Sog Vs Chemical Blue

Corky 8

We were lucky one day in September to get the last place on the Aire at Chateaudun, anyone who has been on the Aire knows the close proximity of your Neighbour, it was a warm day so we had widows open slightly, We noticed a real strong smell of Poo, which sent me into our toilet to check our Toilet but all was well, the seal was working , whenever we use the toilet we flush then use the pink toilet cleaner in a spray bottle which helps keep it fresh (we do not have a cistern).   The smell faded, in the evening I decided to empty our Cassette, it was then I discovered where the smell emanated the M/H next to us had a Sog fitted and must have been in use as I got the full effect of them not using Chemicals , I did consider fitting a Sog to be environmentally Friendly but since have decided not to, Do those of you who have a Sog fitted experience any unwanted aromas either inside or outside your M/H.

I had a sog on my last van,worked very well,removed all smells and gasses from the cassette,bit wiffy when you emptied the cassette though,,my present van does not have a sog and I did consider fitting one but have not bothered as a little blue in the cassette does the trick no problem , and when emptying the cassette it does not smell so bad, cant say that when the sog was running there were any bad smells to bother others parked nearby, but I always emptied the cassette daily or as often as I could. 

Guest JudgeMental

"must have been the SOG"

have had SOG in last to vans and on new one... so over 7 years experience..never have smelt anything..quite the opposite in fact, as if you partner having a smelly one the fumes are sucked straight out (through filter) and I think they are brilliant + no nasty chemicals required

I really think if the smell that strong I would put money on it being a smelly waste water tank

The SOG carbon filter costs £9.50.

It is not unknown for the tightwads amongst us to simply not fit one. The performance inside is still fine, but outside the full smell without active carbon filtering is simply wafted into your neighbours window.

Elsan blue works for me, has done for 50 odd years.

H

First van no SOG so used the blue chemical. Not particularly unpleasant when emptying

New van has SOG. great when using it but not pleasant when emptying

Back to using a drop of the blue and personally would pay extra for it.

First van no SOG so used the blue chemical. Not particularly unpleasant when emptying

New van has SOG. great when using it but not pleasant when emptying

Back to using a drop of the blue and personally would pay extra for a SOG.

Guest JudgeMental
jeez.......OK! we got it! :-D just try turning your head away (instead of examining the contents) holding your breath whilst flushing immediately..better still get the wife to do it! :D

hallii - 2014-03-02 3:08 PM

The SOG carbon filter costs £9.50.

It is not unknown for the tightwads amongst us to simply not fit one. The performance inside is still fine, but outside the full smell without active carbon filtering is simply wafted into your neighbours window.

Elsan blue works for me, has done for 50 odd years.

H

Me Too, We have Thetford's version of a 'SOG' fitted to our van,It was already fitted when we bought it,I wouldn't have paid any extra for it (although I probably did !!). But still use Elsan Blue. Ray

JudgeMental - 2014-03-02 3:02 PM

"must have been the SOG"

have had SOG in last to vans and on new one... so over 7 years experience..never have smelt anything..quite the opposite in fact, as if you partner having a smelly one the fumes are sucked straight out (through filter) and I think they are brilliant + no nasty chemicals required

I really think if the smell that strong I would put money on it being a smelly waste water tank

On this matter I find myself in accord with Mr Mental.

Guest peter
Emptying a rank smelling cassette makes me puke and is not pleasant. So I always put some Liddl concentrated Bio washing liquid in with some water after emptying and it takes away the putrid stench.

We have a Sog system, but I use a 25/75 approx mix of cheap blue and Lidl bio washing liquid, it just emits a perfumed smell. I think that main advantage of the Sog system is that it removes the smells from the van, rather than leaving them in the bathroom.

Brian B.

erneboy - 2014-03-02 4:26 PM

JudgeMental - 2014-03-02 3:02 PM

"must have been the SOG"

On this matter I find myself in accord with Mr Mental.

Another yes for the SOG added bonus if a septic tank as a "no emptying of chemical toilets" sign you can stilll get rid of your crap :D

I had a SOG fitted to my last van. I learned to hold my breath when emptying. Sometimes I ventilate the tank before taking it to the black waste point.

It's not unknown to read reports of 'SOG fumes' from a van to unsettling the neighbours and it seems more common when vans are parked closer together.

My current van has Thetford's electric ventilator which ventilates smells form the waste tank. It came with toilet fluids but the instructions don't explain why. The filters are said to "Last a camping season approx 4 weeks."

Thanks to you all for your observations and comments on this subject ,I have made my mind up to stay with the chemical alternative, I see there is now a None formaldehyde cassette toilet chemical that is safe to use and safe for the Environment which we will be changing to ,at £35 for 20 litres I think that's near a life time supply.  Thanks again.           Dennis

Dennis..

Similar to a few others, we use(d) a splosh of cheapie bio (clothes)washing liquid...Far nicer smelling than any of the "proper" chemical we'd tried..and only about a quid a litre(..and doesn't stain if you spill any).

And used in the relatively small quantities that we're talking of here, it's probably not going to kill any *great crested newts/seals/polar bears/rain forests etc

(*delete as applicable to you're camping location (lol) )

pepe63 - 2014-03-03 1:35 PMDennis..Similar to a few others, we use(d) a splosh of cheapie bio (clothes)washing liquid...Far nicer smelling than any of the "proper" chemical we'd tried..and only about a quid a litre(..and doesn't stain if you spill any).And used in the relatively small quantities that we're talking of here, it's probably not going to kill any *great crested newts/seals/polar bears/rain forests etc(*delete as applicable to you're camping location (lol) )
Also useful as a hand cleaner, washing clothes, deodorant for the Grey water tank etc. Can't do that with a SOG.

Unfortunately this topic always attracks the silly comments about being overcome with the fumes from a SOG and detecting it at 100 paces normally from those that have never used one. Had mine for 8 years now and find no problems either from smell when using or emptying. Again its everybody to there own preferences but factual posts rather than emotions are preferred.

Eh?... :-S

There have been no " silly comments" posted on this thread..and the only "emotive" post would seem to be yours... ;-)

Corky 8 started this thread and posted his, presumably "factual", experience, as have others...or do facts/experiences that differ from yours, count as being "silly" then..? :-S

sshortcircuit - 2014-03-04 12:25 PMUnfortunately this topic always attracks the silly comments about being overcome with the fumes from a SOG and detecting it at 100 paces normally from those that have never used one. Had mine for 8 years now and find no problems either from smell when using or emptying. Again its everybody to there own preferences but factual posts rather than emotions are preferred.
Unfortunately there are less responsible users out there who are too tight or too ignorant to regularly replace the carbon filter and in that situation they do stink, maybe not inside but as the OP states in close proximity can spoil others enjoyment.

Retread24800 - 2014-03-04 11:44 AM
sshortcircuit - 2014-03-04 12:25 PMUnfortunately this topic always attracks the silly comments about being overcome with the fumes from a SOG and detecting it at 100 paces normally from those that have never used one. Had mine for 8 years now and find no problems either from smell when using or emptying. Again its everybody to there own preferences but factual posts rather than emotions are preferred.
Unfortunately there are less responsible users out there who are too tight or too ignorant to regularly replace the carbon filter and in that situation they do stink, maybe not inside but as the OP states in close proximity can spoil others enjoyment.

A good way to ensure you maintain a degree of privacy then....  :-D

........got to admit to never having had a whiff from ours.  I suspect the 'whiffy' ones are not because of a lack of filtration per se but a failure to empty the cassette often enough.  Also if the SOG is not fitted correctly it can have an 'air' leak which, according to the SOG website can be the cause of nasty niffs.

Corky 8 - 2014-03-03 11:46 AM

Thanks to you all for your observations and comments on this subject ,I have made my mind up to stay with the chemical alternative, I see there is now a None formaldehyde cassette toilet chemical that is safe to use and safe for the Environment which we will be changing to ,at £35 for 20 litres I think that's near a life time supply.  Thanks again.           Dennis

That seems a very good price, have you checked that it isn't already diluted? Or is it that price due to bulk buy?

we use this http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/blue-diamond-when-nature-calls-toilet-fluid-p148977

Alternative to 'official' SOG charcoal filter:

I've just seen this 'hint' on another forum and thought it might be useful to those of you with a SOG:

My tip is that when our toilet charcoal air filter got soaked, a new one from Thetford was almost £14....................I got a bag of activated charcoal on e bay,filled a small string bag with it and put it in the filter compartment.............cost about £2.

RogerC - 2014-03-05 11:32 PM

Just reading on this web page about SOG and chemicals.......

http://www.sognz.co.nz/thetford-c2-c3-c4-installation-instructions/

It states "To promote decomposition and avoid smells do not use chemicals or additives" so those 'whiffy' ones might have caused filter damage by using chemical additives.

There are various reasons why the external 'exhaust' from a SOG-fitted toilet can smell unpleasantly. These include the external carbon filter not being replaced sufficiently regularly or the filter becoming contaminated due to a poor installation. There's also the simple fact that some people's noses are more sensitive than others, and I can smell odours from my motorhome's SOG toilet's exhaust easily enough even when the filter is brand-new.

The primary plus-point of a SOG system is as JudgeMental mentions in his 2 March 2014 3:02 PM posting - it extracts 'bummy' smells from the toilet compartment.

Archived