"No motorhomes" restictions V Blue Badge

geoff

Be aware that some councils will only permit badgeholders to park without charge,in on or off street P&D bays,only if they have a VED exemption. Some authorities will do their utmost to prevent motorhomes,of any size, to park in their areas,the main protagonists are Whitby and Scarborough and North Yorks moors. This is particularly annoying as my aunt lived just outside Whitby..

RogerC - 2014-02-27 1:53 PM
Barryd999 - 2014-02-27 9:38 AM
derek pringle - 2014-02-27 9:01 AMHi Geoff, As a Blue Badge holder I take this as an aid to my parking to help me gain access to places without the need to walk long distances. I certainly would not like to look at it as a way of staying in a place without payment for say overnight.{as your post infers without time limit} A motorhome is for enjoyment and holidays and people should pay as anybody else, whilst they are using the van for this purpose. This is why we do not wildcamp and before the brigade of ' we do not wildcamp to save money' come on board I believe if position was reversed and sites were free, these people would love sites.I shall now put the kettle on and wait for the explosion.cheersderek
No explosion but I can assure you even if campsites paid me to stay there I would still avoid them like the plague. It IS nothing to do with the cost although it beggers belief why some people would pay £30 and upwards to park a motorhome. I just hate them, the people that frequent them and the whole ethos of staying on a regulated site full of rules and regs.Back on topic. If it states no time limit for Badge holders then thats what it means. Stay as long as you want.

Very strong there Barry..........what gives rise to 'hating' people you have never met or spoken to or communicated with?

Good point RogerIf Barry actually " hates " so many of us on this forum ( possibly the majority ) it does make me wonder why he has remained a member for so long. (?)

As I have been put in contact with a good source of information - thank you Petra - and because this thread has degenerated into a typical personalities clash I shall no longer be following this thread.

Its about time you lot grew up, you're no longer in the playground !

Geoff..

I'm not quite sure which part of this thread has got you in such a tizzy...?

eg Quote:

Get off your high horses on this point !

"'Tis better to shut thy gob and look foolish than to open it and prove that you are !""

Its about time you lot grew up, you're no longer in the playground !

etc...

You appeared to have started a thread in order to find ways of using a Blue badge as a "loop hole"(possibly to enable "overnighting"?)...and then, when someone questioned that usage, you chose to react with the above comments... :-S

( and on that basis: "Physician, heal thyself", would spring to mind... (lol) )

Judging by your initial posts, it does not sound as if you are a blue badge holder, who is just having trouble parking...?..if however this is indeed the case, then I'm sorry but you have not made it very clear..:-S

My wife is Disabled and has a Blue Badge (the orange badges were discontinued a couple of years ago, they are NOT for life, you have to Re-apply every 3 years). We have a Small Car which we purchased (it's not a 'Motability' car) but the Road Tax is paid for. (VED free). Our Motorhome is an Autotrail at 7.6 m. So, even with her Blue Badge (the M/H is NOT ved free) we cannot just park where we like, Even with just the car, many Councils now charge Blue Badge Holders to park, although most give an extra hour onto the ticket time, but less and less are 'Free'. Of course we could exercise her 'Right' to park for free on single yellow lines, or even Double yellow lines in some areas, but we don't,

especially in the M/H. !! IF, we were to go to a car park that said 'No motorhomes' and my wife NEEDED to stop, then I would park there. Using the Blue Badge as a reason to disobey the notice, I would probably stay with the vanthough, to argue the point with the Warden. Why should we be penalised because of the type of vehicle we drive ?? Ray

The only 'Local' parking laws in which the 'Standard Disabled parking Instructions' do not apply are in certain areas of Central London. Otherwise how would a Disabled driver know what to do ?

derek pringle - 2014-02-27 9:01 AM

Hi Geoff,

As a Blue Badge holder I take this as an aid to my parking to help me gain access to places without the need to walk long distances. I certainly would not like to look at it as a way of staying in a place without payment for say overnight.{as your post infers without time limit} A motorhome is for enjoyment and holidays and people should pay as anybody else, whilst they are using the van for this purpose. This is why we do not wildcamp and before the brigade of ' we do not wildcamp to save money' come on board I believe if position was reversed and sites were free, these people would love sites.

I shall now put the kettle on and wait for the explosion.

cheers

derek

We do NOT like sites, free or otherwise! We collected some vouchers from a newspaper last year which meant it cost the equivalent of £1 a night to stay on a campsite and be able to use the facilities. We did this for 3 nights but even though we had another night for £1 we chose not to stay as we just did not like being in the 'goldfish bowl'. We use aires when abroad and although there are many MHs on them, we don't have the same 'feeling' of being 'watched'. So, even if the sites were free, we would still chose NOT to use them therefore the cost does NOT come into it, so you can believe what you wish, but I can tell you in our case you are wrong. :-S

mikejkay - 2014-02-27 2:36 PM

Rather than " put the kettle on and wait for the explosion" think before you write. To make the bald statement that "A motorhome is for enjoyment and holidays" is incorrect. There are threads on this and other forums about the use of MHs as an only vehicle. To say that if "sites were free, these people would love sites" is equally incorrect. I for one have no desire whatsoever to park in a row of MHs or even in a field full of MHs, paricularly if the other MH owners are like you Derek. Enjoy your Blue Badge and leave others to fight it out with the little grey men from the Council.

Mikejay,

I believe I made a valid point . Not many people would think a motorhome is not for enjoyment and holidays otherwise I for one would not have one. Of course they can be used as an only vehicle but for everyday car usage most of the motorhome attributes are not needed. Don't you ever park in a row of motorhomes when ' wildcamping ' or on aires whatever it is you do.

When you say' MH owners like me' I believe I behave more in the mainstream than people like you.

If the poster was trying to fight the little grey men on the council on behalf of ALL motorhome / car/ tax disc holders then great, I would totally support this.

cheers

derek

Mel B - 2014-02-28 11:08 PM

derek pringle - 2014-02-27 9:01 AM

Hi Geoff,

As a Blue Badge holder I take this as an aid to my parking to help me gain access to places without the need to walk long distances. I certainly would not like to look at it as a way of staying in a place without payment for say overnight.{as your post infers without time limit} A motorhome is for enjoyment and holidays and people should pay as anybody else, whilst they are using the van for this purpose. This is why we do not wildcamp and before the brigade of ' we do not wildcamp to save money' come on board I believe if position was reversed and sites were free, these people would love sites.

I shall now put the kettle on and wait for the explosion.

cheers

derek

We do NOT like sites, free or otherwise! We collected some vouchers from a newspaper last year which meant it cost the equivalent of £1 a night to stay on a campsite and be able to use the facilities. We did this for 3 nights but even though we had another night for £1 we chose not to stay as we just did not like being in the 'goldfish bowl'. We use aires when abroad and although there are many MHs on them, we don't have the same 'feeling' of being 'watched'. So, even if the sites were free, we would still chose NOT to use them therefore the cost does NOT come into it, so you can believe what you wish, but I can tell you in our case you are wrong. :-S

Mel,

Let me say first that my wife and I have stayed on Aires and like sites there are some good and bad.

Forgive me but when we have stayed on aires we have had to pay and we have been parked alongside other vans, sometimes a little too closely. You seem to have had a bad experience on your £1 a night site but what I have seen of the sites on offer in these papers seem to be the larger 'hi-de-hi' type of site.

You can pick sites with whatever requirement you personally desire. I like nothing more than being pitched alongside a lake or pond fishing with the furniture /bbq/and awning out- not sure you are supposed to do this on aires or wildcamping. I did not mean to offend but find it hard to believe anybody would be so closed in mind to say NEVER go on sites. The first thing comes to my mind is what do you do in this motorhome unfriendly country of ours? not many aires here is there. Let me repeat I have no issue with aires, or wildcamping there is a place for all and variety is the spice of life as they say.

I do believe even people who do not like large commercial sites would not find it attractive in a small vineyard or orchard site for instance. NEVER is such a big word for so few letters Mel, I wish you happy holidays whatever your choice.

cheers

derek

I did not say that MHs were not for enjoyment and holidays. Perhaps I am being pedantic bit it is the unqualified statement that "A motorhome is for enjoyment and holidays" that I object to. The statement may not be what you meant but as it stands it is incorrect.

And, no, I do not park in a row of MHs, certainly not overnight. I make an effort to find somewhere where there are no other MHs. That is not to say that on awakening in the morning I have not found myself in the company of other MHs which have mysteriously appeared overnight.

And, yes, you probably behave more in the mainstream than people like me. I find it interesting (a nd rather sad) that this thread reveals a polarisation of views regarding so called "wild camping" with offensive and derogatory references to so called "freeloaders". How a wild camper can be called a freeloader is beyond me. I have paid taxes, including the farcical road fund licence, all my working life. In my view the roads belong to the tax paying general public, even the ones who park large commercial vans and lorries outside their homes.

I think a large part of this "problem" is due to the congested nature of England. I rarely use my MH to "wild camp" in England simply because of the problems (largely with the little grey men). However, for the last 20 years I have "wildcamped" in France and for the last two years I have spent 8 weeks at a time in Ireland. Not one night on a campsite or aire and not once has anyone objected to my presence. This year poor old Scotland will suffer the depradations of a vile "wild camper" and a sassenach one to boot!

I often phone the coucil highway dept before going away to get the rundown on parking, always found them very helpful, never come across a jobsworth yet on the phone. more than I can say for traffic wardens.

here is two scenarios i have had.

1] paked in a bay behind a minibus in surrey, as i was locking up noticed a note in the minibus window asking for space to be left for wheelchair users. so reversed back a little to get space then got a ticket. TW was not at all helpful, wrote in and ticket cancelled.

2] parked up during night outside a hospital in London knew BB could park on bays there thought i was ok done so there many times taking sick person to hospital. Anyway daylight came and at 8am when restricions came saw TW looking at my vehicle [we were sat in front seats] thought no more of it, then she put a ticket on the window and took a photo. never knocked on window to speak or ask to move. apparently about 10 yds away the time plate was covered suspending the parking but no cones, never saw this as parked in darkness, wrote to council had to pay up, they coud not grasp the situation.

mikejkay - 2014-03-01 1:17 PM

I did not say that MHs were not for enjoyment and holidays. Perhaps I am being pedantic bit it is the unqualified statement that "A motorhome is for enjoyment and holidays" that I object to. The statement may not be what you meant but as it stands it is incorrect.

And, no, I do not park in a row of MHs, certainly not overnight. I make an effort to find somewhere where there are no other MHs. That is not to say that on awakening in the morning I have not found myself in the company of other MHs which have mysteriously appeared overnight.

And, yes, you probably behave more in the mainstream than people like me. I find it interesting (a nd rather sad) that this thread reveals a polarisation of views regarding so called "wild camping" with offensive and derogatory references to so called "freeloaders". How a wild camper can be called a freeloader is beyond me. I have paid taxes, including the farcical road fund licence, all my working life. In my view the roads belong to the tax paying general public, even the ones who park large commercial vans and lorries outside their homes.

I think a large part of this "problem" is due to the congested nature of England. I rarely use my MH to "wild camp" in England simply because of the problems (largely with the little grey men). However, for the last 20 years I have "wildcamped" in France and for the last two years I have spent 8 weeks at a time in Ireland. Not one night on a campsite or aire and not once has anyone objected to my presence. This year poor old Scotland will suffer the depradations of a vile "wild camper" and a sassenach one to boot!

Mike,

I really do not wish to get in to an argument with you , but could you please tell me what you think the purpose of a Motorhome is, I believe they seem to be sold on the basis of enjoyment and holidays and such. If I have worded it wrongly I apologize but I think most people will get my meaning.

cheers

derek

Derek

..I think it was probably your reference to the "wild camping brigade" , that stirred some up, as much as anything... ;-)

Although not really aimed at this thread(as this seemed to be about seeking a blue badge "loop hole"?) but it has always perplexed me how, some folk seem to buy 6-7-8mr long, 3.5-4t+ vehicles..and are then shocked and appalled that they can't park them when and where they want, as they would if they were a family hatchback....? :-S

I know?..who would've thought they'd be so awkward to park, eh?... (lol)

Hi Pepe,

Maybe you are right, I probably on reflection should have spoke in different terms, but when individuals say they would NEVER park on a site and indeed for someone to say he actually hates people who use sites, it does seem to polarise a bit. I believe there is room for some site parking some aire parking and some wildcamping in proper situations and places.

We have had postings on here where people have spoke about van users staying on aires and leaving by a certain time in the morning BEFORE the operative comes to collect the pittance that an aire costs.

However, this was not the sentiments of Geoff the O.P. and I apologize for partially hi-jacking his thread.

My original comment that Blue Badges IMO are for maybe a different principle than he is suggesting stands.

cheers

derek

Derek

A MH is a vehicle, as simple as that. How individuals choose to use their vehicle is up to them. I chose my MH on the basis of my personal requirements and use it for daily mundane tasks as well as, but not exclusively for, "enjoyment and holidays". As I have said I may be being pedantic but I inferred from your statement that you felt that a MH should not be used for anything other than "enjoyment and holidays". If lorries and large vans can park in the street then I can see no reason why I should not do so. I would point out that my MH is parked off road when it is not in use. One reason why I use my MH as a general purpose vehicle is that I think that it is not particularly environmentally friendly to have both a car and a MH.

mikejkay - 2014-03-02 1:32 PM

Derek

A MH is a vehicle, as simple as that. How individuals choose to use their vehicle is up to them. I chose my MH on the basis of my personal requirements and use it for daily mundane tasks as well as, but not exclusively for, "enjoyment and holidays". As I have said I may be being pedantic but I inferred from your statement that you felt that a MH should not be used for anything other than "enjoyment and holidays". If lorries and large vans can park in the street then I can see no reason why I should not do so. I would point out that my MH is parked off road when it is not in use. One reason why I use my MH as a general purpose vehicle is that I think that it is not particularly environmentally friendly to have both a car and a MH.

Hi Mike,

Seems like we have been slightly at cross purposes. I did not intend that motorhomes should only be used for hols and such but for any other use you would probably not need a motorhome as maybe a car would do. When away in our motorhome for holiday purposes I certainly do not mind paying whatever to stay where I choose to park.

good luck

cheers

derek

why should Blue Badge holders have free parking? I agree that the disabled spaces should be left for them, for ease of access, but why should they have free parking?

our local council have recently relaid our car parks, and made a lot more disabled parking, so much so that it can be difficult for others to park. YET they still park on the yellow lines, causing problems due to narrow roads. Look in the car parks and the most disabled places are empty.

What does annoy me is to see someone get out of a car with blue badge, and almost run .

I do think that in some caes (not all) the badge system is abused.

PJay

PJay - 2014-03-03 10:09 AM

why should Blue Badge holders have free parking? I agree that the disabled spaces should be left for them, for ease of access, but why should they have free parking?

our local council have recently relaid our car parks, and made a lot more disabled parking, so much so that it can be difficult for others to park. YET they still park on the yellow lines, causing problems due to narrow roads. Look in the car parks and the most disabled places are empty.

What does annoy me is to see someone get out of a car with blue badge, and almost run .

I do think that in some caes (not all) the badge system is abused.

PJay[/quote

The decision on whether the parking is' Free' lays with your local Council, Ours is not, we get an extra hour on posted time, thats all. When I get out of our Car I can run, because it's not ME who is disabled, it's my wife, who is sat in the passenger seat. I am the designated Driver, as my wife cannot drive. SO don't be so quick to judge others. And no, when my wife is not in the car, I don't park in Disabled slots.

Also the Blue Badge is not 'easy to get' as it probably once was, your Doctor has to sign a legally binding Form, and you have to be in receipt of the 'Mobility part' of the Disability Living allowance, soon to be 'PIP' for those under 65.

As I have said more and more Councils are charging for Disabled parking, so, expect more Disabled people to park on Yellow lines, as they are allowed to, in the future.

Ray

Today my wife has to go for medical assessment for blue badge,we need it because at 76 and chronic arthritis she cannot walk unaided for more than a few yards,we don't require free parking,just the convenience of getting closer to supermarkets entrance etc.at moment I unload her near entrance,but you would be amassed how many irate drivers scream and blow horns in those few seconds,I then park(car) usually 200yrds.away and repeat again on exit. The badge,as stated,is hard to get now,will post. Result of application.

Archived