which E Bikes

hughman - 2014-03-10 1:40 PM

Large wheel stepthru - Kalkhoff Agattu a very good bet as has previously been said. Robust, quality, Panasonic crank drive, and very good user feedback.

If you can live with a smaller wheeled bike, Eddie's AVE would be a very good bet. Bosch crank drive is even better than Panasonic's IMHO (and I've had both), and the AVE is a good quality bike. I've ridden it and it's not nearly as 'nervous' to ride as many small wheel bikes.

...though note, the Agattu is Kalkhoff's own well reviewed "Impulse" crank drive, not Panasonic.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest JudgeMental
Inpulse well reviewed? by who, 50 cycles?*-) I'm an active member on german pedelec forum and I can assure you Pansonic and Bosch have a far better reputation...

JudgeMental - 2014-03-10 3:38 PM

Inpulse well reviewed? by who, 50 cycles?*-) I'm an active member on german pedelec forum and I can assure you Pansonic and Bosch have a far better reputation...

....not been banned on the German forum yet then, Eddie? ;-)

Actually, the impulse drive is pretty well reviewed everywhere (except by yourself, and we've been here before :-S), UK, Germany, USA, especially by those who have ridden a bike thus equipped, and prefer the nature of the power delivery over the others.

The nature of that power delivery, and the size of battery and thus range available were the items that clinched my decision, one I don't have any reason to regret, and as the spec was more or less spot-on what the OP requested, I posted a recommendation.

It is easy enough for anyone to use the web to get "unbiased" reviews and comparisons, so I would recommend anyone to look there.

Guest JudgeMental

You really are a piece of work, I was banned, and well rid as its a rubbish forum, except for a handful of members who I am in contact with. Not that I have to justify myself to the likes of an arrogant no nothing like you, but as your using this as a character assassination I will. They did not like me posting info I learnt from German forum about one advertiser who was blatantly misrepresenting their bikes.....advertising revenue more important than truth.

Incidentally your old fashioned and frankly clunky, ugly bikes are pretty inefficient compared to Bosch system bikes, hence the need for bigger batteries adding more weight. Must be a real nice ride on trails..surprised the have not shaken to bits! the choice of German and Dutch granny's

Why do you think nearly all major manufacturers have gone over to the Bosch system, it's lighter, more efficient and a far more enjoyable drive then others that's why ...

Guest JudgeMental
So how is it that YOUR opinion is informed and researched while mine biased. I am not telling anyone to buy anything in particular, but to test ride and compare and not listen to sales BS. Your "opinion" reads like an advert, which you boringly reproduce ad nauseum any time e bikes mentioned. I try and ignore you and let you say your piece, but we end up here because of your personal innuendos. You have had what, one ebike? I have had many and it has been a steep learning curve. I am a real enthusiast, if something new came out that was better I would evaluate and buy it.....I have an R&M delite 2 super mountain on order, I take my cycling seriously, thats 2 new bikes in 3 months, just keep your distance from me.

....did I say your opinion was biased? I simply said it was different from mine.

I could possibly, however, describe you as opinionated!

(I think it was actually you who questioned my opinion. :-| )

Having responded to a direct request from Val for feedback on a specific category and price of bike viz:

Step-thru; Our price range is about £1500 to £1700, and we want one that will take us up hills easily and have a good battery range, and be fairly lightweight, I was hoping for a reply from anyone who is very satisfied with the bike they have as I like to buy from recommendations if possible,

........and being quite happy to stand by what I've already posted, I see no reason to prolong any debate with yourself, especially as you have assumed your customary unpleasant manner (comme d'habitude when someone has a different opinion to your own).

(BTW, I'm not sure that changing your bike more often than I change my socks makes you an ideal candidate to advise someone who is looking for a long-term purchase - I'm still using my 1984 road bike as it is better than most I could reasonably buy to replace it - though I've just lent it to a friend as he wants to ride in L'Eroica Britannia and is breaking himself in on it. My 10 year-old Trek MTB is still giving me good service as well).

Guest JudgeMental
Robinhood - 2014-03-10 6:49 PM

I'm not sure that changing your bike more often than I change my socks makes you an ideal candidate to advise someone who is looking for a long-term purchase.

I'm undecided what's worse, your arrogance or ignorance. Just like fashion new more innovative e bike models appear frequently, the latest Bosch mark 2 system is out for 2014, and thats what I have just ordered, I am still keeping my 3 month old Haibike, that will be my daily hack, most would shudder at the cost and thats fine, but this a serious hobby, and unlike you I dont expect others to do likewise and buy a bike that hardly gets a positive mention over on pedelec.de

I posted links to at least 10 bikes on budget and within scope, just as a taster, they're nothing like what we ride. also offered to help identify a good deal if necessary, something I am good at if I do say myself, ask Hughman a convinced Kalkhoff Panasonic man, who now has two Bosch powered full suspension Haibikes.

If happy to shop further then the end of your road, real good deals on e bikes from this retailer, try a cheeky offer you may be surprised!

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Fahrrad-Becker-Lemgo

Guest JudgeMental
fairweather camper - 2014-03-11 6:29 PM

Thanks everybody, great response, just found a bike shop in Loughborough, not to far from us so will go and try out some,

Hope it's a dedicated e bike shop....should really visit a few. Please avoid the hard sell, try some proper hills and compare carefully insisting on a proper demo. personally I stick with deraileurs as Bosch being powerful, tune down the system as shimano won't guarantee hub gears over a certain power (measured in Nm). Also make sure your not looking at old stock unless reflected in price, 2013 should have Intuvia display (bigger display in centre of handlebars). Earlier bikes still on sale, fine if they suit, but should not be paying big money for them......

Guest JudgeMental
IF you decide to go for a Bosch powered bike, this picture shows the difference between the new and older operating system, top pre 2013, lower Intuvia centre console from 2013. both fine but dont pay over the odds...

displays.jpg.f6f4c8a9c16b5fbe812c94bbb793d902.jpg

We are at present in Spain at Benecassim enjoying our "cheap"E bikes along approx a 12 kilo safe cycle way safe is my key word if only it could be said about the UK Most M/H people are retired and cycling can be very hazardous in the UK so my point is how much use you can get from any E bike for the money u spend.

Guest JudgeMental

Living in London and retired, I use the bike almost daily (now that weather improving I hope).it is my main transport as wife takes the car for her commute. Being visible important and taking a position on the road also..do not be pushed into the kerb or they will try and squeeze past and that's when accidents happen. City cycling not for the timid! :-|

Europe cycling nirvana...hopefully down in Spain soon and like you say mile upon miles of safe cycling! Come on Boris get your finger out! 8-)

Pepe! BEHAVE...... :D

Hawcara - 2014-03-10 4:06 PM

Only having a 'normal' bike, what is the expected range of these bikes in average terrain.

Pedal assisted and non pedal assisted please? :-D

While the others are bickering :D

Our Freegos are advertised as being able to run for 60 miles (Maybe in Holland, with the wind behind)

Realistically about 30 miles on average hilly terrain, whatever that is ! and that leaves us with some battery to spare. That is a pedal assist type with motor on the rear nub. If the batteries are flat, wiser to be near home, or plug the charger in at the local Pub or Tearoom and enjoy a cuppa for an hour !

Rgds

JudgeMental - 2014-03-09 9:12 AM

bolero boy - 2014-03-09 9:04 AM

Eddie, have you seen Gepida before, bosch motored ebike...

http://www.reactionelectric.co.uk/newsite/gepida-ebikes/product/12-gepida-asgard

Yes Chris a fine bike from a good manufacturer with a fine reputation..everyones doing Bosch these days try one to find out why! :-D

Found this 250w version of the Bosch motored Kalkhoff, seems to be the sort of thing....

http://www.50cycles.com/product/6145260110

Guest JudgeMental
bolero boy - 2014-03-19 7:33 AM

JudgeMental - 2014-03-09 9:12 AM

bolero boy - 2014-03-09 9:04 AM

Eddie, have you seen Gepida before, bosch motored ebike...

http://www.reactionelectric.co.uk/newsite/gepida-ebikes/product/12-gepida-asgard

Yes Chris a fine bike from a good manufacturer with a fine reputation..everyones doing Bosch these days try one to find out why! :-D

Found this 250w version of the Bosch motored Kalkhoff, seems to be the sort of thing....

http://www.50cycles.com/product/6145260110

They don't say weight, doesn't have disc brakes, more for commuting then fun I would think, and not sure how it would be on a trail, but a fair price I guess for a new Bosch 2 performance series with 400 Ah battery. Gepida looks sportier and probably lighter. A quick way of comparing bikes is to price up the front shocks? One may have £300 ones and the other £60, and bikes same price, cheap shocks rubbish and probably bike better without them.

Someone mentioned my old favourites Wisper! great hub motor e bikes, have had 4 of them..but that was years ago and technology has moved on considerably.......

Archived