Caravan Club insurance

rgh999

Just wanted to ensure members were aware that the Caravan Club policy is to charge £30 to cancel your policy early.

My last years policy was £140, ending April 30th, but as I have sold the van and will not be getting a new one for a few months decided to cancel the policy . Insurance company would have given me £25 refund for the unused two months, but the Caravan Club grabbed their fee for doing very little I imagine and I ended up paying them a fiver.

I expected cancellation fees but thought they would be on a pro rata basis. I was advised that if I let it run out and the new owner insured the van there would be two policies in existence and I would be liable for an £80 fine. Lesser of two evils I suppose.

rgh999 - 2014-02-25 3:09 PM

I expected cancellation fees but thought they would be on a pro rata basis. I was advised that if I let it run out and the new owner insured the van there would be two policies in existence and I would be liable for an £80 fine. Lesser of two evils I suppose.

That sounds very odd - how would you make an insurance claim relating to a vehicle that you did not own?

Derek Uzzell - 2014-02-25 5:50 PM

That sounds very odd - how would you make an insurance claim relating to a vehicle that you did not own?

Derek I have read recently, can't remember where, of a seller had not cancelled their insurance.The buyer did not insure vehicle and had a collision. The seller lost their NCD as a result of the injured party being able to make a claim as insurance policy was still in force for vehicle.

(Can't remember = old age)

Eddie

I had an issue when I sold my Van in 2011 with a few weeks to go on insurance. Refund would have been about £10 but insurer wanted £25 to cancel so I said "don't bother. They argued that vehicle would be "double insured" which would cause problems but since I did not own the vehicle and therefore had no interest to insure I told them to take no action. So far as i am aware this worked.

Guest JudgeMental

I just changed vans and Safeguard just transferred new van with no extra charge. renewal is due in March. every year I look around for cheaper, but I had a claim back in 2010 which went very smoothly and have never had a comparable cheaper quote yet..quite the opposite in fact. It dont help that we live in London....

another thing is if considering self importing a van, Safeguard insure vans temporally on their VIN number..I dont thing all do.

Archived