which E Bikes

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do any of these bikes come with stabalisers??? It's 60 years since I last rode a bike. I would love the freedon a bike would give me , but I can't keep my balance on one now.

They say you never forget how to ride a bike, but I have !!

OH do they have a riding weight limit as well?

I am not the "sylph like creature" I was then !!

PJay

When we purchased our Freegos, the company allowed you to hire from their agents before buying, then if purchased the hire price came off a (negotiated) price.

We rode around Worthing and put some climbs up the Downs as a trial, so we brought.

Rgds

Better than stabalisers Eddie

Put a basket on the front, I could go and get the "baggette" for lunch!

I think i will stick to 2 feet.

I was sugesting stabaliser tounge in cheek, trust you to come up with a solution.

We live up a very steep hill, so would not be able to use it here, even the mobility scooters don't make it.

I sugested a tandem to OH, didn't go down well!!

P

Guest JudgeMental

I can assure you Bosch, Panasonic, Kalkhoff centre drive bikes will climb any hill. When I was over 17 stone (now 15) I could get up hills that previously would make a grown man weep, they really bring back the joy of cycling....... By the way you can actually get adult stabilizers! :D

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Adult-Bike-Stabilisers-Fit-Wheels/dp/B0082A6SYC

http://www.bikecare.co.uk/adult_stabilisers.html

No excuses now...On your bike! :-D

P.S. if you want an electric tandem let me know ;-)

Guest JudgeMental
sshortcircuit - 2014-03-22 9:19 PM

I will be looking for an ebike when I get home. Following this posting I have got to give Judge 10 out of 10 for such positive input as he has really pointed me in the right direction.

Thank you for your kind words Hamish, it's a hobby I take very seriously and admittedly spend more than most others are prepared to, simply because it offers so much joy in return......When I get down to Benidorm in the autumn you are welcome to try ours :-D

antony1969 - 2014-03-23 7:52 AM

Spend money on a proper bike , if you can't pedal up a hill or go very far get off and walk and feel a lot better for it and proper cycling helps get rid of all that extra weight

Well that's a helpful comment isn't it .... not! *-)

We are also seriously considering getting some folding e-bikes as hubby has a dicky hip and even dickier knee and as a consequence we didn't use our bikes last year at all and miss being able to go out for a ride around - getting off and walking when it gets difficult isn't an option!

Mel B - 2014-03-23 11:20 PM

Spend money on a proper bike , if you can't pedal up a hill or go very far get off and walk and feel a lot better for it and proper cycling helps get rid of all that extra weight

We are also seriously considering getting some folding e-bikes as hubby has a dicky hip and even dickier knee and as a consequence we didn't use our bikes last year at all and miss being able to go out for a ride around - getting off and walking when it gets difficult isn't an option!

Chill out Mel , it is like you a say a comment that's all , not littered with name calling or the likes just purely my view

If hubby has a dicky hip and knee carting a dog in a sack on his back ain't guna help either is it ?

Guest JudgeMental

Ignore it Mel a typical pig ignorent response from someone who probably drives everywhere!

Would think twice re the folders as no way

as nice to ride as full size bikes....

Guest JudgeMental
The perception that e bikes the choice of just the old and disabled a nonsense......in Europe E bikes now used by increasing numbers, including plenty of fit people especially for commuting and on mountains and simply for FUN! You really have no idea what you are missing.......

Judge, I'm currently considering the Haibike x duro trekking, to replace my trek rear hub powered bionx bike. Attracted by the central drive and battery and also the gearing. However over on pedelecs forum there is discussion on hub v centre drive. As someone who has had both for a while, what do you think?

Thanks

Bill

JudgeMental - 2014-03-24 7:19 AM

Ignore it Mel a typical pig ignorent response from someone who probably drives everywhere!

Would think twice re the folders as no way

as nice to ride as full size bikes....

Ignore what ? What's so offensive ?

I choose to cycle and test myself even though I too have health issues you on the other hand choose to sit back and chill and let your 'expensive' bike take the strain

I have a mid weight hybrid/tourer which i ride everywhere. My wife has a Panasonic crank drive ebike, as do our two pals (one who used to be a semi-pro cyclist but whose knees are shot).

When we are out together on a fairly easy ride, its no problem for me to keep up, however, when the terrain gets hilly, i can drop down through the gears and climb pretty well, but not at the sustained pace (and ease) of the others on their ebikes.

You can set these bikes to offer only marginal assistance (they are proper pedelecs, not mopeds) and the riders get a genuine workout when using them.

Its just that, we are i our 60s (wife a bit younger) and we dont need to feel like we've completed a 'tour' stage on every trip.

Of i haven't generated sufficient endorphins, i can always go for a run, my knees are ok.

Guest JudgeMental

Bill, Most want e bikes for hill climbing and centre drives best for this, it's peddle assist, near silent and bionic in nature. There is no delay, power there immediately, you step on peddle and away you go, plus you have a choice of power delivery so can stretch the range, it's far more like cycling, more natural.

Hub drives are crude by comparison, can be impressive at first because they can be cheap. it's power on or off, noisy, heavy, and not so good on hills, can be more impressive on the flat, but why do we have e bikes if not for hills. They have throttles, but a proper E bikes does not need one...., nothing but low powered mopeds. There are better version but these expensive.

There is another type and that is e bikes with direct drive motors. Smooth and quiet but again not so great on hills as they can have overheating issues, not cheap either.

You just have to go to a couple of dedicated e bike retailers, test ride and compare

Haibike a great choice, I recently bought a Xduro RC and it's a cracking bike, great fun....you can buy in Germany cheaper.

JudgeMental - 2014-03-24 7:51 AM

The perception that e bikes the choice of just the old and disabled a nonsense......in Europe E bikes now used by increasing numbers, including plenty of fit people especially for commuting and on mountains and simply for FUN! You really have no idea what you are missing.......

Come off it Eddie. Now I have no wish to annoy you, or anyone else, but a fit cyclist is not going to use an e bike. I certainly have never seen one on the North Wales forest trails, which are now the centre of mountain biking in the uk. I have nothing against them and if a person is unfit, disabled etc and wants to get a bit of very gentle exercise, why not but lets not pretend budding Mark Cavindish,s are now getting on them. I have also never understood that some have more power thing, I thought they were limited to 250 watts, 1/4 horsepower, or is this not so? My scooter starter motor has more power than this any old electric motor will produce that amount. I would have thought the control system and battery rather than the motor or where it was placed was the important factor.

1 horsepower is 746watts, so nearer 1/3 than 1/4.

borrowed and tried a crank drive Kalkoff in Bennecasim last year and was grinning ear to ear when I handed the bike over to the wife. We both then went for a ride, her on electric and me on my normal bike. She thought it was quite funny that I was puffing and blowing trying to keep up with her. Our decision now is £800 each or £1800 each. Probably will go for the Kalkoffs unless any one else knows different.

rupert123 - 2014-03-24 12:57 PM

Come off it Eddie. Now I have no wish to annoy you, or anyone else, but a fit cyclist is not going to use an e bike. I certainly have never seen one on the North Wales forest trails, which are now the centre of mountain biking in the uk. I have nothing against them and if a person is unfit, disabled etc and wants to get a bit of very gentle exercise, why not but lets not pretend budding Mark Cavindish,s are now getting on them. I have also never understood that some have more power thing, I thought they were limited to 250 watts, 1/4 horsepower, or is this not so? My scooter starter motor has more power than this any old electric motor will produce that amount. I would have thought the control system and battery rather than the motor or where it was placed was the important factor.

Go steady Rupert , anything other than positive comments on the ebike subject may result in a few sharp words from Mr Motorhome Matters and we don't want to upset the masses of able bodied Europeans either who now choose ebikes rather than bother with all that pedalling

Thanks for the offer Eddie, however reading about the type of bike you have it would be wasted on me. Just approaching 70 and there is no way off-road is going to be in my agenda. Sunday I walked from La Torreta up to El Cici for the flee market. Thankfully there are numerous seats on the way so a few rests taken and on return to uk will try to get to the bottom of this problem.

I am not too keen on a bike rack to carry bike so am more interested in one that can be folded/dismantled and stored on board. Long runs are not on the agenda so high performance speced bike not required so its down to a cheap and cheerful.

Hopefully will eventually meet up later on in the year however plans not yet finalised for trip.

Lucky at El Cici as I picked up a second warning triangle for €3, so worth the effort.

antony1969 - 2014-03-24 4:42 PM

rupert123 - 2014-03-24 12:57 PM

Go steady Rupert , anything other than positive comments on the ebike subject may result in a few sharp words from Mr Motorhome Matters and we don't want to upset the masses of able bodied Europeans either who now choose ebikes rather than bother with all that pedalling

On my wife's e bike, you can set the assistance to one of three levels on the lowest setting, the torque sensor rates what power you are providing and the motor then adds 25%......the other two levels of assistance are roughly 50% and 75%. You most definitely have to pedal the bike, you still get a good workout, but that 25% bonus just means that cycling into the wind or up a gradient can be done without becoming too taxing and making the whole trip gar more enjoyable and gives a far more extended range to many. I can assure you that (although past 60 now) i am fit enough to cycle 30 miles or more on reasonable roads without too much difficulty (as i have done today) but i will be getting an e bike in the next few weeks. My wife enjoyed the trip today (using the lowest power setting) but would have found the wind an issue on an unassisted bike. Incidently, her battery was 40% consumed after the trip, so gives a nominal range of 75 assisted miles at this level. Yes, they arent cheap, but a good one is a great companion.

antony1969 - 2014-03-24 6:42 AM

Chill out Mel , it is like you a say a comment that's all , not littered with name calling or the likes just purely my view

That doesn't mean it was a nice comment though, it was critical for the sake of it without giving thought to WHY people might NEED to use e-bikes. *-)

If hubby has a dicky hip and knee carting a dog in a sack on his back ain't guna help either is it ?

There you go again! :$ The photo of Midge in the papoose was taken in 2008 when he was poorly and couldn't enjoy walks, it was the easiest way to carry him so he didn't miss out when we took the other dogs out, and hubby didn't have a problem with his hip/knee then.

1622378956_Midgeinback-pack.jpg.c2b751b0c9b7ef0d3c71a84a81262c3a.jpg

Archived