Sockets and connectors

Suda

Are there any sockets, connectors or adapters that can be used when ones van only has a three pin socket and one for a 12 volt plug?

We have cameras, ipad and phones that require charging as well as bike batteries. Can I use a standard 3 pin plug adapter like we use at home? Is it costly to have new sockets wired in? The tv has it's own socket in the wardrobe. On hook up there will be time to charge I suppose, also when driving. But what do you use in the cigarette socket? Any pictures and advice most welcome. I can cook and keep house but need a man for electrics and mechanics!! Thanks

If the 12v socket is the one in the cab (cigar lighter>) , then you may find it is only live when the engine is on the one in our van is, but we do have other sockets You can get extension plugs for 12v, and you could use an extension lead with sockets on for other use, but you would need to be on hook up(as you would use at home)

We use the cigarette/cigar socket for the Sat Nav, when driving

PJay

You can get an adapter that fits into a 12 volt cigarette lighter socket that converts the 12 volts down to the 5 volts or so that an ipad etc need to charge via a USB lead.

I use one like this which I got from Maplins although there are lots on the market from dirt cheap to crazy prices.

Just make sure that the one you buy is clearly labelled as rated for an ipad as they do take more power than a phone and some cheap adapters do not always work.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/MITSUGAWA-charger-CA5521-approved-packaging/dp/B004S8GS7Y/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1394381366&sr=8-9&keywords=car+adaptor+for+ipad

Something like this gives you an extra 12 volt socket and if you don't mind trailing wires is easier than fitting extra 12 volt sockets - which any decent auto electrician can do for you if you prefer?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ring-volt-In-Car-Multisocket-Socket/dp/B0019UPEYW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1394381583&sr=8-1&keywords=12volt+adaptor

Or something like this which just gives you more outlets and a longer lead?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Triple-Splitter-Charger-Adapter-Supply/dp/B003YTSS4Y/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1394381583&sr=8-5&keywords=12volt+adaptor

Hope that helps but if not please do ask again.

Suda - 2014-03-09 3:02 PM....................We have cameras, ipad and phones that require charging as well as bike batteries. Can I use a standard 3 pin plug adapter like we use at home? Is it costly to have new sockets wired in? The tv has it's own socket in the wardrobe. On hook up there will be time to charge I suppose, also when driving. .................Thanks

You can use extension leads in your 240V three pin socket as at home. The only proviso is that you don't try to draw too much power from that socket.

You need to look at the circuit breaker for the power circuit to see its rating. This will almost certainly be stated in Amps. Mains is 240 Volts, so multiply the number of Amps the breaker allows by 240 to get the maximum power you can take in Kilowatts.

Everything you plug in to the three pin extension lead will have its power consumption stated in Watts or Kilowatts (= 1,000 Watts). So long as you never use a combination of appliances in the extension lead that added together exceed the number of Kilowatts you can draw from the circuit, you will be OK.

You could get more sockets installed, but it might get costly if you want several and the mains unit is unsuitable to supply several circuits. Also, bear in mind that installing mains sockets in motorhomes requires the services of someone to cut out the mounting holes, and not all electricians are neat with saws. If you want it done neatly it would probably be better to go to a caravan or motorhome dealer because the workshop staff they employ tend to be multi-taskers, and also will be familiar with the kinds of equipment installed in vans. Probably not the cheapest source, but likely to be the neatest and most sympathetic to your van.

If there is space, the easiest and cheapest hit of all should be to replace the single socket with a twin, and I think I have even seen triples.

These 240V sockets will only work when on EHU. You would have to use an inverter, or rely on the 12V socket to charge small items while driving.

Thankyou all and Tracker a special thanks for the Amazon links. Brian I agree with your theory of having holes cut in the panels. I will try all your suggestions gentlemen and not overload when on hook up.

Well I've just added an extra mains socket, 12v socket and hard wired the i-sat and skybox to switches. All fairly simple to do so I'm sure any half decent sparks could do it using standard electricians hole saws. Hardess job was routing the mains cable from consumer unit at rear to front dinette.

We use 4 or 6 socket mains extension leads with switchable sockets. Saves a lot of faffing about as you can leave items plugged in but not on.

From memory, we got ours from Wilkinson's, or Dyas's

As`others have advised, watch your amperage loadings. But the draw of a couple of cycle chargers, ipad and telephone came to just under 5 amps when I checked.

Rgds

Archived