Over 65 Extended Stay Travel Insurance

DAVLINS

Have just reached the "prime of life" age - I hate it. To make matters worse I have just found out that my long time insurer does not provide annual multi trip cover for extended stays once you reach 65 ! Would like to hear about any company that offers this - go on give me a reason to celebrate !

A bit more information would have been helpful. What is meant by "extended stay"? Who is the current insurer?

Some insurance companies such as Insure and Go indicate that they will not cover those over 65 for more than (I think) 30 days but when you speak to them they will for a small additional premium. Also over 65 means different things to different insurance companies. Insure and Go told me that if you are 65 or under on the day you take out the policy you are covered for a whole year from that date meaning you can be 66 before your cover expires. I have just found this out from my insurer.

One of the best for 90 day stays in Liverpool Victoria but is that long enough to fall within the original poster's definition of "extended stay".

Mike88 - 2014-03-05 1:35 PM

A bit more information would have been helpful. What is meant by "extended stay"? Who is the current insurer?

Some insurance companies such as Insure and Go indicate that they will not cover those over 65 for more than (I think) 30 days but when you speak to them they will for a small additional premium. Also over 65 means different things to different insurance companies. Insure and Go told me that if you are 65 or under on the day you take out the policy you are covered for a whole year from that date meaning you can be 66 before your cover expires. I have just found this out from my insurer.

One of the best for 90 day stays in Liverpool Victoria but is that long enough to fall within the original poster's definition of "extended stay".

insurance companies tend to class extended stay as anything beyond 31 days . For over 65s most companies will not give annual multi trip policies for anything more than 31 days. Therefore my original question.

ps 90 days would fit within my requirements - 2 trips in 1 year

DAVLINS - 2014-03-05 2:13 PM

insurance companies tend to class extended stay as anything beyond 31 days . For over 65s most companies will not give annual multi trip policies for anything more than 31 days. Therefore my original question.

So as in my previous post Insure and Go will insure you for more than 31 days if you discuss your position with them. Easier though to go with Liverpool Victoria:

http://www.lv.com/travel-insurance

Comfort may be worth asking. They would issue travel and health cover until age 70, but you do have to have certain other policies with them, in this case I think, house and contents. There is an extra premium for extended cover, and this dovetails with the house and contents cover, so that you are properly covered on both for the specified period - up to 180 days, I think, in 30 day increments.

Nationwide give free travel and health cover if you have a Flex Account, and this can be extended for longer trips. We are covered for 90 days, and they will also cover a number of health issues. Age extensions are also available. Premiums are charged for the extra time and some, but not all, health issues but, bearing in mind the basic cover is at no cost, the added premiums work out cheaper overall than most other options.

Mike88 - 2014-03-05 2:37 PM

So as in my previous post Insure and Go will insure you for more than 31 days if you discuss your position with them. Easier though to go with Liverpool Victoria:

Insure and Go were my insurer !!

If you bank with Nationwide, you can get cover over 75! We have 90 days with them for each trip.

Should have no problem for 65 yera old with any company, I would have thought. The problems arise at 80 years old. I believe Saga do up to 70years Not sure how long the trips would be for.

I think it pays to stay with a good company as you get older, as it does get more difficult and expensive as you get older (Take my word for it!)

PJay

DAVLINS - 2014-03-05 5:33 PM

Mike88 - 2014-03-05 2:37 PM

Insure and Go were my insurer !!

And mine. That is why I said speak to them. They will quote for a longer stay. I'm in the same age group as you. I thought I had explained that.

Archived