Renewing driving licenses at 80

woody.

So , the DVLA to save money is thinking about giving drivers another ten years before having to change our licenses , i personally am nearly 70 and in good health , im physically fit and i reckon im quite a good driver with good reflexes and eye sight , hopefuly this will last for a long while yet , so i reckon this could be a good move , might even mean i keep my C1 longer , and im sure there are many drivers out there the same . What do you think ??

Since we are n earer 80 than 70, it won't make a lot of difference to us personaly. i do know a lot of over 80's who still drive, are they any worse than the drivers who are banned and carry on driving?

Yes we get slower as we get older, but on the whole, most older people drive more consideratly than the youngsters of to-day. i think one should have to have been driving for at least a year, before taking a driving test, and then a further year as a probationer , with limits to driving IE Speed ?

To many distractions in cars now, with radio, i players, discs etc.

Used to have to pay for a car radio licence years ago

Maybe we would be able to claim "our civil right" to carry on driving regdless??

As this was in the daily mail, will likely be other comments!!

PJay

Thanks for your comments soarer , i reckon as we get older we get more aware of our surroundings when driving , than when we were younger and dashing around . But weve got to be honest with ourselves and weve got to know when to call it a day , im not looking forward to that day .

George Collings - 2014-03-03 8:40 PMaged 71 I still enjoy driving, Once it gets to be a worry I shall give up. I have dealt with enough accidents involving decrepit drivers to want to cause one myself.

Why would you want to cause an accident?  :-D

Archived