Towing a car that can tow its own trailer ?

tonyishuk

I have had a look around various small car forums and manufacturers sites (Fiat, Toyota, Smart, VW) and cannot seem to get the answer to my question. Or at least work out an answer to my question which is.

Which small cars that can be towed behind a motor-home are man enough to tow their own unladen car trailer ?

From Brian James site it seems that a braked trailer unladen weights ate abut 550 to 650kg ( Could be corrected here ?), but trying to find the towing capacity info from the manufacturers or Witters web sites seem a little light on information.

Rgds (& thanks)

I tow a Toyota iQ on a B J trailer and my preference would have been as you desire but :-

Getting the Thule bike rack and modifying it was too much hassle;

The rack was/is too expensive.

As all I wanted was to be able to "shunt " the trailer around a campsite I fitted movers to the trailer and it has done the job!

If it was possible to fit a tow bar to the car it would be useful but consider difficult manoeuvering situations where you can move the trailer with the car on board by using the movers ,eg some smaller pitches which will not fit the combo.

In conclusion and after using the trailer with the movers fitted over a two year period I feel it is the better choice BUT that's possibly because my reversing skills aren't great!

We tow a Toyota Yaris,on an A-Frame (total 1060kg) The Yaris (2010) has a fair towing limit, of about a Tonne I believe. although have no intention of putting a trailer behind it as well, and putting the car on a trailer puts me well over my vans towing limit anyway. Ray

I use this site to find towing weights http://carleasingmadesimple.com/business-car-leasing/fiat/

I also have one of these http://www.campertrolley.co.uk , however only used it once in anger with a large box trailer on someone's drive.

Both of the cars that I have used behind the motorhome have had tow balls and have been used to park the trailer on the pitch, however more often than not I have been able to push the trailer by hand.

As already been said for shunting and perhaps a small garden trailer most cars should be ok.

Roy

Many thanks for your replies.

It would be useful for shunting the trailer around the site, One of the reasons for investigating this was to be able to drive with the car and trailer to pickup the m/home then trailer the car. Sometimes this journey is about an hour (30 miles or so). Some of which is on the motorway. So it would be useful to travel at a speed that did not not inconvenience our HGV friends (too much)

Thanks for the A-frame advice, I could A-Frame but would prefer to tow a trailer despite is disadvantages

Rgds

• 3 months later...

Found some answers

1) It seems that Some Smarts Fortwo can be fitted with a road legal tow bar.

http://www.bantamtrailers.eu/boxtrailer.htm

2) The only other (not quite so small, but useful in other ways) car was the Suzuki Jimney, Kerb weight just over the Tonne and with trailer comes in at about 1750 kg. Most Fiat X250 seem to have a max towing weight of 2000 kg, depending on their construction and chassis specs.

http://www.suzuki.co.uk/cars/cars/new/jimny/jimny

Just to quote a sticker on the rear on one I saw ;

"" I may be little,

I may be slow,

BUT I CAN GO PLACES YOU CAN'T GO ! ""

Sort of summed it up for me :D

Rgds

tonyishuk - 2014-06-19 4:22 PM

. Most Fiat X250 seem to have a max towing weight of 2000 kg, depending on their construction and chassis specs.

I would second that , but always check before actually buying anything, I was all set to buy a Brian James Trailer for my Yaris, then Found that My 2012 Autotrail Savannah had a maximum tow limit of 1060 KG. SO, had to do a rethink, and went for an 'A-Frame', been using it since April ( about 12 'tows' ) found it a boon, and wish I had got one earlier. ( have no intention of taking it to Spain, anyway) Ray

Archived