electrics

buck111

i have a bessacarr 410 motorhome.it is a 2010 model.my problem is when i press the electronic spark on my cooker to light it the water tank buzzer comes on,and a light flashes warning me the tanks need topping up even though they are full.i have just found out something is draining my leisure battery very slowly.could this be the cause,or has anyone any ideas what it.

A battery will gradually lose its charge without any drain being placed on it, so it depends on how slowly your "very slowly" really is as to whether this can be considered 'normal' or a fault. If it's a fault, guesswork is unlikely to identify it and it will be necessary to do some hands-on trouble-shooting (removing fuses to check if the drain stops, etc.) to find out what's wrong. Have you any idea how old the battery is? If it's 2010 vintage it could be on the way out.

One would not expect lighting the cooker to have a knock-on effect on a water-tank warning system, so plainly something peculiar is happening. Again guesswork won't be productive, though it might be practicable to decide where the problem might lie if a wiring-diagram were available. It could, of course, have something to with your battery discharging, or it might be coincidental.

I believe you have owned this motorhome for just a few months. Is there no warranty relating to it?

As a quick check look behind cupboards, drawers etc. to see if a wire has become frayed, and do a visual inspection of the connections, probably under the seat. MH's are a cottage industry really with old fashioned wiring and connectors, unlike the main chassis bit which is now very high tech.

Eventually you may need to do a multi-meter check, but it could be simple.

Good luck.

lennyhb - 2014-02-28 10:26 AM

Another possibility is a bad earth on the hob or igniter causing high voltage spikes on the earth cable which could make the control panel go haywire.

I have the same issue on a Swift Sundance 530LP and I have put the issue down to the above as it doesn't always manifest itself.

I haven't had time to investigate in any detail when the issue is present but did find on one site that moving the EHU to another socket on the stand reduced the frequency of it happening.

Archived