MOTORHOME INSURANCE - RECENT INCREASES?

DAVLINS

Would like to hear of recent experiences of members recently renewing their motorhome insurance. I have historically insured my vehicle ( 2005 Swift Kontiki 610) with Saga . I have found them to be far and away the most competitive and offering superb value for money . Traditionally I have paid around the £130-£140 mark and on the 21st Jan 2014 was quoted £141 ( my wife was quoted £136 and she has had a claim in the past 5 years - couldn't work that one out). I was harangued by Saga staff to take out the policy there and then as they could not guarantee the quote beyond 24 hours). Today I phoned up to take out the policy and it had gone up to £189!! I was really miffed so then did the rounds with Caravan Club, Safeguard, Comfort and all the usual price comparison sites. The cheapest quote I got was Adrian Flux at £215 ( with legal protection) - the most expensive was the Caravan Club at £267 - although they do fling in added extras like Legal Protection / Breakdown cover etc as standard.

Asked Comfort for a price on the new van we are getting van it's worth nearly 30k more than current one and was told no extra to pay and at renewal would be slightly cheaper.

With Saga ask to speak customer services tell then you were quoted 141 and that' s what you want to pay they have more leeway than the normal telephone agents.

DAVLINS - 2014-02-25 11:50 PM

Would like to hear of recent experiences of members recently renewing their motorhome insurance. I have historically insured my vehicle ( 2005 Swift Kontiki 610) with Saga . I have found them to be far and away the most competitive and offering superb value for money . Traditionally I have paid around the £130-£140 mark and on the 21st Jan 2014 was quoted £141 ( my wife was quoted £136 and she has had a claim in the past 5 years - couldn't work that one out). I was harangued by Saga staff to take out the policy there and then as they could not guarantee the quote beyond 24 hours). Today I phoned up to take out the policy and it had gone up to £189!! I was really miffed so then did the rounds with Caravan Club, Safeguard, Comfort and all the usual price comparison sites. The cheapest quote I got was Adrian Flux at £215 ( with legal protection) - the most expensive was the Caravan Club at £267 - although they do fling in added extras like Legal Protection / Breakdown cover etc as standard.

You say Saga was superb value for money but did you ever have to make a claim? That's the problem with buying insurance....you don't know whether it's good value until you make a claim in which case the odd fifty pounds you save on the premium might be small in comparison with difficulties with the insurer. I don't have an answer but I couldn't have asked for better service from the CC when my van was stolen so I will stick with them.

Pleasantly suprised to find our insurance £17.00 more this year than last. Happy with Safeguard.

Did have a claim with Caravan Guard a few years ago, and they where very good, but trying them this year £300, more than Safeguard. But always worth trying a comparative quote

PJay

Goodness, I have a Kontiki 660, 2005 and I am over £300. Are we talking same coverage as I also have eurpean breakdown and full European use. Mileage based on 6000 and value of about £25k and myself being 69 with clean licence. Difference is considerable so will need to look around as renewal due shortly.

Insurance costs vary greatly for so many factors so what I pay for my cover will not apply to anyone else.

However, for the last 12 years I have always found CCC to be the cheapest for the cover I require up to 15000 miles. I wondered last year whether there would be a large rise in cost because of horrendous tales on this forum about huge increases in insurance premiums. No !

This year, with the same value on the van as last year, the price was exactly the same, down to the pence!

In connection with another thread, CCC insurance will provide me with a Green card valid for a month in Bosnia for £30.

We are with Caravan club, probably not the cheapest but they DO cover countries like Croatia, Bosnia, Montenegro, Macedonia etc which for us is important and incidentally our renewal a couple of weeks ago was £10 less than last year.

sshortcircuit - 2014-02-26 12:04 PM

Goodness, I have a Kontiki 660, 2005 and I am over £300. Are we talking same coverage as I also have eurpean breakdown and full European use. Mileage based on 6000 and value of about £25k and myself being 69 with clean licence. Difference is considerable so will need to look around as renewal due shortly.

We have a 6mtr van, full breakdown cover, both over 75. Cost £340. Caravan Guard wanted nearly £600. for the same cover, not kept at home but on a Gold Cassoa site 2006 van same value and 7000 mileage

Which thought not bad, as premiums get higher as you and van get older.

Premiums also go on the area you live, though how they work that out I don't know

PJay

PJay - 2014-02-27 7:01 PM

sshortcircuit - 2014-02-26 12:04 PM

We have a 6mtr van, full breakdown cover, both over 75. Cost £340. Caravan Guard wanted nearly £600. for the same cover, not kept at home but on a Gold Cassoa site 2006 van same value and 7000 mileage

Which thought not bad, as premiums get higher as you and van get older.

Premiums also go on the area you live, though how they work that out I don't know

PJay

interesting indeed. Which company are you insured with ? Re relevant factors of age and age of van -I have found that out to my cost. I am 65, and have 20+ years no claims bonus. My wife is 56 has 10 years no claims bonus although she had a no fault accident in 2010. She can insure our van for £40 less premium. As for older age of van increasing premiums I cant work that one out - can you ?

Archived