Getting motorhomes level

Thewad

Rookie question number 2 How important is this ? And how far off level does it need to be for the fridge not too work.

I have read a few things about this and seen various methods from £4k self levelling to £20 plastic Ramps , what do most people use

Not too bothered as long as we don't roll out of bed, the fridge works and the shower drains away(sometimes diffucult to achieve,2 drainplugs the answer) most of us carry a set of Plastic ramps, We use the Milenco ones because they have a solid base and don't sink into the mud. Don't get too pedantic though, It can be very entertaining watching someone taking literally hours with a spirit level. ;-) Ray

The fridge will still work at an angle you will find it difficult to sleep at. (it's in the manual if you want degrees of tilt etc.,).

Guest Peter James
Rayjsj - 2014-02-23 5:32 PM

Not too bothered as long as we don't roll out of bed,

Same here. So I have got the bed suspended on 4 ratchet straps, one at each corner. Takes about one minute to get the bed perfectly level, irrespective of the level of the van :-D

Thewad - 2014-02-23 5:45 PM

Looks to be a good product 3 or 4 step ?

we manage with a 3, but if you have the room go for a 4,

be very careful if you reverse up onto them though, get the missus to watch you up. I ignored this advice did it on my own, and went straight over the top !!! jammed them up into the wheelarch and did damage. Kept the people around me amused for ages !!

Good luck. Ray :$

Don't worry too much near enough is good enough fridges work ok as if you measure the width of them you would have to be a long way off level for any problems as said as long as you can stay in the bed and the coffee doesn't spill you are ok. John (lol)

We use Milenco trebles to get roughly level, as long as we (for that read gf) are comfortable in bed it's near enough, but there have been a couple of occasions when the trebles have not been high enough, one memorable occasion was on temp field at Gatcombe when trying to get to bed felt like climbing a steep hill.

Birder - 2014-02-23 8:42 PMI'm in the same school as Ray on this one. If it looks level enough so that we don't roll out of bed then it's fine.When we arrive at our destination we have more to do & see; than spending precious time putting blocks under wheels.
Us too, our van likes to be a bit left hand down (facing the front) as the sinks and shower drain better and the waste tank empties better,never had a problem with a frige ever whatever the level.Getting dead level and watching people with Sat dishes faffing about is always a source of ammusement for us.

We have a pair of Fiamma levellers which do the job, however we only deploy them if really necessary, mainly to make it 'comfortable' to eat and especially to make it safe to cook and avoid the pans sliding off the cooker! We can quite happily sleep on a bit of a slope so long as our heads are higher than our feet.

Depending on what age of MH you have you may find that some older fridges are more susceptible to not being level than others, only having a read up about your particular model will give you the necessary info.

I note the posting about not being able to get level on a big slope - we had this problem at a CL on the Isle of Wight but by pitching our PVC across the slope, rather than running with it, the height needed to raise it level was much less and therefore our levellers worked perfectly ... not a lot of people think of this! Also, a lot of MHs are actually higher at one end than the other (usually the rear is higher) so just by turning your MH round can often solve the problem of levelling without having to use anything at all.

Mel B - 2014-02-23 10:51 PM

We have a pair of Fiamma levellers which do the job, however we only deploy them if really necessary, mainly to make it 'comfortable' to eat and especially to make it safe to cook and avoid the pans sliding off the cooker! We can quite happily sleep on a bit of a slope so long as our heads are higher than our feet.

Depending on what age of MH you have you may find that some older fridges are more susceptible to not being level than others, only having a read up about your particular model will give you the necessary info.

I note the posting about not being able to get level on a big slope - we had this problem at a CL on the Isle of Wight but by pitching our PVC across the slope, rather than running with it, the height needed to raise it level was much less and therefore our levellers worked perfectly ... not a lot of people think of this! Also, a lot of MHs are actually higher at one end than the other (usually the rear is higher) so just by turning your MH round can often solve the problem of levelling without having to use anything at all.

Not always a good idea to use the Milenco's across slope, on a very steep slope they could become unstable,

Milenco Quattro ramps are really good....stable, wide and easy to use. Just make sure the 'pockets are empty before you go putting them in the bag. if it's been raining Like others have said as long as you've got a slight slope which makes your sink drain better that's it job done.  Once you've done it a few times you'll find you get a 'feel' for it when going up the ramps.

Most things have been addressed but one thing that should be pointed out to new users of ramps is that if on hard ground with the drive wheels on ramps, when you come to drive off, ie it wont roll off. The ramps can fly off from under the wheels like bullets. So be gentle on the gas and make sure there is no one stood in front of the van.

Only to add;

I always use chocks with our four step ramps, Milenco say you don't need them, but we have moved down the ramps a couple of times without chocks. Might be the ramps settling with the weight on a soft surface.

Leveling is only important if you need to be level !! The navigator likes her shower, so getting the m/home shower tray to drain means being up 2 ramps on the nearside wheel relative to the offside wheel and level fore and aft.

Otherwise I get complaining noises from the shower as the water is chased down the plughole with a piece of sponge.

Much easier if she used the site facilities !

Rgds

Cliffy - 2014-02-24 4:44 PMMost things have been addressed but one thing that should be pointed out to new users of ramps is that if on hard ground with the drive wheels on ramps, when you come to drive off, ie it wont roll off. The ramps can fly off from under the wheels like bullets. So be gentle on the gas and make sure there is no one stood in front of the van.

Bloody hell Cliffy...if that's a 'real' problem maybe those 'offenders' need lessons in clutch/throttle control............or shouldn't be driving.

We come from the 'posh' end of Motorhome owners and actually use our shower when on holiday.

Ramps for this task are essential.

To achieve the water draining out of the single plug hole we always try to park with the drivers side slightly higher than the other side or else the water slops around on one side and only disappears when we drive away next day.

A pair of these are used throughout the holiday –

266571013_Level2.jpg.aa52e56db55d99c76e7390027133e6b0.jpg

Madge Gentle - 2014-02-24 8:39 PM

We come from the 'posh' end of Motorhome owners and actually use our shower when on holiday.

To achieve the water draining out of the single plug hole we always try to park with the drivers side slightly higher than the other side or else the water slops around on one side and only disappears when we drive away next day.

You need to dump your cheap motorhome and buy one with two plug holes ;-) :D

RogerC - 2014-02-24 8:10 PM
Cliffy - 2014-02-24 4:44 PMMost things have been addressed but one thing that should be pointed out to new users of ramps is that if on hard ground with the drive wheels on ramps, when you come to drive off, ie it wont roll off. The ramps can fly off from under the wheels like bullets. So be gentle on the gas and make sure there is no one stood in front of the van.

Bloody hell Cliffy...if that's a 'real' problem maybe those 'offenders' need lessons in clutch/throttle control............or shouldn't be driving.

"Guilty as charged your honour"I was on a farm site at Abersoch the front wheels were on hard gravel the back wheels were on grass sloping down towards the hard standing the van did not roll off as it had to go uphill on the grass, I admit I did put a bit more throttle than would normally be needed as I had to get up the slope in reverse.(not easy in a 2 Ltr Ducatto) It was a good job there was a fence in front of me otherwise I would have been fishing them out of the sea. I have been very careful ever since.

colin - 2014-02-24 8:42 PM

Madge Gentle - 2014-02-24 8:39 PM

You need to dump your cheap motorhome and buy one with two plug holes ;-) :D

Our new one (when we get it) has THREE. :D :D :D

Archived