travelling to Germany and touring the Rhine Valley

kevandlyn

Could any of you give my wife and I help and tips on touring the Rhine Valley and Germany in general ( and any must see & do areas) as we have toured parts of France three times and fancied taking a look at Germany.

We live in West Yorkshire and am not sure whether to pay a lot more and go via Hull to Zeebrugge or do more driving and go for the cheaper crossing from Dover. We plan to go for the last week of May and the first two weeks of June. kevin

Kevin, I think it might help if you give a bit more detail on where you prefer to stay in France, sites or aires, and on what intrests you, at least as between scenery (and if possible what kinds of scenery) or national culture - which would mostly be found in towns and cities. Or is history your main interest? Historic, medieval town centres, or more recent, WW2, history, for example. Castles and palaces? You have three weeks, so you won't get that far geographically. Do you have a guide book to Germany? A good place to start. What others may suggest will be what interested them, which may not be what interests you, so some guidance will help us to help you. :-)

A good post Brian.

Whenever we think of going to a country which we haven't visited before, our first "research" will be to borrow a guide book from a library. It means that we can read about places that may appeal to our interests. We can then look these up on the internet and probably see some photos.

It still surprises me that on this and some other forums (eg CC Club Together) some people ask very general questions such as where to go in a particular country or which way to go or to recommend a "good" campsite or where to make an overnight stop on a journey. We can all learn from other people;sharing ideas and information in person or on forums is good but as you rightly point out what others may suggest will be what they have enjoyed yet may not appeal to someone else. It is necessary to know what people enjoy doing/seeing/how far they wish to travel before making suggestions but even then there is no guarantee that they will enjoy what others did.

Kevin, please do not take my comments as criticism. As Brian suggests, looking at a guide book (or 2 or 3 ) may help you and your wife to identify places you would like to visit. Countries, individual regions and towns have tourist information websites which you can peruse to get further information. You could then look at the ACSI Discount Card website and identify if there are discounted sites in those areas. You will be able to decide after reading descriptions and looking at photos whether these sites appeal to you. You know how much you wish to spend and how far you wish to drive in 3 weeks, including actually getting to and from Germany, so you will be able to decide as a couple which ferry route you wish to use.

We actually enjoy doing some of these "pre-planning" but also find that one of the joys of travelling at the time of year you mention in a motorhome is that we can be flexible, adapting what we do as we come across interesting places once we are in our chosen countries. Sometimes that has been because we have seen information in leaflets or booklets that we picked up at campsites or in tourist information centres and sometimes because other folks have told us about nearby places and shown us photos.

Have a super trip and enjoy whatever you decide to do on your holiday.

I live in Yorkshire too and consider the ferry from Hull wins every time. We are occasionally tempted by low fares from Dover, but the Thames crossing at Dartford is always a pain and we invariably regret going that way. If you are a member of the Camping and Caravanning club or the Caravan Club you can get discount on the Hull crossing, 10% on a return trip.We always think it's great when returning to Hull we are only about an hour from home and don't have to face the congestion of southern England.

Ive done the Mosel, Rhine and Black Forest.

There is some pretty useless ramblings here on my blog but some nice photos https://sites.google.com/site/hanktestsite2/blog/summer-2011/germany (lol)

I prefered the Mosel to the Rhine as the bit of the Rhine we did was very noisy. Lots of boat traffic, rail traffic and some busy roads but still interesting.

I love the Black Forest and we have been several times now. Watch out for the Stellplatz Killer though! (see blog). :-D

We have also been down Lake Constance and into Bavaria. Constance is ok but difficult access unless you have a scooter or bikes. Bavaria is stunning.

IF you can, cross over to Switzerland and see the Rhine falls. Superb. Actually most of Switzerland is superb.

I would like to see more of Germany

hi kev and lyn

Another vote for the Mosel Valley. Although on a three week trip a few years ago we went down the Mosel valley to Koblenz then onto the Rhine valley, stayed 5 days in Rudesheim. We then went on to the Black Forest and spent a week at LakeTitisee a lovely place. After this we returned via the Alsace staying a few days at Obernai. It was a lovely trip with superb weather and easily accomplished in 3 weeks.

Bavaria is also beautiful with so much to see and do although with the mountains the weather can be variable. We have also visited Lake Constance and really enjoyed our stay here near Lindau a lovely town.

With the exception of Titisee we are returning to all these places again this year, but for 4 weeks this time with 2 weeks in Poland and Austria.

We have been going through France and into Germany for a few years now, like others have said the Mosel has more opportunities to stop and has lots of Stals; we have travelled slowly from Trier towards Koblenz and then on to the Rhine, we like to stop at Bacharach which is a lovely old walled town but I much prefer the Mosel. We have travelled along the Romantic Strasse the Black forest and lake Constance and on to Bavaria which is beautiful, and this year we will be going into Austria, we have only passed through a small area when coming the other way from France and Switzerland, we meander for 6 weeks so have plenty of time to do this.

As you have three weeks I would just concentrate on as you have said the Rhine and the Mosel, whatever you will enjoy it as long as we don't have the bad weather that was in that area last year ! there was a lot of standing rain water and we were just making it up as we travelled along ;-) which is very easy and a big advantage of a motor-home.

If you can get a copy of the Bord Atlas and the free Top Platz book that you can pick up if you happen on one of their sites, they are a great help with maps and Stalplatz locations, but of course they are lots of camp sites on route and unless you are hitting on high season you wont have any difficulty getting on.

We are in N.Yorks on the East coast I like the idea of departing from Hull but because of the dogs we usually go by the tunnel, and the dreaded Dartford crossing :-) but stop at Peterborough for a break so its not to bad and takes us 6 hours, cross about 4.00pm and make for somewhere not to far from Calais for our first night stop.

Have a good trip Germany is lovely.

It may help the OP if folk were a little clearer about where they have been. Bavaria (Bayern in German), is huge. It is the largest of the German Lander, and covers over 27,000 sq miles with a population of over 12.5 million. Saying Bavaria is nice may not be that helpful for someone who has not been before. I assume most are referring to the southern part along the Swiss/Austrian borders, but who knows?

Brian my memory is terrible that is why I'm very vague ;-) I know the main places like Fussen in Bavaria ! but its impossible for me unless I sit and write every place down as we visit it!! I think men are better at this well mine is (lol) , but I think heading for an area you pass through fantastic scenery and it is all about the journey isn't it ? dont they say its better to travel well than arrive ? ;-)

But, "they" say all kinds of strange things, Maggy! :-) For us, scenery is merely what happens along the way, not a reason for the trip. We enjoy it when it is enjoyable, but not all areas that are of interest to us are necessarily scenically appealing. I wasn't expecting a travel log, I just thought that as Bavaria is so large it might be helpful to the OP to give him a more of a clue as to which parts of Bavaria had appealed to you, and why.

Been to quite a few areas of Germany never found an area we did not like it's such a big country with diverse countryside. On balance I think we prefer the old East Germany more relaxing and made to feel more welcome they are always pleased to see tourists.

If you like walking, cycling & castles start off on the Moselle then head down the the Rhine and do the "Romantic Road" where you will end up in southern Bavaria, then you could come back up the eastern side.

As a tourist destination Germany is grossly underrated, after France next best Motorhome heaven.

Brian Kirby - 2014-02-26 4:48 PM

But, "they" say all kinds of strange things, Maggy! :-) For us, scenery is merely what happens along the way, not a reason for the trip. We enjoy it when it is enjoyable, but not all areas that are of interest to us are necessarily scenically appealing. I wasn't expecting a travel log, I just thought that as Bavaria is so large it might be helpful to the OP to give him a more of a clue as to which parts of Bavaria had appealed to you, and why.

If you go on Google maps and enter Fussen, Berchtesgaden Konstanz you can see the breathtaking scenery :-D for me it beats any other places we have ever been, in fact it is so easy to find out what places of interest you fancy going to just sitting in your armchair.

What the O.P needs to do is work out on the map how many miles he wants to go in the amount of time allotted and see for himself rather than us telling him what WE like it could be completely different to what he wants. >:-) Right

We have enjoyed our many trips to Germany. Leeds based so usually go from Hull. The Newcastle - Ijmuiden ferry is good for north or east Germany.

Try the German Tourist Board for information on your interests.

http://www.germany.travel/en/index.html

Last year I asked them about campsites in Eastern Germany and they sent me a book listing lots of sites. No charge for the excellent book.

If heading in the Rhine direction we usually have a few days in the Eifel Region.

We did our first trip to East Germany last year and really enjoyed it. In the summer time it is much less busy than the Rhine and Black Forest areas.

AliB - 2014-02-27 9:37 AM

We have enjoyed our many trips to Germany. Leeds based so usually go from Hull. The Newcastle - Ijmuiden ferry is good for north or east Germany.

Try the German Tourist Board for information on your interests.

http://www.germany.travel/en/index.html

Last year I asked them about campsites in Eastern Germany and they sent me a book listing lots of sites. No charge for the excellent book.

If heading in the Rhine direction we usually have a few days in the Eifel Region.

We did our first trip to East Germany last year and really enjoyed it. In the summer time it is much less busy than the Rhine and Black Forest areas.

What does it cost you to go from Hull Ali? is it an overnighter like Newcastle? we have been from N/Castle when we went to buy a car in Holland, but now with the dogs we go from Folkston :-D and you are much nearer than us for that.

maggyd - 2014-02-27 12:16 PM

What does it cost you to go from Hull Ali? is it an overnighter like Newcastle? we have been from N/Castle when we went to buy a car in Holland, but now with the dogs we go from Folkston :-D and you are much nearer than us for that.

We prefer Hull to Rotterdam rather than Zeebrugge as we find the route through Holland faster than Belgium.

The Rotterdam ferry leaves Hull at 8:30 every evening and arrives in Holland at about 8:30 the next morning.

You can board the boat anytime after 3:00pm and eat in the restaurant from 6:30pm.

We usually have a meal in Hull before boarding the boat.

Prices depends on the time of year etc. Our rather large, 7.4 metres, beast with 3 people in a cabin costs over £500. We usually book with the Caravan Club which gives a discount.

http://www.poferries.com/tourist/content/pages/template/routes_hull_-_rotterdam_routes_-_hull_-_rotterdam.htm;jsessionid=9EFB87314E14297A367EE4B0BC234898.tomcattourist2?TYPE=aff

The Newcastle ferry is a similar price but as it leaves at 5:00pm so you can have meal onboard while sailing.

Leeds to Hull 80 miles, Leeds to Newcastle 100 miles. So not much difference in driving time. Hence we favour the Newcastle ferry. Although being brought up on Tyneside it saddens me to see the demise of the docks and shipyards. They have built fancy flats on the old Smiths Dock site.

Brian Kirby - 2014-02-26 4:48 PM

I missed out the Well bit Brian

It is better to travel well than to arrive.

Buddha

AliB - 2014-02-27 12:53 PM

maggyd - 2014-02-27 12:16 PM

We prefer Hull to Rotterdam rather than Zeebrugge as we find the route through Holland faster than Belgium.

The Rotterdam ferry leaves Hull at 8:30 every evening and arrives in Holland at about 8:30 the next morning.

You can board the boat anytime after 3:00pm and eat in the restaurant from 6:30pm.

We usually have a meal in Hull before boarding the boat.

Prices depends on the time of year etc. Our rather large, 7.4 metres, beast with 3 people in a cabin costs over £500. We usually book with the Caravan Club which gives a discount.

http://www.poferries.com/tourist/content/pages/template/routes_hull_-_rotterdam_routes_-_hull_-_rotterdam.htm;jsessionid=9EFB87314E14297A367EE4B0BC234898.tomcattourist2?TYPE=aff

The Newcastle ferry is a similar price but as it leaves at 5:00pm so you can have meal onboard while sailing.

Leeds to Hull 80 miles, Leeds to Newcastle 100 miles. So not much difference in driving time. Hence we favour the Newcastle ferry. Although being brought up on Tyneside it saddens me to see the demise of the docks and shipyards. They have built fancy flats on the old Smiths Dock site.

Thanks for the info Ali :-D as we have dogs it causes us a problem they wouldnt take kindly being locked up in a cage all night

My Dad was born in Newcastle but had to move further South to Billingham for work.

My suggestion, Rhine valley between Rudesheim and Koblenz, Moselle valley from Luxembourg to river Rhine, and /or Romantische Strasse, from Wurtzburg to Fussen.

Could also include Neckar river valley, outbound via belgium luxumbourg..plenty of aires/stellplatze and cross into Austria Innsbruck at bottom of Romantic road, Fussen.

been there, done that,.6 weeks trip 3 years ago.

tonyg3nwl

Ferries: Hull to Holland or Zebrugge is a nice relaxed way to start your holiday but your MH fridge has to survive overnight on the car deck and climbing out of that top bunk in the cabin to have a piddle was murder, so we now drive from Lancashire to Dover for an evening (cheap) ferry and spend the first night on the marina Aire in Calais, where there is always pently of room and it's quiet, then we're ready for an early start the following morning.

A day's drive heading for Germany via Belgium and Luxembourg (cheap fuel) takes us to Mettlach (just beyond Luxembourg) where there is a decent Stelplatz by the river and near a supermarket. It's a pretty town which has a Factory Shop for Villeroy Boch crockery so we come back that way to load up there too. Any easy second day's drive gets you into the Mosel Valley.

The Mosel is very motorhome friendly with lots of Stelplatz along the river bank, so just wander and take your pick. There are campsites too if you need more than just water. Lots of castles, very scenic, very enjoyable. Less experience of the Rhine but there are lots of cheap and scenic ferries as well as bridges across the river and you will easily find parking and overnight stops if you look. We steer clear of big cities so I don't know about parking there but you can certainly park at "The Corner of Germany" where Mosel joins the Rhine and there is a huge equine statue (rebuilt ater the Americans blew it up) and some splendid views.

We've done Bavaria and Berchtesgadenland, which was fabulous.

Archived