Euro VI, the answer?

Billggski

Billggski - 2014-03-06 3:37 PM

I see that mercedes answer to meeting euro VI emissions for motorhomes is to add urea to the fuel, this turns to ammonia and then gets "purified" in the cat.

So if I pee into the fuel tank will my emissions improve?

Isn't that cruel to cats? Cat Protection will surely have something to say about this!

Many years ago I was driving a hire van and when I stopped the battery was dead. When I checked it the electrolyte level in the battery was almost none existent. Standing on the bumper in the dark and trying to pee into each cell was not easy but I was amazed to find it worked. Never mentioned that to the hire company when turned the van in!

Guest pelmetman
Colin Leake - 2014-03-06 7:33 PM

Many years ago I was driving a hire van and when I stopped the battery was dead. When I checked it the electrolyte level in the battery was almost none existent. Standing on the bumper in the dark and trying to pee into each cell was not easy but I was amazed to find it worked. Never mentioned that to the hire company when turned the van in!

Just as well the police weren't passing 8-)...................

Leaky battery refilled by leaky Colin then!

Come on Derek, we are waiting for the definitive answer!

As far as I can work out, using "adblue" (I note the Germans use the English spelling) creates something like:

NOx + CH4N2O = NH3 + something = N + H2O (but I don't know where the carbon goes)

But then I never studied science beyond 15.

Adblue would need topping up about three times a year normally, or every three years for most MH mile ages. Is this progress?

Guest JudgeMental

Makes absoloute sense :-D your kidneys one of the best filters going....fresh urine is sterile. Worked with a chap years ago and his party piece was drinking his own pee for very easy money :D

Billggski - 2014-03-07 7:53 AM

Come on Derek, we are waiting for the definitive answer!

As far as I can work out, using "adblue" (I note the Germans use the English spelling) creates something like:

NOx + CH4N2O = NH3 + something = N + H2O (but I don't know where the carbon goes)

But then I never studied science beyond 15.

Adblue would need topping up about three times a year normally, or every three years for most MH mile ages. Is this progress?

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Euro-6-Mercedes-van-and-and-Fiat-Professional/31505/

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1042727_adding-urea-to-clean-diesel-cars-can-i-just-pee-in-the-tank

(GOOGLE-search on "adblue pee" for more piddle-related information.)

Regarding Hawcara's question about what happens if you run out of adblue, a similar inquiry on a trucker's forum provoked this response.

"You can relax as you get a 5 second warning before the exhaust manifold implodes because of the lack of adblue, causing thousands of shards of super heated metal to fly at 1,000 mph in every direction embedding themselves in the first thing they find. God forbid that happened while you drove past a school. Think of the children." ;-)

Archived