Jet wash? No-no?

Billggski

Just read a thread on another site about someone wanting to take a jet wash with them to clean the MH off using an inverter while away!

Bizarre!

But when I had my MH jet washed I became quite concerned about the high pressure water being sprayed into the gaps around the trim and it even took the paint off one wheel!

With damp being the main killer I assume that jet washes are a no-no, am I right?

Most people think that using a jet washer on a vehicle is wrong and asking for trouble, which of course is true if used on high pressure, but it can be very efficient on normal spray setting, easy to reach high parts on a motorhome and the added bonus of using less water than a standard hosepipe.

To wash all the muck and pollutants off the body work is paramount for the upkeep of the bodywork and underneath, but not on high setting.

Guest JudgeMental
Have always had and used a Karsher washer. I do not get to close with it and have never had a problem.....makes washing the van a breeze.

I could not agree more,the power of these machines is terrific,even on low setting or in fan mode,

Even the little cheapy ones at about thirty quid can do serious damage to a joint sealant.

It amases me how many van dealerships use them to prepare vehicles for resale.

I often wonder if sometimes this is the cause of so many damp problems.

Probably ok on PVC types used carefully.

Well I use a pressure washer, its a professional model that spends most of its time on the lowest setting. Cleaning wheel arches is about the only time it gets turned up. Recently I had to use a hobby jet wash (my machine was being repaired)and was amazed at how fierce it was and can see how they get a bad rep. So I conclude that somebody that has no experience using a hobby machine could inflict serious damage, that does not mean that all pressure washers are bad

Guest peter
Most of the cheapie ones wouldn't take the skin off a rice pudding, as they only use an impellor pump instead of a piston one. But I wouldn't dream of taking it away with me. How sad is that?. :D

Billggski - 2014-03-06 7:37 AM

Just read a thread on another site about someone wanting to take a jet wash with them to clean the MH off using an inverter while away!

Bizarre!

But when I had my MH jet washed I became quite concerned about the high pressure water being sprayed into the gaps around the trim and it even took the paint off one wheel!

With damp being the main killer I assume that jet washes are a no-no, am I right?

I think I know the thread you are talking about and it turns out he isn't taking it away with him at all, he is taking it in his car to the storage site where he keeps his MH so that when he gets back from a long trip away he can give it a clean (wheel arches etc - NOT the main MH!) so it is ready for the next time he goes out without all the road crud being left on to rot it ... so maybe NOT so stupid after all. :-S

peter lambert - 2014-03-09 7:19 AM

I would not have thought that an Inverter would supply enough current to run a Power Washer. They can pull quite a bit of juice.

I have a 3000watt inverter fitted which will run a small type washer absolutely no problem. Not the most efficient way of doing it and I would use my generator instead.

Archived