gas regulators

Pete

I have read an item about 2004 onwards fixed regulators and problems with a build-up of deposits on the diaphram causing them to stop working. The advice was that it was aknown problem and dealers would replace regulators affected. I wondered how widespread the problem is. We are about to leave for an extended trip to europe and wonder if I should be taking a spare with me. Any thoughts or comments please?

Seems to be a widespread problem. Read somewhere recently that it is more common where the regulator is below the top of the cylinder's outlet. Could account for some reporting multiple failures and others having no problems. Could also account why its only been a problem since a fixed regulator was specified as the on cylinder ones were always located above. Doubt if the technologly of the regulators has changed, so it seems to add up. I would put one of my old regulators [cylinder mounting; appropriate type of course] in my "usefull box" together with hose and clips to be able to revert to the earlier design.

Should have realised that now the pressure is 30mBar. My old regulator was German and was 30mBar but if your old regulators are UK they will be 28 and 37 mBar Butane and Propane respectively. Would not be at all wise to use the old UK propane regulator on the new system as the pressure is too high. Feel that using a 28 mBar Butane one is safe to limp home though the burner performane will be a bit down.

Hi Pete, a friend had his bulkhead mounted reg pack up at Malvern. his (temporary) solution was to purchase a cylinder mounted 37 mbar reg, length of hose and a fitting to connect it to the 'vans system instead of the 30 mbar reg. Not only did this solve the problem for the weekend but his dearly beloved found the oven could now be used on settings lower than 9! It would appear that Propane at 30 mbar doesn't provide enough heat in the "stoves" type of cooker. I wonder what other appliances perform significantly better at 37 mbar than they do at 30 mbar? D.

Guest starspirit
That's a good point Dave. I have noticed that a kettle of water seems to take a lot longer to boil with the new '30' regulator than it used to on the old '37' on propane. Or is it just my imagination? Progress eh? I too carry an old regulator and hose and fittings!

Thanks for the input chaps. Looks like i'm carrying my old regulators and pipe. Just another thought, my system is actually 2 gaslows. If, as I understand it, the contaminant is in the gas, do you reckon my bottles will be permently contaminated as they will never be changed??

Archived