SATELLITE TV SYSTEMS

Grumpy Old Man

Can anyone help and shed some light on the many systems available. I am considering a Katherein square dish system with a mast through the roof. But some people tell me for Astra2 ie BBC and ITV you need to skew the dish and you can't when it is mounted on this sort of mast. I want to receive TV in Ireland and France as well as UKso can anyone help with their experiences or recommend a better system? I just don't want a massive dish on the roof nor spend a fortune. (?) *-)

Hi grumpyoldman (I'm sure you're not really!) Don't know much about the technical side of satellite TV myself - we had the Oyster Caro (automatic) square dish fitted so just have to push a button and hey presto - TV! Try www.satelliteforcaravans.co.uk - it has just about everything you need to know on there and if you van't find the naswers just e-mail the guy he will give you help and advice. It is an independednt site so no commercial interests. Good luck, david

David is right about that superb web site. One other point which may not be obvious at first. The footprint (or area covered) for each channel depends on both the satellite (normally Astra for the UK channels) and also on the selected satellite transponder. Most BBC channels have very restricted coverage and can be received only in the UK and northern France with a standard dish. So you'll need a big dish to get them further south in France or elsewhere in Europe or a dish with a centrally focussed LNB (rather than offset as most LNBs are).

Archived