Hymer Exsis i 504

Guest davidroxburgh

Guest davidroxburgh

We have a Burstner Ixeo Time IT 585 - our first motorhome and have been delighted with it.

We are contemplating the Hymer Exsis particularly the 504 and would love to hear from other existing owners, and if they are within reasonable reach of Hove would like the chance to talk about the model/range.

I am not sure quite how you contact someone directly but if anyone is so willing, no doubt even a newbie can find out how it is done.

Thanks for any help.

Guest pelmetman

Dumb question time ;-)..................

"We have a Burstner Ixeo Time IT 585 - our first motorhome and have been delighted with it."

So why change? :-S...................

Guest davidroxburgh

I thought the object of these forums was to share experience knowledge and so forth.

Your approach is interesting.

davidroxburgh - 2014-03-01 9:01 PM

I thought the object of these forums was to share experience knowledge and so forth.

You sound like you'll fit in very well here - enjoy!

And good luck. :D

Guest pelmetman

My view is experience is more useful than knowledge ;-)..............do you buy motorhomes for the sake of buying motorhomes?.................or do you buy motorhomes to motorhome? :-| ................

Therein lies the answer ;-)......................

Guest JudgeMental

I fear you are setting yourself up for some initial disappointed!..as its a bit like a poor school on here, with mucho ribbing and bullying.....but we usually get there in the end :-D

Hi David, I'm just along the road in Lancing. I have a Exsis i678 on order and I'm fairly knowledgeable about the range. You are welcome to PM me.

Edit:

Click on the PM button on the left you can then send a private message.

David A, I had you down as a man of wisdom which is a mix of experience and knowledge. Should I change my perception?

David R, we crawled all over the Exsis i several times last year and in the end, plumped for a 504 B Class [no longer imported]. We liked the Exsis's big drawers in the kitchen, didn't like the different floor heights, and we don't like high ovens.

The 504 B Class we bought was the last in the country and if we hadn't bagged it, we would have bought the Exsis. The 504 B Class is about 30cm shorter at 5.98m because it has a narrower rear bed, thus the garage is smaller, but our van is wider than the Exsis at 2.34m. We thought the Exsis had better internal storage although we've not had any trouble storing items in ours, and the Exsis has a longer wheelbase. We have struggled to get the quality of ride right in our B Class and we've had a few niggling build quality issues. All sorted now.

Ask the dealer about the axle loadings and the suspension. Had I known mine had beefed up front suspension, I would have saved myself a lot of time trying to solve the ride issue.

With the Exsis, you will get really comfortable beds [check the weight limit on the drop down and whether the bed is suitable for those who will sleep in it]. My missus has a bad back and sleeps in the rear bed. Make sure you can use the shower. My missus complains that her pointy bits get in the way when using the swing door [can't remember if the Exsis has one].

Wing mirrors are better on the Exsis. Mine has the coach mirrors and these took some familiarisation.

The living area is compact and we find three people more than enough. Works fine with 2 people providing you use a cab seat. Fabrics are a bit wishy washy so we've added colourful throws.

It won't come with a spare wheel. Plenty of discussion about vans coming without a spare on the various forums.

Ours came with cruise control and the comfortmatic gearbox - it was existing stock. Wouldn't have specced either but I do like them and now glad I have them!

We like ours. Probably the closest match we've ever had to our needs. I think you'll need to work out if you can enjoy the tight living space.

Lenny knows his Hymers and has helped me out a few times. So has Brian Kirby, another experienced motorhomer who has an Exsis.

Guest pelmetman
Brock - 2014-03-02 12:20 PM

David A, I had you down as a man of wisdom which is a mix of experience and knowledge. Should I change my perception?

Never been accused of being wise before :D.................But I stand by my question to the OP, if he has a van that he's delighted with why change? :-S..............

Even though Hymer has a good reputation in general they're not perfect ;-)..............and I have some experience of the marque having driven one back from Spain, and had to carry out running repairs on the way 8-)..............

If anything I would say the build quality of older Hymers is superior to newer offerings :-|

davidroxburgh

This doesn't answer your inquiry for 'hands-on' feedback, but I note that there's a brief review of the Exsis-I 504 here

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/Motorhomes/Reviews/Motorhomes/Hymer-Exsis-i-504-motorhome-review/_ch1_rw1321_pg1

and that a fuller report was published in the May 2013 issue of "Which Motorhome". A digital back-copy of the magazine can be obtained via the pocketmags website, or a forum-member may be able to let you have the Hymer report itself.

Also a Youtube clip here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-GTGSpK75o.

Guest davidroxburgh

Thank you to all who posted such helpful prompt and positive replies.

I can now see more of vans in the range, and have gained from the practical advice I hoped for.

Such help was freely experienced in the 20 months and 17,000 odd miles of motorhoming done in the Burstner before I made this post.

If anyone wants feedback on the Ixeo Time IT585 send me a PM and I would be pleased to help.

To the solitary exception - Pelmetman - your own profile says your favourite song is "look on the bright side of life"! Interesting.

Guest pelmetman
davidroxburgh - 2014-03-03 9:47 AM

To the solitary exception - Pelmetman - your own profile says your favourite song is "look on the bright side of life"! Interesting.

Well it is a motorhome forum ;-)............you never did say why your changing a van that you are delighted with?...................hopefully you'll be delighted with the Exsis..............but changing vans can sometimes be a expensive disappointment :-|..........I believe even BK would agree his is not perfect ;-).....

But I guess I'd rather spend my winter in the sun.......than working to buy another van..........I'd call that looking on the bright side of life B-)........

David A, man of wisdom ...

You are right about Hymer quality. I had no troubles with my last one and a few niggling build issues with my new one. They are not perfect but they do have the advantage of being one of the best built that is regularly available in the UK. It helps that the brochures actually explain some of the build quality details.

I also agree your opening question about "why change" was sensible because it provides an opportunity to explore the reason for change which may guide the comments made about the Exsis i504. Wise men know what questions to pose.

Never underestimate wisdom. Used properly, it is so much more effective than just experience or expertise or both!

Guest davidroxburgh

I would have said wisdom is knowing what to say when to say it and HOW to say it!

No make is immune from problems, but you can only go on the quality you can see and the specs you can read and most of all - what interested me - how buyers actually find them.

The ability to reach people with an interest and in the numbers this site attracts, seemed to me a good reason to try a post.

davidroxburgh - 2014-03-03 1:49 PM

I would have said wisdom is knowing what to say when to say it and HOW to say it!

I think your definition should include when to say nothing at all.

On that basis, many of the longer threads on here demonstrate where wisdom is in short supply. :D

But to get back to the point, I too would like to know why someone has decided to take what is to many people a big step, changing away from a van you know and like using. Not to make any points, not to say "are you sure?", just out of curiosity. You might call it nosiness, I wouldn't argue. :-D

Regards,

Guest pelmetman
davidroxburgh - 2014-03-03 1:49 PM

I'd say that was called tact ;-)................and being tactless is one of my numerous faults :D.........

Wisdom according to Mr Wiki is..........."the quality of having experience, knowledge, and good judgement; the quality of being wise."

I never claim to have any ability apart from pelmet making and pouffe stuffing :D..........but I do have good taste when it comes to cheap wine, pork pies and old campers ;-)........

• 8 months later...
davidroxburgh - 2014-03-02 5:41 AM

We are contemplating the Hymer Exsis particularly the 504 and would love to hear from other existing owners...

Sorry to drag up this old thread, but the Exsis (the 504 or 414) is on our shortlist. I was wondering how you went and what you learnt? If that's not too much to ask.

The OP's name is in black, indicating he is no longer a member of this forum, so I don't think you'll be very lucky. I'd suggest you either start a new string asking what you wan to to know, or add your questions to this one. I might be helpful if you also say whether your are looking at new, or used, vans.

I have had a succession of vehicles including a Hymer 544 which was a superb vehicle. When it came to change we went for a different converter which did offer a choice of base,I was informed by 2 dealers that the base choice was no longer an option. I went for a an X350 base-big mistake! I then p/xed it for a Hymer Exsis 562 on a Transit,which I believe is not available.The vehicle is coming up to 5 years and is superb,its dimensions are slightly smaller than the current models. If its a Hymer you will be reassured that it will hold its value and has excellent build quality.

Brian Kirby - 2014-11-09 9:24 PM

The OP's name is in black, indicating he is no longer a member of this forum, so I don't think you'll be very lucky. I'd suggest you either start a new string asking what you wan to to know, or add your questions to this one. I might be helpful if you also say whether your are looking at new, or used, vans.

No worries... I was thinking of doing that anyhow :)

Archived