Breakdown Cover

sambukashot

Due to the recent wet weather i was unfortunate to get stuck on a grass verge adjacent to a road, after calling the breakdown cover for help i was informed they do not cover this type of event :(

Does anyone know of any breakdown cover that will help you out in situations like this?

Thanks in advance

The response I have had more than once while abroad has been:

"Can you start the engine?", if yes, "Can you put it in gear?", if yes - the reply is, "Then you're not broken down, are you? Sorry, can't help you."

One time it was from a so called friendly club, another time from private insurance cover, and it sounded to be the self same very sharp and unfriendly lady. I believe many companies share the same call centre.

It seems that we are not as well covered as we think.

Tea Cup - 2014-03-02 2:58 PM

The response I have had more than once while abroad has been:

"Can you start the engine?", if yes, "Can you put it in gear?", if yes - the reply is, "Then you're not broken down, are you? Sorry, can't help you."

One time it was from a so called friendly club, another time from private insurance cover, and it sounded to be the self same very sharp and unfriendly lady. I believe many companies share the same call centre.

It seems that we are not as well covered as we think.

What was the problem that wasn't covered?

sambukashot - 2014-03-02 8:01 PM

Does anybody know if a flat tyre is covered under breakdown cover? I am just curious

A friend of ours, was coming to meet us in France a few years ago now, and had a flat tyre. He called the breakdown service and they came and changed the tyre for him. When he did arrive with us , we then had to go and find a trye company, and buy two new ones .expensive in France!! So as to match on the same axle

Mind you he was one of those people who have "short arms and long pockets", so the tyres he was running on a bit past the sell by date any way

PJay

sambukashot - 2014-03-02 8:01 PM

Does anybody know if a flat tyre is covered under breakdown cover? I am just curious

RAC recently came to my home and changed a flat tyre for me.

( Van is on quite a steep slope and I didn't fancy trusting the scissor jack ! )

;-)

French tyre laws are quite strict, if you break down with a puncture and can't repair it: (translation)

When the Highway Code prohibits tires of different structures on the same axle it means that the tires must be both:

* same brand

* same size

* same class of use (eg road, snow, road)

* same structure: radial or diagonal

* same code rate

* same index of carrying capacity

The Highway Code also states that:

* "The wear indicator of 1.6 mm is the minimum legal height of gum."

* "The difference between the depth of the main grooves with two tires mounted on a single axle shall not exceed 5 mm.

So the breakdown van might have to source two tyres as described above if they can't get your type.

I don't know if that would be covered!

A quote from Comfort Insurance breakdown cover with is done by the RAC:-

"Breakdown assistance will not cover:

the recovery of any car if it is stuck in water,

a bog, a ditch or on a beach or if it has been

overturned unless this forms part of your

insurance claim"

Well it wasn't stuck in water a bog or a ditch so under their policy i would think you would be covered.

If it happens to me perhaps I'll play safe and let a tyre down before calling them. (lol)

lennyhb - 2014-03-03 1:43 PM

A quote from Comfort Insurance breakdown cover with is done by the RAC:-

"Breakdown assistance will not cover:

the recovery of any car if it is stuck in water,

a bog, a ditch or on a beach or if it has been

overturned unless this forms part of your

insurance claim"

Well it wasn't stuck in water a bog or a ditch so under their policy i would think you would be covered..........................

The problem with which, Lenny, as you infer, is that it will be the breakdown provider who decides, not the person with the problem.

If Keith will forgive me, he said he was in a layby, but was stick on wet grass. Surely laybys are normally surfaced, even if only with gravel?

Motorhomes have close to one tonne on each wheel, some more, and it is wise to get out and try the ground with at least the heel of one's show before pulling onto a grass surface during, or following, wet weather. Even if the soil is firm, many verges conceal drainage ditches, and these can neatly trap a wheel - as well as doing damage if crossed to quickly. Getting out to explore the ground is generally a good precation in strange territory!

Back on topic....the clue is in the title...'Breakdown cover'.  Can you imagine just how many callouts the service would have if it covered 'stuck in the mud' vehicles?  If cover extended to 'stuck' then in winter...snow/ice conditions...... the service would be overwhelmed.  Likewise, if I remember correctly, not too long ago possibly hundreds of MH's got stuck in the mud at a show........being towed in and out of a showground so cover for that eventuality would IMO be very difficult/impossible to obtain. 

lennyhb - 2014-03-03 1:43 PMA quote from Comfort Insurance breakdown cover with is done by the RAC:-"Breakdown assistance will not cover:the recovery of any car if it is stuck in water,a bog, a ditch or on a beach or if it has beenoverturned unless this forms part of yourinsurance claim"Well it wasn't stuck in water a bog or a ditch so under their policy i would think you would be covered.If it happens to me perhaps I'll play safe and let a tyre down before calling them. (lol)

Probably a good idea.....the reduced pressure and consequently increased footprint might just give enough traction to allow you to drive out.   :-D

If Keith will forgive me, he said he was in a layby, but was stick on wet grass. Surely laybys are normally surfaced, even if only with gravel? 

It was only the left front wheel that was just on the grass verge, but been front wheel drive it would not get any grip at all :(

Archived