Cab Security (again)

Guest peter

Hi guys, I read in a thread that someone fitted turnbuckles to their door buttons to stop them being pulled up. Can someone please tell me what these are and how this works, as I am very concerned as to how easy it is to just break the window pull up these buttons and you are in,. I have an alarm and imobilisor so van can't be nicked but they could strip it in the time it would take for someone to take notice of the alarm, or not at all. Are there any other gadgets that can be fitted to stop the cab doors from being opened appart from deadlocks. As I really don't want have to crack a night time intruder over the crust with a baseball bat. :D

And all that extra weight to carry!

But, where do you stop overnight?  Could you solve the problem more cheaply by using more secure stopping places?

The turnbuttons, as I understand them, only prevent the locking buttons being lifted by coathanger or similar.  If the window has been broken forget it, they're in!  Deadlocks are your best bet, talk to Dave Newell, but a determined thief can still climb in through the broken window!

Brian is right. Your best bet is to invest in a really good alarm system (I hate to recommend Van Bitz again, but they really are the best for motorhomes) which gives you: - a truly ear shattering alarm (not the wimpish things most people ignore) - sensors on all doors and lockers - a glass breakage sensor - an internal motion sensor which can be de-activated at night so you have a very good perimeter alarm whilst you sleep. Also fit decent locks to the conversion door (and any compartment door large enough to get through) and you'll be safe from all but a Chicago Hitman comissioned by your worst enemy.

Guest starspirit
No matter how secure your overnight parking is it won't help daytime parking for shopping, walking and just enjoying life will it? Most turnbuckles (called frame guard or frame locks or similar) are visibly lockable and can be bought from some DIY stores, locksmiths or Screwfix Direct. To my mind they are a visible deterent but I don't know how well they work in practice? I wonder whether security film will encourage the low life to break more than one window to attempt access, specially if the glass breaks 'quietly' due to being stuck together in one sheet by the film? And then there is the easier possibility of just cutting the rubber seal around a quarter light and pushing the whole lot in - or prising it out in one piece? Long live paranoia!

I have a pair of Heo Locks fiitted to my front doors... http://www.outdoorbits.com/product_info.php/cPath/5_23/products_id/82 With a Fiamma safe door on teh side door.. http://www.outdoorbits.com/product_info.php/cPath/5_23/products_id/124 Does us fine... HTH bob

Peter,if you want some protection or warning if its parked on your drive or within about 100 ft of the house why not get a driveway alarm.The sensor is placed in the vehicle covering the 3 doors & the receiver by the bedside.It will only activate with movement in the vehicle ,not by passers-by.the receiver will wake the dead when a door is opened.Time to phone the police before going out with the shotgun,About £45 from SAS products.Test about every 3-4 weeks that the battery in the sensor has not run down.You can have more than 1 receiver in the house.Mine does give me a little piece of mind at night.

My way is to couple the cab doors together using a chain. I made two brackets out flat steel about two ins. wide, and welded a length chain to each one, on the end of one I put S link. I bolted a bracket to the edge of each door at floor level, there is enough clearance on my van (a Transit). I lay the chains across the floor behined the seats. When we sleep I couple the chains with the S link, for quick release, When we are out I lock them together. Regards Marcob

Posted by Marcob ("My way is to couple the cab doors together using a chain. I made two brackets out flat steel about two ins. wide, and welded a length chain to each one, on the end of one I put S link. I bolted a bracket to the edge of each door at floor level, there is enough clearance on my van (a Transit). I lay the chains across the floor behined the seats. When we sleep I couple the chains with the S link, for quick release, When we are out I lock them together. Regards Marcob") That's a very good idea I'll have to investigate that or possibly use stranded steel wire with a couple of eyes crimped in the ends. Nice one Marcob

You may find the stranded wire that electricians use to hang flourescent lights in factories is ok. It comes with one end pre-looped and is a bit thicker than your standard bike brake cable. Included is a small metal fitting for looping the other end. Try your electrical wholesaler

Archived