More hedges, please

Charabanc

I am posting this in the hope that some site owners might read this forum. On looking through the 'Essential Sites 2014' there is a common theme: boring spaces of perfectly mown green with regimented lines of caravans/MHs with few natural features on site.

Now I know that it might be argued that a field without obstructions is easier to mow/keep tidy, and you can of course cram more units onto an open space, but I certainly prefer an 'emplacement' with hedges/trees. They add interest, provide a haven for wildlife and generally provide character to a site as well as privacy for the campers.

I know that hedges require maintenance, but when given the opportunity we will always head for a hedge, tree or corner rather than choose a pitch in the middle of a field.

Obviously there are exceptions, sites which have individual pitches, but I just wondered how other people felt about it? Do you think a view of everyone else adds to your enjoyment of a site or, like my husband, if you see a straight line of vans do you give it a swerve?

PS. What did I do to get a green star?

Charabanc - 2014-03-06 2:37 PM

PS. What did I do to get a green star?

The green star indicates the number of postings you made..( green = 25 )

I agree about hedges - that's what we like about French sites where they are very common.

Probably in the U.K. no hedges+ less maintenance costs + more pitches = increased revenue.

;-)

I agree it is important to landscape a site to provide character. Such landscaping should be sympathetic to the location. However, hedges and habits for wildlife are just two of numerous ways to do this.

We seem to have had little problem finding awful sites in France and the Benelux where the hedges made us feel like we were imprisoned. For rows and rows of parked motorhomes, I would always recommend Aires and Stellplatzen unless you want to venture to the Iberian peninsula and stay in car parks.

Open pitches often encourage more conversation with fellow campers. I wonder about those caravanners whose first job is to build a wall around their pitch to keep others out.

We don't worry about people watching us because they are probably too busy worrying that somebody is watching them to bother watching us.

I choose sites because of location as I tend not to stay on them long enough. I would choose one with character over one without if there were two in the area where we wanted to stay.

(lol)

2:37pm - Thread started.

4:15pm - Lenny tells us(again) that he, "..can't stand English sites"

(but unsurprisingly, like French ones *-) )

Come on Lenny,..the best part of 2 hours?. you're slipping..raise your game... (lol)

Unfortunately, the ripping out hedges and "greenery" in general is all too common anywhere you look....You only have to drive down the average street, to see hedges replaced by fence panels and lawns replaced by slabs, gravel or concrete... :-S

There's hedges and there's 'kin hedges, a few bushes or plants around a pitch are one thing, but some UK sites seem to think a tall lylandia hadge is called for, it can feel like you're parked up in the city with just a glimpse of (hopefully) blue sky all that is visible of the outside world.

pepe63 - 2014-03-06 6:53 PM

(lol)

2:37pm - Thread started.

4:15pm - Lenny tells us(again) that he, "..can't stand English sites"

(but unsurprisingly, like French ones *-) )

Come on Lenny,..the best part of 2 hours?. you're slipping..raise your game... (lol)

Unfortunately, the ripping out hedges and "greenery" in general is all too common anywhere you look....You only have to drive down the average street, to see hedges replaced by fence panels and lawns replaced by slabs, gravel or concrete... :-S

Perhaps you should actually read my posts before making comments on them that is the first time I have ever said I can't stand English sites as a general comment on UK sites perhaps I should have put in a smiley.

What I have said previously is that I hate CC sites.

We prefer pitches with small hedges of mixed species which provide a degree of privacy, allow you to talk to neighbours and keep dogs away. High hedges are awful. Also not keen on trees as it blocks out satellite reception. Appreciate that in hot countries trees are needed for shade but even then we prefer to be in the open, Nothing worse than a dense tree canopy when it is wet and miserable! Site owners seem to forget that trees grow several feet a year and soon become unmanageable.

Hedges get our vote, ditto French municipals. In fact French sites in general. We don't care for being stuck in the middle of a field, being told which way round to park, etc.

We were at a site near Teignmouth, where the site operator, having not been present when they arrived, made the caravan opposite move a few inches to one side (they were cooking dinner at the time). You've got to have rules, he exclaimed proudly, as he walked away. Spare me.

Hedges are nice. We do prefer them. But it would not deal break a site for us. There are far more important reasons to choose a site.

People like to complain about getting grass cut on sites, can you imagine the complaints about a hedge being flailed.

To manually prune a site full of hedgerows is going to massively increase time which equals pay. To flail a site increases fuel costs, machine costs assuming you can pick days with no vans on site to avoid the complaints or van damage. Not sure I would run a site with hedges.

If you are worried about privacy then motorhoming might not be for you. Hedges can be a potential nuisance - a haven for insects and in the UK the warden will be cutting them every 5 minutes. Frankly I couldn't be bothered about straight lines or whether a site has a hedge or not. I visit a site for it's location and not to sit around in a manner which I could do equally as well in my garden at home.

You did ask.

Archived