rub it with anything :-S.............

Guest pelmetman

How could you say such a thing Peter........... I'm no expert :-S...............as I was only allowed to polish them :D

Ray[

/QUOTE]

....alternatively you can take digital photos as you take things apart - and once it's back together you can erase them.

;-)

malc d - 2014-02-24 8:43 PM

Ray[

/QUOTE]

....alternatively you can take digital photos as you take things apart - and once it's back together you can erase them.

;-)

Ahhh the wonders of technology, just think what Brunel COULD have built if he had had a Digital camera. Ray

derek yes still got the 09 duetto. Perhaps its me not being mechanical minderdbut both the store owner and myself spent ages trying to put the arm and the plastic disc back right so it would open and close. the pics in the leaflet were very dark and hard to followed. The thing fell apart as i undid the screw before i had a chanceto note anything.

The 'blade' in early Thetford bench-type cassettes slid against the base of the rubber lip-seal. More recent cassettes have a blade that moves sideways initially beneath the lip-seal, and then moves upwards to form an airtight/watertight seal. The lower side of the lip-seal could wear with the earlier blade type, but this is less likely with the later design.

I've no idea how long the average life of a lip-seal might be as the seal (old type cassette) of my Herald was still OK at 8 years of age when I sold the vehicle and the seal of my 2005 Hobby's Thetford toilet (later design cassette) shows no sign of leakage.

Use of aggressive domestic cleaners can damage the seal as can rough treatment if the blade sticks to the seal. As Ray advises, olive oil can be used as a lip-seal lubricant and (as you are aware) Thetford markets a maintenance spray

http://www.thetford-europe.com/product/seal-lubricant/

'Scale' can build up on toilet-cassette rubber seals (not just on the lip-seal) and, if this happens, the seal will start to leak. If there's no obvious signs of damage, taking out the seal and soaking it in a citric-acid solution to remove the scale may stop the leakage.

Toilet cassettes differ according to the model of Thetford toilet (and the C-400 cassette comes in left- or right-hand versions) and the method needed to replace a lip-seal varies. This video-clip contains advice from John Wickersham on how to replace a lip-seal

but the demonstration relates to a C-200 toilet's cassette where lip-seal replacement is more straightforward than for a Thetford C-400.

Archived