side panels for awning

Guest JudgeMental

Guest JudgeMental
thinking of side panels for awning on new van (omnistor) had considered a standalone awning for spanish trips, but more trouble than they are worth, and wind breaks on sides of awning will do us? any recommendations please. also how easy are they to attach..do you need steps? (I know I will need a new tie down kit)

Hi Judge - have a look at the Windblockers.

http://www.windblockers.net/

They are individual sections & very lightweight. Side Panel can be used on it's own or in-conjunction with a front panel (order to length of Awning) & 2nd side panel if required. Weight for 1 x side panels + 1 x 3.5m front panel = approx. 4kg. (a 2nd side panel would add another kg.) Packed size again is very small, so much more suitable for a PVC.

You will need (& can order) a telescopic pole for each side panel, The pole reaches to the Awning height so no need for steps, etc.. The design has changed since we bought ours, to give a better overlap between Side Panel & Front Panel.

The stop the wind but allow light through. Ours are now 6 years old & still in very good condition. They also now manufacture a van skirt to stop draught coming under the van.

n.b. One Side Panel will fit either side, so we use that for the windy side then the front panel with other side open.

flicka - 2014-03-01 8:03 PM

Hi Judge - have a look at the Windblockers.

http://www.windblockers.net/

They are individual sections & very lightweight. Side Panel can be used on it's own or in-conjunction with a front panel (order to length of Awning) & 2nd side panel if required. Weight for 1 x side panels + 1 x 3.5m front panel = approx. 4kg. (a 2nd side panel would add another kg.) Packed size again is very small, so much more suitable for a PVC.

You will need (& can order) a telescopic pole for each side panel, The pole reaches to the Awning height so no need for steps, etc.. The design has changed since we bought ours, to give a better overlap between Side Panel & Front Panel.

The stop the wind but allow light through. Ours are now 6 years old & still in very good condition. They also now manufacture a van skirt to stop draught coming under the van.

n.b. One Side Panel will fit either side, so we use that for the windy side then the front panel with other side open.

Judge

We got a Windblocker end panel and have not been too impressed with it after all the good reports we had read. It does stop the wind but tends to billow up like a kite in anything more than a light breeze. We wanted to use it as a sheltered sunny corner. The first time we put it up the wind came up in the direction that the sun was coming from and nearly ripped the canopy off the side of the van.

If you bought the full set, sides and front with wrap around corners it may make a good light weight awning.

The good thing about them is if you have a heavy well built British van like ours :-) is they are feather light and small packed size...

Guest JudgeMental
JohnsCrossMotorHomes - 2014-03-01 7:57 PM

Let the pump do the work, driveaway awnings no longer use poles !

http://www.johnscross.co.uk/vango-kela-airaway.html

Thanks John...can't see that standing up,to Spanish winds!?!?

Thanks also Flicka and Cliffy for the heads up...I missed a set of these on ebay last week as was away collecting van, but to be honest as we are fair weather campers just normal wind/sun side screens will do.

Recommendation for decent tie down kit would be useful..had one years ago but it was not great as it kept slipping

We have a Fiammi safari room, which attaches to our Fiammi zip awing, which can be used as just side panels. Very stong, kept down with lots of pegs. Maybe Omni do something simalar. i guess you already have the awing fitted? so too late to have a zipped version

PJay

JudgeMental - 2014-03-02 8:02 AM

Thanks also Flicka and Cliffy for the heads up...I missed a set of these on ebay last week as was away collecting van, but to be honest as we are fair weather campers just normal wind/sun side screens will do.

Recommendation for decent tie down kit would be useful..had one years ago but it was not great as it kept slipping

Hi Judge, I have one of these pump up awnings and it's very firm and secure, it comes with upteen types of fixing to motorhome. Whilst we were in Benidorm last Nov - Dec we had a terrible stormy night and our awning took it in its stride. Well worth going to a dealer that has them on display.

John.

Omnistore do their own tie down kit a couple of guys with fittings on the end that clip into the top of the front legs, very neat and only about 20 quid. tie down kit

lennyhb - 2014-03-02 11:23 AM

Omnistore do their own tie down kit a couple of guys with fittings on the end that clip into the top of the front legs, very neat and only about 20 quid. tie down kit

That is just a tie down strap. We made one with straping for less than £5. just tie to tent pegs each end and throw over the awning, works very well. I think Eddie wants more of a plastic "wall" to keep out the weather , but still see whats going on.

Hi Eddie..

I would've thought that what ever panel you come up with, it needs to be really quick an easy to deploy...because if you do need to the wind the canopy in pretty sharpish(and you will if you anticipate it being windy!) you don't really want to be having to mess with poles,guys, pegs etc...

For a while, at festivals, I did try using a panel of ex MOD snow-netting, hung from an additional rafter and pegged down and even that,being full of holes, would billow and flap about...and wasn't really worth the mither..... ;-)

PJay - 2014-03-02 12:08 PM

lennyhb - 2014-03-02 11:23 AM

That is just a tie down strap. We made one with straping for less than £5. just tie to tent pegs each end and throw over the awning, works very well. I think Eddie wants more of a plastic "wall" to keep out the weather , but still see whats going on.

Eddie asked about tie down kits as well, the Omnistore one has fittings on the end that fit into their awning legs, makes a neat solution that does the job.

Hi Judge, I have one of these pump up awnings and it's very firm and secure, it comes with upteen types of fixing to motorhome. Whilst we were in Benidorm last Nov - Dec we had a terrible stormy night and our awning took it in its stride. Well worth going to a dealer that has them on display.

John.

We've got one of these as well - Vango inflatable. It slides onto the awning rail using standard connectors, and can be yanked free very quickly if need be. However, because the frame is inflatable rather than actual poles, it's much more flexible in the wind - think stalk of grass versus tree. Also, if weather did get really bad, it's very quick to deflate the frame.

It's not something to use for just a night maybe, but it's very handy if you're staying somewhere for a few days as you can unhook easily and drive away without having to dismantle everything.

Guest JudgeMental

[quote

Omnistore do their own tie down kit a couple of guys with fittings on the end that clip into the top of the front legs, very neat and only about 20 quid.

I do that already for a pittance with some guy ropes and pegs..being an ex scout I know my knots :-D

Have lost an awning before during a storm, so always tie it down, but with sides I imagine the belt type strung right over a good idea as well.

First van we bought I got a single Omnistor Rain Blocker side panel for exactly the reason Eddie mentions. It had a sprung rafter pole that had to be put up first, between the awning casing and the awning lead rail, then it had to be pegged down at the base, and then tied-in to the awning leg. It did nothing to stabilise the awning in wind, which could still get under the awning fabric and baloon it up. I also got an Omni tie-down kit, which was spring loaded. If windy, which is what the tie-down was supposedly for, the wind still balooned the fabric upward by flexing the rafters inward, and the tie-down merely gave on its spring allowing this to happen. After the gust passed, all sprung back to its normal position to await the next gust. We used both a couple of times, and that was it. Both were passed on the the new owner of the van in "as new" condition.

I now use the securing plates on the side of the van to fix the feet of the awning legs. Better, IMO, than the tent pegs suppiled, which have little hold in soft soil. The wind still baloons the fabric, but I take that as the gipsy's warning, and wind back the awning until the wind no longer rattles it. If the wind strengthens, I simply wind the lot back, leaving the legs still in their plates, so that all that is needed when calm returns is to wind the awning back out again.

However, I don't think these wind-out awnings are suitable for use in wind. In breezes, OK. If you want wind proof, you really need someting free standing, IMO, properly guyed down. Something like a Khyam Screendome (lighter, cheaper), or Screenhouse (heavier, more robust). Guess what? They have a sale on at present! :-) Of course, you have to find the space and payload to carry them, but I'd guess the erection time is little more than the faff of the Rain Blocker, and they do the full job. You are free to come and go leaving the awning behind, and can use the roll out to bridge the gap between van and free-standing awning when mood/conditions permit. Best of both worlds?

Guest JudgeMental
Pampam - 2014-03-02 10:06 PM

Judge ... In case you change your mind there is an inflatable vango awning for sale on eBay :) pp

Thanks fior the heads up..not having much luck with evil bay at the moment...keep getting outbid...my usual winning technique no longer works! :-S

Eddie, I made my own quick wind blockers cheaply, there's no reason why you couldn't do the same with some 'tent' material rather than 'netting/voile'.

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Windblocker/28712/#M331611

There's also an alternative to the wind blockers, a solid plastic version which still allows light in but stops the wind:

http://www.parrotsol.co.uk/

Guest JudgeMental
Caddies104 - 2014-03-02 10:52 AM

Hi

We bought the Lillypad Windblockers and very pleased, extremely light and easy to erect, on YouTube I believe.....

Have just ordered these (just the sides), seem a lightweight and simple solution. unlike some that are made of plastic mesh reinforced tarpaulin :-S

This winter in Spain and Portugal has had a fair bit of wind rain and cold. Our Vango Airaway Kela has stood it all very well and is warm dry and cosy. I suspect that an awning side panel would not be the same. Colin.

Guest JudgeMental
If weather that bad we will be in the van or a bar.....Have lost one awning already it wont happen again :-D

• 7 months later...

Archived