Don't ignore parking tickets

Guest Peter James

Guest Peter James

In case you didn't know, the advice to ignore private parking tickets is now outdated.

Since they lost the right to wheelclamp you, they have gained other rights.

That doesn't mean you should automatically pay what they ask - you may still avoid paying.

But its got a lot more complicated than just ignoring them.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=163

Guest Peter James
pepe63 - 2014-02-23 12:36 PM

I would say don't park where you shouldn't....therefore avoiding the ticket in the first place. ;-)

.. and if other suitable parking was available perhaps we would never need to park where we shouldn't

Guest Peter James
hallii - 2014-02-23 12:29 PM

I would say don't pay. I have done just that. They still have no legal right to demand money by menaces, or to demand payment for money that exceeds their losses.

POPLA appeal is the way to go and even the small claims court, they rarely win.

See http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?s=78aeae8174c36ab2cb62e6bea7fa907e&

H

Good link,Thanks B-)

• 8 months later...

A pal of mine is currently getting letters from Parking eye demanding I think £100, his "crime" was stopping on an almost deserted motorway service area for just over two hours in the middle of the night. (!)

Perhaps the highways agency should amend those signs that say "Tiredness kills take a break" adding as long as it isn't longer than two hours.

I cannot understand how it is private companies can pay and obtain for information from DVLA, I thought there was supposed to be data protection in this country, it's a bloody scandal.

Guest Peter James
Peter James - 2014-02-23 12:48 PM

I would say don't park where you shouldn't....therefore avoiding the ticket in the first place. ;-)

.. and if other suitable parking was available perhaps we would never need to park where we shouldn't

This *-)

pepe63 - 2014-11-14 11:35 AM

ips - 2014-11-14 11:10 AM

This

Oi!... don't get draggin' me back into this... (lol)

;-)

oops too late :-D

I think it's perfectly reasonable for Hospitals to employ these modern day Dick Turpins, just adds to the whole stressful situations of ill health, or visiting a sick or in our case once a dying relative (!) Shame they don't die to coincide with a parking ticket expiry time.

Joe90 - 2014-11-14 1:30 PM

I think it's perfectly reasonable for Hospitals to employ these modern day Dick Turpins, just adds to the whole stressful situations of ill health, or visiting a sick or in our case once a dying relative (!) Shame they don't die to coincide with a parking ticket expiry time.

Regrettably gone are the days, it seems, of paying for parking when you leave.....how on earth can you know if you attend for an appointment at a hospital how long you will be - it's not unknown for a consultant to be running over an hour late, so it's no use putting on an hour's ticket....but this surely is just another way to make more money!

Down here in sunny (!) Dawlish, you even pay to park if you go to the Doctors - and again you can never tell how long the wait will be.

Guest Peter James

If you see a car parked where it shouldn't be, take a photo and post it on here ......... **** = the c word .......... http://www.parkedlikea****.com/ - (lol)

Guest Peter James
Problem with supermarket and hospital car parks is that if there were no restrictions the car parks would be full of people who have parked and gone elsewhere. You can't really blame them for putting restrictions on. They don't have this problem across the channel because there is adequate alternative parking. The British Government has created this problem by pocketing all our road taxes but washing its hands of any responsibility to provide adequate facilities like parking.

One of my cars recently had official and written permission for parking at a London hospital but was still sent a charge notice, The dispute is still ongoing after 6 months, each time a valid reply is sent it adds another waiting period to the final judgement.

Officialdom at its greatest.

Only magistrates and judges can impose fines, anyone else is only entitled to ask you for money. If you decline they can take you to court and state their case, they may win or they may not. The fact that they are given access to your personal information by an agency of the state is perhaps something that we should take up with the people we elect and pay to represent our interests in parliament.

AGD

campervanista - 2014-11-21 4:26 PM

When hospital charges throughout the UK are abolished I will be prepared to consider that I live in a civilised country.

Nice idea - but if they were free you would never be able to find a place in one.

They would be full of cars parked by local shoppers.

( In a really " civilised" country they wouldn't park there ).

:-(

Archived