Headlamp Protector

Pc Plod

I am trying to find someone who sells headlamp protectors for a ford transit mk7 but without much success.I have ben told that the australian company who used to produce them have stopped making them. Can anyone advise me where i may be able to purchase them.

Guest JudgeMental
I found the ones of my 2007 transit at weekend clearing out garage... you can have them for nothing if you pay postage and make a donation to my favorite charity (ladyboys in crisis) :-D

Have you checked what the "lenses" are made from? I'm assuming polycarbonete, because that is what our 2007 Transit Mk 7 had. Polycarbonate is one of the toughest plastics made, and has superb light transmitting characteristics. We lost three windscreens over the six years we had our Transit based van, but the headlamps were completely unscathed over the same timescale. I'm not convinced the protectors offer any beneficial protection, albeit they may be uesful for holding the beam deflectors. Take Eddie's offer of the freebies, but otherwise save your money!

Guest JudgeMental
Pc Plod - 2014-03-04 7:19 PM

Thank you judge for your kind offer.Will you pm me with your details so that i can send you a cheque..

Just pm me your details and I will let you know postage when I've sent them..there are no clips, and can't remember if you need them :-S

They have beem converters fitted......

roger s - 2014-03-05 7:47 AM

Got ours(for Mk7 Tranny) from Formula 4x4 in North Yorks

I don't think formula4 still market Transit headlamp protectors (there's no mention of them on the website).

According to this 2011 thread they were cheaper than the VanComfort Australian-made EGR-branded product

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Headlamp-protectors-European-headlights/23610/#M262684

The photos (of an EGR-branded Transit Mk 7 protector) on that thread show a retaining clip at the top. I would have thought some means of retention would be required, so, if JudgeMental's protectors are missing their clips, the photos may help if clips need to be DIYed.

Brian Kirby - 2014-03-04 6:04 PM

Have you checked what the "lenses" are made from? I'm assuming polycarbonete, because that is what our 2007 Transit Mk 7 had. Polycarbonate is one of the toughest plastics made, and has superb light transmitting characteristics. We lost three windscreens over the six years we had our Transit based van, but the headlamps were completely unscathed over the same timescale. I'm not convinced the protectors offer any beneficial protection, albeit they may be uesful for holding the beam deflectors. Take Eddie's offer of the freebies, but otherwise save your money!

I have protectors for my Transit for the sole purpose of holding beam deflectors. It saves having to buy new deflectors each time and messing about sticking them on in the right place and cleaning the headlight after removing them.

With regard to fixing the protector to the headlamp, I've got a motorcycle and fitted a protector to the headlamp with heavy duty  'velcro' type plastic items. The protector is easy to remove for cleaning and has stayed in place for a couple of years now. They can be obtained from Homebase, etc. I would stress that the heavy duty items are required.

Photo of the protector attached.

686781516_Lensfixing.jpg.75868e22b11c900a4029a2aa5fe6cc92.jpg

I bought a pair of these over 2 years ago,they were attached by suckers and until recently they have been very good. Recently the suckers have started to lift,I have removed the units to attempt to rectify the problem,which may be just a cleaning of both sucker and headlight cover. Bearing in mind that a broken unit costs in the region of £1k!

I have been considering replacing the suckers with double side lock tape similar to velcro.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3M-Dual-Lock-tape-Stronger-than-Heavy-Duty-Hook-Loop-with-self-adhesive-backing-/111218392661

I have seen a similar item used on motor bikes.

Does anyone think this will affect the lens cover by a reaction with the adhesive or affect the light pattern.

Brian Kirby - 2014-03-04 6:04 PM

I'm not convinced the protectors offer any beneficial protection, albeit they may be useful for holding the beam deflectors.

That's the main reason i was looking for some to fit my Transit.

Having had rubbish deflectors which just fall off after a few miles, the ones i have now are the absolute opposite and stuck solid to the lens. Also being in very hot sun baked them on even more! If it wasn't for the MOT i'd leave them but have to get them removed somehow.

Tried soaking with hot water, washing up liquid and a non-scratch scourer but it won't shift the residue. Not to mention the plastic lenses are so pathetically thin they bend under the slightest pressure.

To me the benefit is not having to shell out up to £1k every time a stone hits the unit! When sealed beam units came out replacement cost of£1.50 was expensive!

The shields I have and are flat they need to be contoured so as not to put strain on the suckers. The material is a tad too thick, so I may experiment with some slightly thinner sheet and try to mold it with a heat gun.

I could fit one side with the 'hook and loop' tape and the other with a silicone bead and evaluate.

To me the benefit is not having to shell out up to £1k every time a stone hits the unit! When sealed beam units came out replacement cost of£1.50 was expensive!

The shields I have and are flat they need to be contoured so as not to put strain on the suckers. The material is a tad too thick, so I may experiment with some slightly thinner sheet and try to mold it with a heat gun.

I could fit one side with the 'hook and loop' tape and the other with a silicone bead and evaluate.

I wonder if the silicon is 'neutral' to the coating on the unit.

Brian Kirby - 2014-03-05 5:01 PM

True, but isn't yours an A Class Hymer, that doesn't use the Transit headlamps the OP wanted to protect?

...is the right answer,But I wished to contribute to the discussion vis-a-vis protectors and offering some suggestions,based on my experiences.

And so you should! :-)

My only point was that your Exsis headlamps, like mine, are toughened glass fronted Hymer "specials" at about £700 a pop (plus fitting if you don't DIY). So, it makes economic sense to protect them as far as possible because a) they are easily broken and b) of the cost if they are.

OTOH, the Transit lamps are about £200 or less each and are polycarbonate fronted so a) very unlikely to be broken and b) relatively cheap to replace in the unlikely event one is shattered. So, the protectors will achieve little, unless one prefers to use them to carry masks for right hand traffic. I have nothing against the masks, just that they were more relevant, and made more economic sense, in the days of glass fronted (like ours! What does that chap say? Ah yes "progress, eh?" :-D) lamps.

yeti - 2014-03-05 4:36 PM

I could fit one side with the 'hook and loop' tape and the other with a silicone bead and evaluate.I wonder if the silicon is 'neutral' to the coating on the unit.

£1,000 seems a tad expensive for a headlight

Mike

I also want protectors to fit beam masks to but the initial companys i contacted told me that they were not producing transit protectors anymore .It is unfortunate that the judge cannot find his old set but it was very kind of his offer,i will contact some of the other internet sites mentioned and hope someone has them in stock.

Archived