Accidentally avoided paying the tolls from Biarritz to Bordeaux......

Guest pelmetman

Guest pelmetman

For some strange reason I appear to some forumites as a tightwad? :-S..............

But I digress.....after overnighting as usual at the Aire in Biarritz, incidentally they too seem to have suffered with the winter storms, as the concrete steps that lead to the beaches have almost all been wrecked 8-).....

But I digress again..........anyway decided to wander up the coast road and visit the Aire at Capbreton for future reference, and carried on up the coast until the speed bumps got the better of me *-)...........rejoined the N10 at Lesperon........still well South of the toll booths at Pissos :-|...............but just before Pissos saw the sign peage 3 km and the turning for Pissos 2 km.............Now I'd always fancied visiting Pissos, so on a whim decided to take the Pissos option :D.................

It appears though..... it is now part of our Gallic campervanist friends pilgrimage too ;-)..........as we passed loads coming the other way :->...........

Unfortunately.........when I rejoined the N10 at Saugnacq-et-Muret I'd missed the Toll booths :'(........

Even worse whilst waving gaily to my Froggie counterparts...... I'd blinked and missed Pissos 8-).......

Never mind..... I'll make more of an effort to view its delights next time I head South B-)

Reminds me some years ago towing a caravan on the A6 radiator went in the car made it to services called the Autoroute breakdown like you have to, got fed after an hour of waiting so I had a wander round found the gate onto the service road at the back of the service area unlocked. Drove round opened the gate drove out onto the D road called normal breakdown company man from local garage arrived in 15min and avoided 20 quid in tolls. (lol)

Dave if anyone was to call you a Tightwad they need to look at all the French and European Trucks/buses/cars/motorhomes trundling up our Motorways free of charge, so anyone who avoids paying tolls over there by any reason has my Backing. I avoid Toll roads by choice, my prerogative . 

Corky 8 - 2014-03-10 6:34 PM

Dave if anyone was to call you a Tightwad they need to look at all the French and European Trucks/buses/cars/motorhomes trundling up our Motorways free of charge, so anyone who avoids paying tolls over there by any reason has my Backing. I avoid Toll roads by choice, my prerogative . 

You are soo Right!!

Guest Peter James

look at all the French and European Trucks/buses/cars/motorhomes trundling up our Motorways free of charge,  

Not really the same thing. France has about 5 times as many foreign registered trucks on its roads as it is a Transit Country - traffic passes through Britain to Spain, Spain to Italy etc etc. Wheras (apart for a tiny amount of traffic to Southern Ireland) Britain is not a Transit country - all the traffic on British roads has business in Britain.

Peter, it may only be a tiny amount of trucks compared with France and Germany and as you say they are both a lot bigger Countries than the UK,I live in a town on the A75 route which as you know is the Road to Stranraer /Cairnryan ferries and the amount of Foreign trucks on the A75 is not as tiny as you think, IMO with no toll Roads in the UK its cheaper for European companies to deliver the goods themselves than to use UK based Hauliers.as they carry Long distance fuel tanks filled with their cheaper Diesel.

Guest pelmetman
Peter James - 2014-03-11 3:52 PM

look at all the French and European Trucks/buses/cars/motorhomes trundling up our Motorways free of charge,  

Not really the same thing. France has about 5 times as many foreign registered trucks on its roads as it is a Transit Country - traffic passes through Britain to Spain, Spain to Italy etc etc. Wheras (apart for a tiny amount of traffic to Southern Ireland) Britain is not a Transit country - all the traffic on British roads has business in Britain.

In Lincolnshire many lorries you see on the road are foreign owned :-|............especially Spanish vehicles doing the veg run from Murcia, bringing us salad crops and returning with root crops.............It appears to be only viable for Spanish trucks to do this run? :-S...............Although maybe the fuel being so much cheaper along with their lorries getting preferential tolls on Spanish roads have something to do with it .............

So much for the EU creating a level playing field *-)...............

Archived