Aire at Calais

Star55

Hi

I noticed last year someone posted that apparently the Aire down by the beach was going to be closed and facilities moved to the yacht basin area where parking already exists and I wondered if anyone knew if this had happened. We're quite happy to stay at the larger area but are concerned there are no facilities so you have to go all the way to the Aire to fill & empty. We're in a small motorhome so our tanks are not too large - we're OK for fresh as we carry containers but waste could be an issue. We are not happy with just letting it go on the car park - environmental issues etc but to have to store in containers to take over the next morning is not desirable either. We need to be handy for the Tunnel as we are not early risers so need to be able to almost roll out of bed and onto train! thanks

Guest JudgeMental
We stayed at the City d'Europe parking last night (for about the 6th time) along with a handful of vans..nice and quiet, good shopping in centre + plus plenty of choice for a meal and drinks

Strewth, I was just logging on to ask this very question.

Intend to go away in March, got a week off and want to visit Brugge and area. Need to catch the boat back and want an aire nearby.

A couple of years ago we went to Cite Europe and there were some people wandering about looking into vans,so we left, but all seems ok now Judge?

Are there any other suggestions for staying overnight before the ferry, is the port area a possibility at all?

Thank you :-D

Guest JudgeMental
Hawcara - 2014-02-23 7:42 PM

Intend to go away in March, got a week off and want to visit Brugge and area. Need to catch the boat back and want an aire nearby.

A couple of years ago we went to Cite Europe and there were some people wandering about looking into vans,so we left, but all seems ok now Judge?

Are there any other suggestions for staying overnight before the ferry, is the port area a possibility at all?

have never had a problem there..by coincidence we were at Brugge aire the night before...Brugge is now very expensive for eating out.the beer is OK but not as good as Germany in our opinion....

JudgeMental - 2014-02-23 7:58 PM

Hawcara - 2014-02-23 7:42 PM

have never had a problem there..by coincidence we were at Brugge aire the night before...Brugge is now very expensive for eating out.the beer is OK but not as good as Germany in our opinion....

We always found Brugge expensive to eat out- once got charged €1 extra per person for gravy with our meal!!!

Mike

Re going to Gravelines - I have an old Aires book and there doesn't appear to be any facilities there either? I just need somewhere for waste water at Calais or do people just let it run out at the large car park rather than go across town to the Aire? I am quite happy staying there but I have a problem if there is nowhere to empty waste water.

Quite - hence the question as there are no facilities at the car park so what are vans with small capacity tanks supposed to do? I was just wondering if the authorities were upgrading that area why they had not installed water/drainage. If they have not, then we will have to reconsider.

Star55 - 2014-02-23 9:24 PM

Re going to Gravelines - I have an old Aires book and there doesn't appear to be any facilities there either? I just need somewhere for waste water at Calais or do people just let it run out at the large car park rather than go across town to the Aire? I am quite happy staying there but I have a problem if there is nowhere to empty waste water.

The facilities at Gravelines are just up the road and are signposted. It's a proper disposal point etc.

Guest Had Enough

It amazes me how people get very excited about grey water. It's water with a bit of dissolved soap and food particles in it! It's not going to kill anyone!

Clearly, you don't dump it on a car park in front of passers-by but carry a bucket, drain your waste into it and tip it down the nearest street drain. My own waste discharges to the side and I can position it over a drain and dump the lot.

It's also perfectly acceptable to dump it along hedgerows or into undergrowth. Some CL owners actually encourage this.

I alway find it strange that in summer on sites in Europe that are parched people won't feed the plants and bushes by sprinkling their grey water around the roots.

Had Enough - 2014-02-23 10:26 PM

It amazes me how people get very excited about grey water. It's water with a bit of dissolved soap and food particles in it! It's not going to kill anyone!

Clearly, you don't dump it on a car park in front of passers-by but carry a bucket, drain your waste into it and tip it down the nearest street drain. My own waste discharges to the side and I can position it over a drain and dump the lot.

It's also perfectly acceptable to dump it along hedgerows or into undergrowth. Some CL owners actually encourage this.

I alway find it strange that in summer on sites in Europe that are parched people won't feed the plants and bushes by sprinkling their grey water around the roots.

Yippie! wise words mate I always thought it was plutonium that came out of M/home waste tanks

Another purpose built Camping Car service facility, at Calais, is the one at the Auchan supermarket.

It is situated, and signed, at the side of their garage, on the opposite side of the road to the supermarket, with easy access.

This is a drive over service point, and not for overnight parking, but very convenient to use.

When we stayed on the yacht Basin in October the guy collecting the fee ,told us that the campsite had closed and the sea front aire would also close some time in 2014, Has they are going to build a conference centre there. He also stated that a new Aire was going to be providing further along the coast and when that was finished the Aire at the yacht basin would end... Apparently they are still trying to get the funding together for this new development...

The Auchan filling station at Coquelles ( less than 10 minutes from City Europe ) has a service point if you do not want to pay for water to wash out your toilet cassette just use your grey waste water , Then you can overnight on the motorhome park at City Europe ready for your early morning crossing. As easy as that and fill up with cheap diesel .

Just had a look on I-Campingcar and Campingcar infos and both still include the Aire beside the beach with a great view of the Ferries! but if you want some something a little better try MARCK at Latitude : (Nord) 50.95625° Décimaux ou   50° 57' 22'' 
Longitude : (Est) 1.92837° Décimaux ou   1° 55' 42''

Parking et Service Gratuite and fairly modern facilities. From www.campingcar-infos.com/

Quote 'Grocro' NEVER let your waste water out on a car park or on the open road, dispose of thoughtfully.

How much I agree with you, Its no wonder that Camping carists are treated like travelers if they are encouraged to act like them, Grey water STINKS especially in the summer and the grease , well don't get me going............But I have to assume that others do not have that problem even with their black water *-)

Thanks for all the useful info - I was particularly interested to hear about the possible move of the Aire so no wonder they are not doing anything about facilities at the other parking area. That would be a shame as we have been coming for years and do contribute to the economy of Calais by shopping and going out for a meal but if the location is away from amenities, this would not encourage us to stay. We shall await developments.

Archived